Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • Absolutely agree with whynot!GH3 is an absolutely superior machine compaired to the GH2(which i also own).A pleasure to hold-very well designed body-and to use.Excellent video quality,and a better photocamera too.Concerning the EVF,yes,it could be better,but surely it's not the end of the world.Everybody can find a workaround(i wear glasses...).

• It´s a great camera with a lot of function over the GH2 that I love. About the EVF (and the display too) I started with the sharpness set to -5, but now I use -2, because for me at -5 it´s almost impossible to see what is on focus and what not.

• Hi all - starting to think about an upgrade to a GH3. Can you monitor to an EVF with ETC mode on? Also, how does focus work on the GH3? Can you pop into 1:1 mode while recording video to get focus?

• What i think is the Gh3's never been the camera to take. Too expensive, the match with the hacked gh2, the new g6, the upcoming gx7...all these things make me say I'm so happy i didn't buy it. And the hack? The hack does not do everything.

• Regarding the EVF:

This is my first "real" camera, so that gives you a bit of context for my (lack of) experience...

When I first got the camera, I adjusted the diopter and then finally just assumed that it is either just my eyes, or just the way it is supposed to be. Again, I didn't have anything to compare it to.

My friend who has a GX1 bought Panasonic's optional evf MW-LVF1 to attach to his flashmount. I tried it, and it was night and day difference. I could see things perfectly with seemingly extra room on the edges. That's the thing, I have to move my eye around to see a corner or edge clearly, and then that movement throws the other edge out of focus. I also compared to my other friends GH2. Same story.

For a flagship camera and the amount I paid, yes I'm a bit disappointed in that one aspect of the gear. However, this hardly makes me disappointed in the camera overall. I love it!

This is to say, don't let whiners sway you, but also don't be led astray by the reactions to the whiners that claim that there is really no big problem, the viewfinder is not what makes a great film maker, etc. The evf IS problematic, at least for my eyes and in direct comparison to other Panasonic models.

• For a flagship camera and the amount I paid, yes I'm a bit disappointed in that one aspect of the gear. However, this hardly makes me disappointed in the camera overall. I love it!

Problem with GH3 is optics. I think issue can be that they wanted to use some other EVF, but were forced to use specific model. And as body design was already done enginners were forced to make some working optics, but it seems like they partially failed.

• @_OZ: My friend who has a GX1 bought Panasonic's optional evf MW-LVF1 to attach to his flashmount.

I thought the LVF1 only works on GF1s? or were you referring to LVF2?

• @shungyiu

Not sure which is it was. I only know that it was a panasonic external lvf. I googled to see what the model number was and came across the lvf1 first. I do know that the camera is definitely GX1.

• hi guys, just got myself a GH3 and I like it! got a couple of questions though I will put together the next couple of days, hope you can help just two quick questions for now: which polarfilter do you recommend? after some research I think I'd go for this one: B&W Filter Pol Circular Käsemann Slim MRC 58mm. What do you think? and I'd like to know if you think the cam will work for multicam mixes paired with the D Mark II and a panasonic HC-X929 camcoder or will the sources look too different?

• Full review

Panasonic's flagship GH-series cameras have been widely praised for their video capabilities, and have long been in demand from professional videographers and filmmakers. However, the product engineers behind the company's latest compact system camera, the Panasonic GH3, didn't focus solely on upgrading its movie mojo. They developed a brand new 16-megapixel Live MOS sensor, and added an advanced optical low-pass filter. Together, these help the GH3 deliver excellent image quality across the board. Both still photos and videos trump that of its predecessor, the acclaimed GH2. In fact, the camera's sharp and detailed images rival those of most mirrorless models on the market.

Its die-cast, magnesium alloy body is small and lightweight, but the GH3 is rugged and weatherized and suited for "run and gun" video shoots out in the field. The camera also comes loaded with a deep set of advanced video tools -- typically found on professional-level cameras -- that make it a more-than-capable option for videographers. Not only that, but it's also a bargain-priced one.

It's entirely approachable for enthusiast photographers, especially those serious about wanting to shoot more high quality video. The GH3's movies are astoundingly good.

It's simply one of the best mirrorless cameras we've reviewed -- and not just this year.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-gh3/panasonic-gh3A.HTM

nik5.jpg
    799 x 563 - 201K
  • The GH3 is a great camera. And it will get even better that is for sure. I like products with a long life span. :-)

• @driftwood you know something we don't ;) ?

• Hoping for focus peaking and optional persistent screen info...and raw of course :)

Let the miracles commence ;)

• Call me a dreamer but what would make this camera stand out from the croud is, colour science and 10 bits 4-2-2, or some kind of better transcode from raw sensor data and the ability to record prores or avid. I dont need "focos pokos" or any other digital "manbo jambo" thing. Just good files out of the box. The camera is outstanding, when you come from canon you notice that, resolution, light sensitivity, dynamic range, good options on menu for timelapse, and setup all it's there.

What I need. A reliable tool that take good images, easy to configure and use, and let us work well with the files in post. Skin tones could be better (colour), file format could be better (compression), menu logics could be better (interactivity).

BUT EVEN SO AMAZING LITTLE CAMERA... ;-)

• hi guys, I want to buy the Speedbooster. I am using the Panasonic Lumix 12-35 and 35-100 lenses but can't find the according Speedbooster. Any help? Thanks.

• @olli66: There is no speedbooster for native m43 lenses.

Also, this is the wrong thread for speedbooster questions. Try this:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5770/metabones-lens-speed-booster-adapter-focal-reducer#Item_461

• Panasonic today has announced that the company has been awarded a prestigious EISA (European Imaging Sound Association) Award for the Digital Single Lens Mirrorless (DSLM) camera LUMIX DMC-GH3 and the interchangeable lens LUMIX G VARIO 14-140mm / F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S. (H-FS14140) of LUMIX G.

The compact system camera LUMIX GH3 won ‘European Photo-Video Camera 2013-2014’ for its versatility as a high class still and video camera with the EISA Awards panel saying, “The Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GH3 offers the best video quality of any combined still and movie camera in this price segment – and actually in some higher segments as well. It offers full manual as well as completely automatic video recording, making it ideal for in-the-field shooting as well as more formal situations. It's also a pretty handy stills camera with a full range of controls, making it an impressively flexible package. The Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GH3 is very popular with videographers partly because it is a very lightweight and rugged, weather-resistant camera that’s serviced by a great selection of high-quality lenses.”

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/pressrelease/eisa_gh3_h_fs14140/

• Hello gays! GH3 will be have RAW Video in Hack Frimware?

• @dak20 best comment ever .... (and we have no idea yet)

• Hello gays! GH3 will be have RAW Video in Hack Frimware?

Definitely. It is right after small microwave hand heater patch in our plans.

• Vitaly, I'm a little do not understand your answer. There is a possibility that will be the implementation RAW Video? I think after a short demo video that it is possible that your project will be happy to support. I would be happy to buy Option 7.

• It's good to have dreamers. Even mildly cryptic, can't-tell-if-trolling, dreamers.

• HELLO GAYS!!!!!!!!!!! Are we all having a fabulous time or what!? Mimosas are on the house!

• Hello gays...can't wait for the pinky gh3 !!!!