Personal View site logo
Nikon D5200 topic
  • 651 Replies sorted by
  • Why is the DR limited on the GH3, it has better DR than the 5DMK3 as measured by Dxo and certainly its a minimum 1 stop ahead of the GH2? I find that element puzzling, almost like its being held back.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/842%7C0/(brand)/Panasonic/(appareil2)/795%7C0/(brand2)/Canon

• @squig For your noise comparison, does 1 mean best performer, or 1 means most visible noise?

• Best overall performer up to 1600 ISO. The GH3 noise is more random like film grain, the other cameras have fixed pattern noise.

@ adventsam dxomark measures the dynamic range off the sensor, not the dynamic range of the heavily compressed 8 bit video image.

• Its nice to see they fixed the FPN and banding issues with the GH2. I love shooting sky and not seeing banding all over.

• Just a clarification, the noise rating isn't a low light rating. Here's how I rate them in extremely low light @ 1250-1600 ISO (3-4 stops underexposed)- 1 5D MKIII. 2 D5200. 3 GH3. The GH3 has more detail but it loses colour and dynamic range big time and there's tonnes of grain-like noise. The D5200 fixed pattern noise gets bad and colours fall apart. The 5D is soft but colours and dynamic range hold together well and there's a lot less noise.

That's an extreme test and you'd be mad to shoot like that, the codecs completely fall apart. It would be interesting to see how the 5D holds up recording to a Ninja under those conditions, it might just be useable.

• Hey Guys, new to the forum, thanks for all the great info and discussions. I have just received my D5200 and have discovered the noise is horrific! The horizontal FPN noise is across the whole image and is extremely visible in the greys. Generally you can't see it if your outside and correctly exposed. but its definitely there. Has anyone else come across this? if it wasn't for this issue, i would be extremely happy with the camera. Apart from the noise the image is great. Cheers

• @markbcine Unfortunately this is the case with the D5200. Outdoors in pools of light you can enjoy the DR and nice image, but once lighting conditions change a little for the worse the image often falls apart. It is possible to mitigate it some as noise floor is lower at specific ISO's depending on the white balance, but still pretty bad. If your shooting involves shooting in differing light conditions and you don't enjoy crushing blacks the whole time, I'd consider returning it before it's too late. Just my 2 cents.

• Thanks @eyenorth, I saw your iso test yesterday, thanks for sharing that! I am going to change the iso's I shoot on because of that. Really interesting to see how the low iso's were so noisy in tungsten light. I would think being CMOS, the daylight balance should be much cleaner than it . I am very keen to test with an recorder to see if the noise is inherent to sensor or part of the compression. Still for how much the camera cost, overall I am very happy. I have submitted examples of the noise problems to Nikon, so hopefully they will take the feedback on board.

• Hi people, this is my view regarding the D5200, it might have some insights for you... just my 2 cents

http://444-films.com/nikon-d5200-d7100-panasonic-gh3

• The Nikon D5200 is the upper-entry-level camera in the Nikon DSLR lineup. Slotting itself just above the D3200 , it produces similar-quality images using a similar design. It incorporates a unique-in-its-class 39-point AF system with 9 cross-type points.

This new autofocus system distinguishes the D5200 from the competition and makes it much better suited for action photography. The AF performs in relation to the lens used. With a fast lens and in good light, it can lock focus extremely quickly. At the other extreme, a slow lens and low-light makes this digital camera feel glacially slow.

The lightweight body and compact size of the D5200 is certain to be seen favorably by photographers who concentrate on automatic modes and require direct access to features only on occasions.

The image quality of this DSLR is good. There is more noise and smearing of fine-details than usual but the higher resolution makes things balance out. Exposure and AWB are somewhat problematic but not completely off.

Speed is mixed with both fast and sluggish aspects. The interface is particularly slow and inefficient which can get frustrating if you change settings often

http://www.neocamera.com/camera/nikon/d5200/review

• ...and furthermore from the Neocamera review above:

The Nikon D5200 is an entry-level DSLR, just a notch above the D3200 reviewed here. In fact, they are almost identical save for the autofocus system and LCD screen.

Aside from the D5200's 14-bit image sensor versus the D3200's 12-bit sensor? How clueless does a reviewer have to be to miss an important detail like that?

• @LPowell

he is just a notch above someone who doesn't really know what it is he is talking about.

• The Nikon D5200 is a solid performer that offers an impressive array of specifications for a camera of its class. Indeed, the number of features it shares with its higher-end Nikon stablemates is to be applauded. In addition to an excellent 24MP sensor that gives up precious little to that of the (non-AA filtered) D7100, the D5200 boasts a 39 point AF system, lens-dependent Auto ISO implementation and class-leading high ISO noise performance.

The D5200 stands out as the only recent-model Nikon DSLR to sport an articulated screen which comes in handy for both stills and video shooters, though we can't help but wish it was touch enabled as is the one on the Canon EOS T5i/700D. The D5200 offers a reasonable number of external controls, but as you'd expect on a camera of this class, more advanced users will have to satisfy their needs with visits to the main menu. You do have a customizeable Fn button though, and the camera's '[i]' button allows more direct access to 14 separate camera and shooting settings. If we nitpick, we'd like to see even faster access that omits a second confirmation click before you can actually change a setting in this manner. Overall though, we find that the D5200 strikes a nice balance between providing essential shooting controls without overwhelming novice DSLR users.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d5200

• Hey, I'm getting my first video capable camera this year, I've got a couple of questions about the D5200 that it'd be amazing if someone answered:

1. Can you set the camera to aperture priority and auto iso, and somehow fix the shutter speed to 1/50 in the menu? Or use manual mode but still be able to use exposure compensation that compensates the auto ISO? I realize you'd have to go out of live view to actually change the aperture which is annoying but workable, but not being able to use auto iso if I want to use exposure compensation seems like it'd be pretty horrible to work around. Also if any of these options are possible, will changing the exposure compensation in live mode have any effect on the ISO or will I have to exit and re-enter live mode for changes to take effect?

2. How bad is this fixed noise pattern? Any clips online that have small enough compression that I can check it out? I'm probably gonna add some sort of 16mm grain from FilmConvert or Rgrain or something to most of my videos because I like that sort of look, am I correct in thinking this will help mask most of the fixed noise?

3. Kit lens should be good enough for video until I can afford a Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 lens right? I mainly want to to handheld stuff so I need image stabilization. I guess I'm probably gonna try and to vacation videos or small documentary stuff about places, with some closet dreams of making horror movie shorts in the future, but it'll mainly be for playing around with for my own enjoyment. I have the nikkor 35mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.8 lenses as well if I ever bothered with a tripod though.

Sorry if this is a bit too low level discussion for this forum, any answers are very much appreciated!

• Nikon's D5200 sits in the middle of the most current triumvirate of Nikon cropped sensor DSLRs -- the D3200, 5200 and 7100. Its MSRP is $100 more than the D3200 but it offers an articulating 3 inch monitor, an extra frame per second in its high-speed continuous shooting mode and a more advanced autofocus system as recompense.

The D5200 produces good still and video image quality, offers quite clean high ISO performance at 3200 and isn't too bad at 6400 if you can get away with small images or internet work only. Its 5 fps continuous high-speed shooting rate gives sports and action shooters a fairly decent burst capability for about 19 consecutive JPEG fine images. The 39 point autofocus system does a pretty good job tracking moving subjects for still image capture if you get the right settings in the camera, and holds its own when lighting conditions go towards the dim side.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=5311&review=nikon+d5200+dslr+24.1mp+entry+level

• Finally, Nikon's 5200 is available in proper color for a camera.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dcw/docs/600/055/html/04.jpg.html

• @ahbleza

Nope, proper color is pink for everything but K-01. This is just yellow rubber cover :-)

• Hej! This is my first post in this forum... I followed this thread closely and was surprised to read about the good video capabilities the D5200 shall offer. I had filmed with a GH2 for over 2 years until the camera was stolen last month :-(. So i gave nikon a try and i am amazed about the filmic quality of the footage. I did just a few test shots after i unpacked the camera. Really smooth for 24fps and very nice color rendition. The dynamic range is impressive (clouds are not blown) especially with the Flaat Picture Profiles (here 11p was used). It sharps great during post-processing (here 2.5% sharpen was applied in FCPX).

• One more time... in the dark shots some noise is visible... but nonetheless very usable filmlooks!

• @hdtvNic Thank you for sharing... I would like to ask for your opinion in regards to the D5200. If both cameras were the same price lets say $600.00 would you pick the D5200 over the GH2.

• The camera's clean, highly detailed images rivals those of direct competitors such as the Canon T5i, as well as full-blown enthusiast models such as its big brother, the D7100. (In fact, the only thing that appears to differentiate the image quality between the Nikon D5200 and the D7100 is the latter's lack of a low pass filter, a move that earns it some better fidelity at the risk of incurring moiré.) The D5200 also produces great images at high ISOs; you can even make an acceptable 4 x 6 print at ISO 12,800.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d5200/nikon-d5200A.HTM

• Fast test with D5200. Shoot on flaat 11. Straight from camera. No collor correct

• The D5200 has an extremely advanced focusing system as the user can use one focusing point, all of them, use 3D tracking, or use a focusing point with expansion into the ones around it. Not only that, but it’s also super accurate in most situations. When trying to track moving objects for street photography, the camera didn’t really give us much pause unless we couldn’t keep up with our subject in the panning process. But otherwise, it was super easy.

As is characteristic of all APS-C sensor cameras, any high ISO noise has very tight grain. The Nikon D5200′s in particular looks very film-like is and is easily nerfable with a couple slides of a noise reduction level in Lightroom. There is no chroma noise that we’ve seen at all–and instead it is all just luminance.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/08/14/review-nikon-d5200/

samp4.jpg
    800 x 500 - 140K