Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood I'm puzzled. You've got a GH2 and a GH3 side by side. Based on @shian's description of the issues, it should be relatively easy to see the problem for yourself. Can you not reproduce what he sees? Not a criticism, just curious.

• @ahbleza Im just clearing up which IPB mode shian is using in his tests, I don't want to reproduce things till Ive finished my own 'slightly' different test. Until then I won't be saying anything. Be out at the weekend.

As for the LCD/EVF discrepancy I'll run a few tests.

Here's a quick lit scene, LCD screen test. Both GH2 and GH3 on Standard 0,0,0,0 WB 3200, 14-140 Lens each at 14mm, 50 ss, ISO 200, same aperture. LCD screens both set to zeros (neutral). The GH3 LCD shows more accurate colour rendition to the scene being imaged. The GH2 EVF looked similar to the GH3 LCD and EVF according to my eye. The odd one out was the GH2 LCD.

Here's an EVF shootout at the same scene same settings as above (gh2 Left, GH3 right).

Incidentally, I am not in dispute with Shian at all. I just havent made any judgement yet until I complete my own tests this week.

GH2 Left v GH3 Right.JPG
    4608 x 3456 - 4M
    GH2 P1000755.JPG
    4608 x 3456 - 3M
    gh3 P1000744.JPG
    4608 x 3456 - 4M
  • @driftwood Fair enough. Happy to wait. I don't have a dog in this fight anyway, as I decided to stick with my GH2 while the gnomes down under work on producing my BMCC-MFT... sometime around April 1st, 2013 if my luck is any guide. :-)

• that makes me think we have a bad unit.

And I understand the confusion with the modes. It's quite confusing with all the new rec modes, that some of my verbiage would not be clear.

gh3gh2back.jpg
    1600 x 1066 - 350K
  • Could be... @shian - I will run further test at different ISOs and light conditions later though.

• If Panasonic is already getting bad unit, then damn. If I remember well @shian you had a bad GH2 unit too back when you bought yours?

• Can someone tell me why footage shot at AVCHD-24mbps-30p, imports from camera into FCPX 10.0.6 as AVCHD60i and shows up in FCPX as 29.97i ???. The AVCHD-24mbps-24p stuff imports correctly as 23.98p.

The 24mbps-30p(i) clips play back in FCPX with a step frame and look like animation. Once transcoded to Prores they play more smoothly. What's up with that?

The 24mbps-24p clips playback back fine (I mean with the same bothersome stutter as all the rest of the formats) without being transcoded to Prores.

• @shian This reminds me on my very first digital camera 10 years ago (it was pocket-size Canon), its LCD screen got damaged by time and its colors looked about same like what I saw on your photo. If the colors of the LVF of your GH3 are fine, go to replace your unit for another one.

• Driftwood, So the best set up is ? : 50 P Neutral / photostyle natural -5-5-0-5 (or 0-0-0-0 ?) / shutter 50 (or more ?) …

• @driftwood Nick, please answer me about that flickering.... on your "GH3 Review Part 7" your actor stands on the dark part of the street, it is bigger part (1:12''-1:20'') and it flickers on just any screen where I watched it. Is that flickering also on the original file and was this shot done by the 12-35 lens?

• @klodavid The above test was not related to your question. It was merely trying to see discrepancies. There is no best setup in my opinion. There are flatter profiles which Im still experimenting with.

@tetakpatak I will relate findings about any flickering probs (zooming panning judder etc) with the 12-35 later today. I need to double check a few things.

• Guys, we are searching for GH3 wiki maintainer.

• I have also been comparing gh3 72mbps intra in 25p vs gh2 Orion 100mbps and I have to say the gh2 is massively better.

I had a shoot yesterday and noticed terrible moire and micro jittering round hard edges. I also find the viewfinder very difficult to verify my focus in comparison to the gh2. The evf and oled have a very pinkish hue.

It's the first time I have looked at my rushes and not been impressed with the quality. When i always has with the gh2. I sadly will be going back to my trusty gh2!

• @Drizzle...can you post your videos so we can see ...maybe there ´s a bunch of fail cameras out there. I was one the first to pick the GH1 in USA. After 20 days I had to return my camera to Panasonic ´cos its curtain shutter could not open anymore. They fix it and returned , but the problem occurred again. Then, after another fix , the camera is still going well up today ...maybe those firsts GH3 some of them are just bad assembled

• @driftwood...you earlier mentioned that your GH3 produced clean HDMI out in 24p. Now, I tested this today with a Intensity Extreme and recorded with Blackmagic Media Express. Now, the only setting I got this to work is when I eighter have the GH3 Video Out in "Auto" or "1080i". I know for sure that the Intensity supports 1080 24p. I managed to get 1080 50i. The moment I switch GH3 video out to 1080 24p, my live feed is gone (note, I did remember to adapt the Media Express settings to 24p!).

By the way, the footage I captured with HDMI out compared to the ALL-I 72 MBit is like day and night. HDMI out looks really really great.

I read some posts that it is common that HDMI out is 50i. But if there is a setting in the GH3, it must work have the 24p option.

Anybody else having this issue.

• we were gonna test the Atmos Ninja with the GH3, but were told by the Atmos people that the Ninja won't record what the GH3 outputs. So we skipped it. We were told it outputs 60p (or maybe it was 60i) and that the Ninja couldn't do anything with that.

For now. It looks like the 50M setting gives the best results for 24p on the GH3

• I did test the GH3 with the Ninja2. It worked fine. Very slight difference in contrast but the quality was very similar to the internal recording.

• @shian ...seems that the GH3 always outputs 1080 50i, no matter if set to PAL or NTSC. When I open the footage in FCPX, it shows up as 25p. Note that I did not use conform just to see the difference. ALL-I 72Mbit shows up at 23.98 but does look really bad compared to what I captured on HDMI out

• @collierlandry was told differently, so we skipped the test. But thank you for testing it for us. Good to know.

• The GH2 can be recorded with Ninja 2 when running in 1080i50, but not in 1080p24. Maybe it's still the same in GH3?

• The GH3 switches on 1080p mode on Panasonic Viera screens when HDMI output is selected to 1080p and playing back 24p. I didn't say I'd tested it with an Atomos.

• Would someone please tell me if the AF-tracking works well on GH3? Same feature that has been crippled from final GH2...

• Tried to tell people about the AVCHD stuff before the camera was even released... guess people really only see numbers at first.

• @valdi99 AF-Tracking in vodeo mode works fine as long as the target is not too small and does not move too fast.