Personal View site logo
Nikon D5200 topic
  • 651 Replies sorted by
  • Videos looked attractive, though not quite as sharp as the still images. As is the case when shooting still images, using Live View tends to slow down the auto focus slightly. It can swim in and out a bit in tough lighting situations or as a result of movement, though this is in general minimal. This isn't unique, but is endemic to Live View technology. When using the viewfinder, AF area mode has six options: single point, dynamic area (9, 21 or 39 points), 3D tracking and auto area AF. In Live View, your selections are fewer, but not terribly restricted - you can use face priority, wide area, normal area, or subject tracking AF. Still, in my testing the camera could focus and shoot in 0.5 second when using the viewfinder; in Live View mode it took almost 2 seconds.

Shots were accurately exposed and sharp in almost all cases, and the auto focus performed well, almost always getting my subject in focus, even when tracking was necessary, and doing quite well in low light situations too. The most impressive characteristic was the low noise at high ISO settings. Even shots taken at ISO 12800 using the monochrome filter looked very detailed, with a small enough amount of noise

The 24-megapixel D5200 offers a lot of features and sophistication for an entry-level price. Its high image quality, low noise at high ISO settings, and numerous adjustments to color balance, saturation, etc., make it a camera that can really grow with a beginner and keep more sophisticated shooters happy.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/nikon/d5200-dslr/nikon-d5200-dslr-review.html

gx5.jpg
    800 x 531 - 108K
  • Music video shoot with Nikon D5200 and Flaat 11 slight collor correct

• http://rungunshoot.com/nikon-d5200-studio-and-documentary-footage/

Check Brandon's vimeo channel for the test he made using the D5200.

• d5200.jpg
    800 x 524 - 174K
    d5201.jpg
    800 x 534 - 95K
  • I have been shooting with the D5200 since the summer and I absolutely love the video quality... Here is something I shot. Let me know if you have any questions or comments!

• @mojo43 Very good video. What lenses did you used? What Profile? (Flaat,portrait, landscape) I have a Nikon 5200 and I'm not able to get these great pictures!!!

• @paglez Thanks! I shot Standard with contrast bumped down 2 notches and sharpening at 2. I shot with a Sigma 30mm F1.4 and and some of the slow mo was done with the Sony Rx100.

How come you are having trouble? What lenses are you using?

• I'm using kit lens (18-55). Flaat 11 style. I get a very noticeable linear pattern noise, specially in low light shots.

• @paglez Try shooting in standard with the contrast down and get the exposure right in camera. I have seen the noise before, but it typically only happens when I am not getting the exposure right in camera.

• I will try it. Thanks

• Hi all,

Is there some way to reset the camera shutter count?

Thanks

• Hi, can someone tell me hot to load this faat 11 profile? Is it valide on its own, nothing else we need, some other in-camera settings suggest? Thanks a lot I'm thinking to get this nikon d5200 as a less expensive option than the others, also: which cheap lens do you suggest? One doitall.

Thanks

• Impressive low light results.

• Do you guys use the histogram for video shooting? What histogram situation is best expected for flaat profiles? I notice pattern noise in the far left zone of the histogram and avoid shooting low key. The display is very accurate on the camera, but I always try few test shots before shooting and decide what setting I need.

Anyone can share their experience?

• @mojo43

Would like to get as much DR i can, but i don't want noise. So, do you suggest to don't load flaat profile in camera?

Other settings are you experimenting? A definitive set do you like to use for every situation? Thanks a lot. Taken d5200!

• The flat profiles are lifting areas that may show noise, but are normally hidden. I think that the profiles are probably only of use if you want to do some serious colour grading.

• Well, yes, i'd like to shoot some shorts and do color grading with after effect..

• I do the same, but don't use the profiles. To me, I just get as close to what I want it to look like in camera. For example the last one that I shot I wanted an red/orange tint throughout. I knew this in advance... Play around with both. You have a lot of fun stuff ahead of you!

• Sharpness test GH3 and Nikon5200. Frames and charts are from:

http://video-dslr.slashcam.de/

I put charts together in same picture and sharpened frames.

nikon5200-sharpness.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 605K
    GH3-sharpness.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 661K
  • New firmware

• The camera now supports the display of error messages when lenses with a retractable lens mechanism, such as the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18–55mm f/3.5–5.6G VR II, are used. An error message is displayed and the shutter cannot be released when the lens barrel is retracted.
    • The display of focal lengths in 35mm format recorded in image Exif data has been corrected.
    • The following issues have been resolved:
      • The camera would sometimes freeze when adding options to My Menu (Add items).
      • Under certain conditions, the camera would sometimes not focus automatically when the AE-L/AF-L button was pressed with AF-ON operation assigned to the button.
      • When shooting with High Dynamic Range (HDR) enabled, noise in the form of a line would sometimes appear at bottom right in images.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/59153

• Glad to hear that AF-ON problem was driving me nuts!

• Good news there is a video bitrate hack for the D5200 camera

• @mojo43 Where can I find this hack??