Personal View site logo
Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7│ЅріzZ T6│Nebula T7│Drewnet T9│
  • 1811 Replies sorted by
  • @schlanger77, those first couple of shots are striking with beautiful colors and amazing bokeh. Just when I was thinking that f1.4 has a completely unusable shallow depth of field for any real purpose though, those indoor shots were real good with it. I guess it was just a matter of camera distance from the subject?

Was this all shot with 24H?

• @IVIaverick52, I apologize for the confusing sentence, I swear that I knew what I meant when I wrote it! Lol

At any rate, what I meant was that my camera and card seem fine with 24H mode on AFC at 148Mb/s, so I take that to be an indication that the card can safely accept writing at that bitrate.

Then when I bump down to the SH modes that are causing "write speed" errors and stopping the recording, it is at bitrates between 43Mb/s (Drewnet T9 SH mode), and 74Mb/s (Moon T7 FSH mode). This is what I was trying to get at in that confusing sentence is that Moon T7 24H mode writes to my card successfully at over twice the bitrate of the modes that are causing recording to quit because of "write speed" errors. I hope that is written in a way that better conveys what I meant, it's a bit confusing still! :-)

Regarding my cards, they are both the Extreme Pro "95MB/s" cards with similar test results to each other, but upon speed testing with Crystal Disk Mark the results do vary wildly depending on the type of test. At BEST, my cards have sequential read speeds in the 96MB/s range, but the very best sequential write speeds are only about 83MB/s. Using my 8 gig card as an example, for 512K the read speed is 87.5MB/s, but the write speed is already down to 5.14MB/s. The results for 4K are 6.7MB/s read, and 1.7MB/s write, and for the 4KQD32 test (whatever that means) the read speed is 6.3MB/s, and the write speed is .91MB/s.

Basically I have no idea what this means as far as which type of test gives relevant results, but from the fact that the camera seems to write the Moon T7 24H files just fine at 148Mb/s, I think that means that it is accepting at least 18.5MB/s of data to write to the card. Very confusing to me, can anyone explain this stuff?

Thanks in advance! :)

• @Tjabo are you saying that 24H on Moon is a lower bitrate than DrewNet's 720p60 SH mode? I find that hard to believe lol. Your last sentence confused me a bit regarding the bitrate of the footage an the Sandisk Extreme Pro card. Bear in mind that the cards are rated at MB/s while recording codecs are rated at Mb/s (lowercase b) MegaBytes vs Megabits. There are 8 bits per Byte, so a codec with a 100Mb/s data rate is actually using 12.5 MB/s (speed measurement of memory cards) but it is common practice that for reliability, a card should be able to write 1.5x the speed of the video codec, so in theory you should be able to record something like Spizz on a card rated at 20MB/s write speed.

• password: leica

• Drewnet T9

• Moon T7 and Davinci Resolve - a way too yellow image to start with, but it works in the end.

nacher.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 426K
    vorher.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 843K
  • @FrankPisolo grazie mille! :) don't remember which set, sorry,i installed the patch a while ago..(edit:actually i think set e) @Mirrorkisser thanks a lot man, moon t7 and canon fd 50mm f1.4 and 35mm f2.0, don't remember if i also used a 12mm f2 Oly for the wide shots

btw, if someone feels like watching the all video (8min long) here it is, it is very dance oriented

• I just did as direct of a comparison as I can, between Drewnet T9 SH mode and Moon T7 (set E) H mode for my high motion Glidecam'ing purposes. This was all on 14mm, and best results between f8 and f11 (not exactly sure where the ultimate sweet spot is with this lens, but but it does a pretty nice job for the cheapy that it is.

Moon T7 H mode records at a slightly lower bitrate than the SH mode on Drewnet, but with AFC and OIS active on the Panny 14-42, it is at least as reliable in my testing. Most importantly, the Moon T7 H mode seems to have a barely discernible edge in image quality over the Drewnet SH mode.

And then if I want to run in manual focus I can still bump up to SH and get almost 2 minute shot length. At f11, the depth of focus seems plenty sufficient, and the detail is quite awesome.

I'm still struggling with the question of whether my 32gig and 8gig 95MB/s cards are limiting my shot length. It seems that the highest bitrate 24H runs fine at over twice the bitrate going onto the card...... Thoughts?

• @formalhaut3 very nice! i think its not possible to make the gh2 look less videoish than you did. nice shots!

which lenses did you use?

• @formalhaut3 you are a true artist! :)

@IVIaverick52, did you test any settings other than 24H, and were you using AFC at all? 24H has worked for me with every hack so far under all conditions, but SH on Moon T7 and SpizZ T6 is giving me fits unless I go to manual focus. Then I can get about 2 minutes out of it before it shuts off because of insufficient write speed on my card (it says).

• @fomalhaut3 wow molto bello!!!! moon t7 e o d?

• This is my latest work(only the teaser) done with moon t7 I used a mix of fd50 fd35

• @IVIaverick52

Nebula would crash on high ISO settings with OIS turned on using a Sandisk Ultra 30MB/s card on 24H

May I ask you what lenses you used and what "high ISO" means? Maybe 3200? :-)

• I tested Nebula T7 and Spizz T6 a bit last night and was surprised to find that spizz was more stable than nebula on my camera. Nebula would crash on high ISO settings with OIS turned on using a Sandisk Ultra 30MB/s card on 24H, but operated fine at lower ISO's. Spizz oddly enough worked fine at all settings with the Ultra card. Moon is a no go, definitely need an Extreme Pro card for that (budget doesn't allow it currently unforunately). All the tests I did were about 7 minute clips as I was short on time, I'll see how well they hold up on 32GB and 64GB cards with high movement subjects (snow storm currently happening in northern Colorado). Putting this out there for anyone wanting to use Cluster X on slower cards.

• @pchristoph for color grading video of vodka, which softwere did you use and moon t7 D(24) or E(23.98)?

• @jasonthomas77 @pcristoph for your great videos you have used moon t7 ver. E(23.983p) or D(24p)? Thanks

• Shot with Moon T7 and Contax Zeiss lenses:

Also, if you like the video, please feel free to vote for it in the MOGAanywhere video contest at https://review.wizehive.com/voting/view/mogamegavideo/19440/1682915

• Hi all, here is a video I did for a local charity LostCatsBrighton back in July. It was shot on a GH2 (Moon 7) & a G5 as the second camera.

• @Producer - The best image comes from a flat profile or log profile. As for white balance I used indoor white balance (little light bulb icon) and went green on the white balance grid. Doing so will give the footage a blueish tint. To fix it I used the RGB Color Corrector to fix the white balance. This is a noise reduction technique specific only to the GH2. See the following video from the Drew Network:

• @victorgh2, nice video! From having used my T3i and now the GH3, I think I can tell the footage apart (my GH2 shoots sharper, higher resolution looking shots than my T3i), can you say at all which shots were with which camera?

Also, what was the setup of your cameras as far as lenses and firmware hacks/settings/framerates, etc.? Very curious!

• @T1000: Hmm, if I use Smooth -2 -2 -2 -2, I'd get very flat image. Obviously your video is not straight from GH2, i.e. post graded, right? Which WB did you use?

• A wedding video my buddy and I shot. He filmed with canon t2i and I used gh2.

• @Tjabo 24p will give jittery motion. Use higher frame rate or higher shutter speed. 1/125 and above will reduce jittery motion when filming 24p but you'll need more light depending on the scenery.

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters