Personal View site logo
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • @CFreak I'm trying to get round it by connecting a tablet with hdmi out to a large monitor, they say in theory it should work, but I think they didn't answer the question I was asking about size of image relayed over wifi in the first place. If the image the tablet was receiving was decent size then viewing it on a larger monitor might make it work for me - I find it hard to judge critical focus without a decent monitor, though the peaking info is useful it doesn't seem to get relayed over wifi with rest of the image. Will put this in reasons for an update.

• Dont know if this can help you but you can see the size of screen

• can someone with a G6 please record some people in 24fps?

• maybe someone know some best presets to video in g6 ?

• Are colour profile changes possible? ...e.g. like Technicolor?

• which profile and what settings in aperature, contrast ect.

• Is there 1080p50 (not 59.95p!) mode at models that selling at BH, Adorama? Is It has same problem like GH3, where switching to PAL lack 1080p50 mode? Or it fully switching from NTSC to PAL?

• As a former Canon user, I can say without hesitation that the G6 is an amazing cam in ETC mode with a 600mm AIS ED lens. From my testing the crop factor is actually about 2.1 x 2.4 x 600mm = 3024mm equivalent. There is no finer tool ever made for wildlife video as long as you have enough light.

Add the fact that with a 100-300 you can get 1500mm + equivalent with IS at only 1kg total weight it simply blows all the competition away for long range high quality video at the lightest possible weight.

Needless to say, after a couple weeks testing, the G6 is a long term part of my quiver.

Here's my first real test aside from those clips Kurth posted a couple pages back.

Here's hoping you can hack this thing Vitaliy !!!

Cheers, Pete

• Impressive stuff Pete ! wow your video of the deer is great ! I wonder if Panasonic will make a G6 in Real Tree camo for you!! that would look cool! Im a G6 owner too but Ive not tested the ETC mode yet

• Thanks Andy. The big guys are elk and shot with ETC and the 600mm. There is one doe deer in there later on that was shot with the new kit lens hand held at 42mm and ETC. I have a whole slew of Canon L lenses and I'm pretty surprised by the quality of that lens for a kit lens.

By the way that 1kg total weight is with both the new 14-42 II kit lens and the 100-300. You get a full overlap from 29.5mm - 1500mm equivalent in just two full autofocus IS lenses for video. Amazing days we live in is all I can say.

Cheers, Pete

• Maybe this belongs in the GH3 thread, but here goes anyway. I'm sure the G6 is a fine camera, but if I were upgrading from the GH2, I would recommend the GH3 instead. First of all, I think many of the problems GH3 owners have mentioned (poor EVF, lack of peaking and zebras, setting info disappearing after 10 seconds, etc.) are greatly exaggerated. But the main reason to go for the GH3 are the codecs. And the MOV files are great to work with compared to AVCHD. Given a choice, I would never go back to AVCHD.

• @jonpais is that you're saying, one can shoot or create better videos with mov files (or codecs) than AVCHD. asking cause I am planning on buying a G6 soon.

• @c3hammer

For the really wide shots in the most recent video you posted, which lens were you using?

• @cjdincer I should say that I am speaking from my experience shooting AVCHD 1080 60p with a Panny TM900 and editing with iMovie. It used to take hours to import the media, rewrap and transcode before I could actually begin editing. And up until recently, many users of other NLEs, including FCPX, had to do the same. The rewrapping was extremely processor intensive, using up my Macbook Pro's 8GB of RAM after every 50 clips. On the other hand, when I insert the GH3's SDXC card (IPB format) into my Mac, the files can be imported directly into the timeline and I can begin editing right away, while FCPX transcodes in the background. (I switched over to FCP when I bought the GH3). Granted, I understand FCPX now supports AVCHD 60p, but the higher bitrate IPB clips are more amenable to color corrections than AVCHD. So to answer your question, no, I don't think anyone could tell a difference in image quality between AVCHD files and the IPB MOV files but the latter are easier to work with.

• @Doctor The stabilizer shots were with a GoPro Hero3 Black. There are two zoom shots that are with a TM700. All the rest are with the G6.

• @mikelinn promo videos are not helpful. They are not credible or honest.

• I'll agree 100% on promo videos @cls105. I know for a fact that they sometimes use other cameras for the footage of the camera being sold. Sucks, but it's how it is.

• I change my GH2 for a G6. :p

• @manu4vendetta how is the low light performance in your opinion is it better than GH2?

• I'll buy the G6 only when there is a Firmewareupdate and the hack of Vitaliy - mud and artifacts in the green stuff

• So long GH2. So long custom firmware. I'm sold to G6's feature set and SOOC color, details, and performance.

• @cjdincer, the GH2 its worse in low light conditions, usable up ISO 800, but between ISO 1000, 1250 and 1600 is marginally acceptable, but already noticeable noise.