Personal View site logo
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • @kurth

Most reviewers seem to like G6 very much, yes.

• I am holding on to an other GH2 for sometime but I think G6 will cover my other needs like HDR, timelapser, stopmotion, wifi, mic input,etc. they use the same battery. They gonna be a good pair in my bag. until a hack comes planning to use it as a B cam on interviews. if the hack never shows up, heck I use it anyways.

• I'll cut to the chase and say the Panasonic Lumix G6 is one of the most enjoyable and satisfying cameras I've used

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_G6/

• @Vitaliy I would likely be first in line for a body.

We did tests projecting my GH1 feature doc on a theater screen and it looked very good. I almost want to buy another one of those.

As for monitoring, that I haven't been able to do with the GH1, I wonder if the wifi would work for monitoring?

• It seems it wont be possible to monitor audio while recording using hdmi out, do you think it could be possible using wifi and some wifi audio receiver ?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Are you going to have body only deal?

• Without 30 min. limit?

Yes.

Is that kit the only one? Pal version? Which languages?

Pal. English is present :-)

• @Vitaly: Is that kit the only one? Pal version? Which languages?

Also, it would be nice 60p in pal version. Do you think it would be possible? Thanks

• @Vitaliy: Nice. Without 30 min. limit?

• Btw, we added G6 kit to our Panasonic kits deals - http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh3-notes/gh3-discount

• Just received my G6 yesterday and I must say that it beats my old OM-D E-M5 and even my hacked GH1 in video mode. Still pics are also fantastic. Low light performance is better than on the E-M5. The AVCHD video in 50p is beautiful! It's going to be a KILLER if it's hacked with higher bit rate.

• Hmm. So really no live feed again (like with the G5). Semms like a "no go" for me. Especially compared to the GH2. I am happy that at least now someone is confirming & checking this. I read it just in ONE Review. No one else wrote about or checked it. (Like its a feature no one needs ...)

• @mercant I am considering to replace my gh2 with g6 but no monitoring signal is a total letdown for such a nice camera.. ah shame.. let us know if you find something about it.. It looks like I will have to buy gh3 or wait for something else :(

• @Ralph_B nothing the monitor says : NO SIGNAL it starts to work only with play bottom, all the rest is no signal hope there is a way to change it maybe something in the menu

• @mercant

Does the external monitor work when the camera is in standby?

• @Ralph_B Yes it is, I notice some colours issues too whit the ISO going up,

an other information I just found out the the external monitor does't work while recording, it works just in play mode!!!!!

• @mercant

So, when you approach an ISO from a higher ISO, the picture is darker and cleaner than when you approach it from a lower ISO? That seems to be what your test is showing. Is that correct?

• @mercant

How is the EVF? The resolution is a bit lower than GH3, but I'm wondering if it's still sharper. The optics in the GH3 EVF soften the image and damage the usability.

• @Ralph_B

I am using M mode, I have to say it's a very good camera, the banding problem of Gh2 it's much improved too

• @mercant

Those are fascinating tests. What mode were you using? M, P, A, S, IA ?

• Could someone ask to panasonic for 1080p 60 fps (not just 50) for PAL version? Just an update, would be great. Step by step guys.

• Hi I am doing some iso test with panasonic G6, I bayed some days ago in spain

feedback very welcome, thanks

• Or keep asking Panasonic to add standard ProRes support to G(H) series for modes that can handle the bitrates. Practical value for professionals' workflows and added value for enthusiasts, would attract positive reviews and more good reputation, as well as help compete better with upcoming BlackMagic cameras.

We know hacked GH2 can do 150+ Mbps with fast SDHC cards. According to Apple ProRes whitepaper, this bitrate would be enough for 24p, 25p/50i and 30p/60i ProRes422. With UHS-1 cards, also 50p and 60p ProRes422 should be possible.

Maybe they could sell some kind of "Pro Class" firmware updates. This would enable them to sell cameras with basic firmware at consumer prices, without format license fees, and for pros offer paid "upgrade cards" that would cover extra licensing and programming costs.

• @Everyone: start complaining about the fuzz posting photos via Lumix app and not directly to social media. Firmware update guaranteed ;)