Personal View site logo
Panasonic GX7 aka GX2, with IBIS topic
  • 499 Replies sorted by
  • @16pads footage looks awesome..one question ..did you us some grain preset in post or is it the original gx7 grain? ..if yes ..what iso did you shot with ?....

• I got mine last weekend, precisely because of Jeff Keller's negative review on the EVF, as I was so curious about it.

After playing it for a while, my opinion is that the EVF is not quite as good as that of the EM1 in terms of the size and resolution, but I could hardly see any of the bad things (rainbow, tearing) that bothered Keller so much.

Have been thinking that Jeff Keller either got a defective sample, or has developed defective vision himself (e.g. dyslexia), or both.

BTW, the Consumer Reports rates GX7's EVF higher than that of E-M5 (excellent vs. very good)

• Consumer reports - for a normal consumer, a GX7 is really better than a D70. :)

The DPreview review put a lot of weight in the EVF tearing - an issue that do not affect everybody (never was an issue in my GH2 EVF, which is a sequential field one too). And disappointedly‎ the reviewer was Jeff Keller - former owner of the dcresource.com, I always liked his reviews in dcresource.

But I'll get my GX7 in the next week. :)

• The Consumer Reports, in contrast to the Dpreview, goes the other way giving the GX7 the highest score of 75, way ahead of all other cameras listed there.

Some examples: E-M5: 68, Canon D70: 72, Nikon D7100: 72. Interesting way of rating cameras

• Let's hope for the best. As I understand GF5 is last m43 camera without public firmware.

• Updated firmware version 1.2 for GX7:

1. Manual focus operation is now available for the interchangeable lens with no focus ring, such as H-FS12032 lens (GM1 kit lens), by pressing "</>" arrow-keys in back of the camera

2. [Flash Adjust.] (Adjustment of flash output) now can be assigned to the Fn button in the [Custom] menu

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index.html

I guess, it's matter of time to add 1. to firmware of the rest of Panasonic micro4/3 cameras.

• @16pads, Hey that video looks good. Nice film aesthetic.

• clowns at the dpreview who rated the gx7 relative low but gave the gm1 the "gear of the year", you would think the gm1is the best m43 cam

Something tells me that GM1 has bigger margins for Panasonic (and Amazon), so, it was easy choice.

• Sensor wise the gx7 is definitely (approximately 15%) better, as you can see at the dxomark. Others especially the form factor are personal preference.

Or if you believe the clowns at the dpreview who rated the gx7 relative low but gave the gm1 the "gear of the year", you would think the gm1is the best m43 cam

• Hi, i am looking to buy either the g6 or the gx7 for video. does anyone have any comparisons? i know that the gx7 has larger pixels on its new sensor but does that really make a difference in the video? mic input on the g6 isn't that important to me as i would use external sound. I have heard the g6 is less sharp in 60p, is this the same for the gx7? according to the specs, both cameras have a lower bitrate for 60p which could be the reason for that. finally gx7 has the tilt screen and the g6 has the articulated screen, would either be good for filming? thanks so much!!!!

• Holy Cow, someone leaned on the saturation slider.

LOL. Btw, it is not simple saturation, more complex shit.

• Holy Cow, someone leaned on the saturation slider.

• pass:12345

Another try.

It is a simple yet very complete package which could satisfy advanced amateurs and professional photographers who engage in a wide range of photography, including reportage, street, wedding, portrait and event. With its excellent video performance, it is an especially interesting option for those who also enjoy hybrid photography and video.

http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerareviews.com/2013/11/18/the-one-lumix-to-rule-them-all-a-panasonic-gx7-full-review/

oil8.jpg
    800 x 579 - 160K
    oil6.jpg
    800 x 584 - 115K
    oil7.jpg
    800 x 620 - 97K
    • Panasonic Lumix GX7 (& the Nauticam GX7 housing) underwater *

All I can say is that the stills and video footage are very impressive indeed and on an equal footing to the GH3 but without the higher data rate and frame speed options. Since the GH3 is the standard by which a lot of SLRs are judged for video performance that puts the GX7 on a high pedestal and all this in a sub $1000 body.

For me, as a mainly video shooter, the final attraction is the tilting LCD screen (rather than articulated as on the GH3 and GH3). This allows the camera to be held in a much more ergonomic way with your elbows tucked in rather than at arms length which is rather like shooting with a 2 legged tripod.

It’s just nice to have everything built-in unlike the early Sony NEX and Olympus Pens with their add on viewfinders and flashes.

There is also a little heralded feature aimed mainly at video shooters called ‘Extra tele conversion’. For video shooters underwater the 8mm fisheye would become a 38mm with very close focus capability and the excellent Olympus 12-50mm would become a close focus 57-240mm!

NA-GX7 is smaller than their [Nauticam] GH3 housing yet there is still room for a leak detector/vacuum system and a most ingenious control to raise and lower the built in flash.

• If this guy Tyson is right about the IBIS performance i will 100% go for GX7 ... If IBIS will somehow work in video ... also no doubt what i am gonna buy ...

... but i think there will be more reviews and clarity until i got the cash together ;)

• The GX7 vs the OM-D E-M5

I think that both cameras are great cameras. The deciding factors really come down to the interaction with the camera as well as the features as a set of tools for me, and in that, I do prefer the Panasonic GX7. The GX7 has the great benefit of being a year and a half younger though too, so I would certainly assume that it would perform compared to the EM5.

• @16pads

No, try to keep topic free from hack discussions.

• Mr.Vitaly, any plans for hacks for the GX7 ? :)

• Thanks Guys,

Marciok, I actually enjoy shooting photos with it too. But mainly for personal little experiments. I love the expressiveness of this lens. Whenever I switch to something "new" and clean which usually costs 10 or 20 times more, I miss the flavour of those little gimmicks.

• The GX7 truly delivers. We can say it has the superb image image-quality. Noise, color, WB are all good and metering is outstanding. Dynamic-range is one step behind, as is critical sharpness.

http://www.neocamera.com/camera/panasonic/gx7/review

sony36.jpg
    800 x 594 - 49K
  • Nice work @16pads! Looks a lot like the GH3 to me, great to see out of such a package.

• @16pads Great video. I have this Fotasy too and it is amazing how good this little thing is for video (I hate the lens for pictures, hehehe).

(and this last Arctic Monkeys album is amazing)

• Little tests I did with the GX7.

password : 12345

Overall I am very happy with what it does. Somehow the image feels cleaner and more controllable than the GH3. But this might not be true, I guess it is too early to know.