Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • The GH3 is a great camera. And it will get even better that is for sure. I like products with a long life span. :-)

• Full review

Panasonic's flagship GH-series cameras have been widely praised for their video capabilities, and have long been in demand from professional videographers and filmmakers. However, the product engineers behind the company's latest compact system camera, the Panasonic GH3, didn't focus solely on upgrading its movie mojo. They developed a brand new 16-megapixel Live MOS sensor, and added an advanced optical low-pass filter. Together, these help the GH3 deliver excellent image quality across the board. Both still photos and videos trump that of its predecessor, the acclaimed GH2. In fact, the camera's sharp and detailed images rival those of most mirrorless models on the market.

Its die-cast, magnesium alloy body is small and lightweight, but the GH3 is rugged and weatherized and suited for "run and gun" video shoots out in the field. The camera also comes loaded with a deep set of advanced video tools -- typically found on professional-level cameras -- that make it a more-than-capable option for videographers. Not only that, but it's also a bargain-priced one.

It's entirely approachable for enthusiast photographers, especially those serious about wanting to shoot more high quality video. The GH3's movies are astoundingly good.

It's simply one of the best mirrorless cameras we've reviewed -- and not just this year.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-gh3/panasonic-gh3A.HTM

nik5.jpg
    799 x 563 - 201K
  • hi guys, just got myself a GH3 and I like it! got a couple of questions though I will put together the next couple of days, hope you can help just two quick questions for now: which polarfilter do you recommend? after some research I think I'd go for this one: B&W Filter Pol Circular Käsemann Slim MRC 58mm. What do you think? and I'd like to know if you think the cam will work for multicam mixes paired with the D Mark II and a panasonic HC-X929 camcoder or will the sources look too different?

• @shungyiu

Not sure which is it was. I only know that it was a panasonic external lvf. I googled to see what the model number was and came across the lvf1 first. I do know that the camera is definitely GX1.

• @_OZ: My friend who has a GX1 bought Panasonic's optional evf MW-LVF1 to attach to his flashmount.

I thought the LVF1 only works on GF1s? or were you referring to LVF2?

• For a flagship camera and the amount I paid, yes I'm a bit disappointed in that one aspect of the gear. However, this hardly makes me disappointed in the camera overall. I love it!

Problem with GH3 is optics. I think issue can be that they wanted to use some other EVF, but were forced to use specific model. And as body design was already done enginners were forced to make some working optics, but it seems like they partially failed.

• Regarding the EVF:

This is my first "real" camera, so that gives you a bit of context for my (lack of) experience...

When I first got the camera, I adjusted the diopter and then finally just assumed that it is either just my eyes, or just the way it is supposed to be. Again, I didn't have anything to compare it to.

My friend who has a GX1 bought Panasonic's optional evf MW-LVF1 to attach to his flashmount. I tried it, and it was night and day difference. I could see things perfectly with seemingly extra room on the edges. That's the thing, I have to move my eye around to see a corner or edge clearly, and then that movement throws the other edge out of focus. I also compared to my other friends GH2. Same story.

For a flagship camera and the amount I paid, yes I'm a bit disappointed in that one aspect of the gear. However, this hardly makes me disappointed in the camera overall. I love it!

This is to say, don't let whiners sway you, but also don't be led astray by the reactions to the whiners that claim that there is really no big problem, the viewfinder is not what makes a great film maker, etc. The evf IS problematic, at least for my eyes and in direct comparison to other Panasonic models.

• What i think is the Gh3's never been the camera to take. Too expensive, the match with the hacked gh2, the new g6, the upcoming gx7...all these things make me say I'm so happy i didn't buy it. And the hack? The hack does not do everything.

• Hi all - starting to think about an upgrade to a GH3. Can you monitor to an EVF with ETC mode on? Also, how does focus work on the GH3? Can you pop into 1:1 mode while recording video to get focus?

• It´s a great camera with a lot of function over the GH2 that I love. About the EVF (and the display too) I started with the sharpness set to -5, but now I use -2, because for me at -5 it´s almost impossible to see what is on focus and what not.

• Absolutely agree with whynot!GH3 is an absolutely superior machine compaired to the GH2(which i also own).A pleasure to hold-very well designed body-and to use.Excellent video quality,and a better photocamera too.Concerning the EVF,yes,it could be better,but surely it's not the end of the world.Everybody can find a workaround(i wear glasses...).

• @ Stonebat I like the GH2 EVF better for focusing. Maybe its my eyes? but I find it much easier to hit focus with the GH2 evf. But others have a difference experience. I like the GH3 for everything else.

• A simple question almost always leading to one of these: cinematography, organic, hack, blah blah

I found this review useful. http://noamkroll.com/gh3-vs-gh2-and-initial-thoughts/

• @bwhitz I totally agree. When I am a better cinematographer than my GH3 can service, then i will bitch and moan and buy something better. Until then Im happily playing catch up.

• @bwhitz LMAO Nice Janusz pull.

• I don't know much about a pro cinema evf, but how about compared to GH2?

• How's GH3's evf? Is that really that bad? Smudging toward corners?

I don't think it's really that bad. People just want something to complain about...

Compared to a pro-cinema EVF? Yea, it could probably be better. But it works just fine. Point is... the difference between most people's work, and that of Janusz Kaminski, is not the EVF.

• @groovejet 45-175 is the only m43 zoom I have. Occasionally it hits $200 price range.

• How's GH3's evf? Is that really that bad? Smudging toward corners?

• Hi all, can anyone tell me what the status of the HDMI output is for the GH3? I had heard that HDMI output shuts off after 5seconds, unless recording an SD-card at the same time, which then limits me to 30min as I am in Australia. With the new firmware updates has this been resolved? I am looking at possibly purchasing two Gh3s for events and live streaming for my workplace. The 30min shutoff is a real issue so was thinking of streaming to a software or hardware switcher (Maybe a blackmagic Atem studio) and recording from there... Can anyone tell me if It is possible to just record the HDMI out stream now for as long as the GH3 has power? Thanks heaps.

• Looks really good markr041. I recently bought a GH3 and am currently taking my time deciding which lenses to buy. Currently I am using a Pany 14-45 that I bought when I had a GH2. The 45-175 lens is one of the options I am considering.

• GH3 touch-screen focus pull demonstration - handheld. Does pretty well, with the 45-175mm lens: no pulsing, bouncing, or seeking:

• I'm still waiting with a purchase - I would first like to hack?!

• What I would like to see in a new firmware is the possibility to set a name of the photographer like Copyright in the exif by default for all pictures!!!