Personal View site logo
Official Sony A77 topic
  • 111 Replies sorted by
  • I'm with you on the DSLR form factor to a point, The scartlet/epic form factor is my favorite and that's just a beefed up DSLR. The ultimate compromise is to make a video centric battery grip with XLR inputs and maybe a few knobs to make people like me happy. This will make a DSLR more pro looking and beefier.
  • From what i've read the VG10 does indeed output 4:2:2! I think that it's safe to assume that the VG20 will also output 4:2:2 as well. When you pair that with the improvements they are said to be making, it's a much more interesting option. If they beefed up the bottom of the camera that will help too, since many complained it flexed when trying to mount to tripod etc.

I don't know why the camera companies haven't used the Pro Video Camera form factor and just used the DSLR sensor. AF100 is about as close as it seems we're gonna get. To be honest I like the smaller body of the DSLR with a proper cage rig. There's a flexibility and compactness to it that works in tight spaces as well as everywhere else. VG20 is a nice compromise. A little bit of the video cam form factor but still small.
  • A 35mm adapter and an XA10 wouldn't be a bad combo even today, as I am kind of tired of DSLR's at this point(less with the superb GH2 more with the canons). But I am not paying $4900 for the same features I can get in an HMC40(give or take). Its a still camera sensor put in an ugly video camera body. You don't even get a lens with the thing. The VG20 is even worse if it looks like that. The VG10 body was a piece of shit consumer crap when you can buy a entry prosumer camcorder for the same price that functions far better. They just reuse the nex sensor and make you buy a Sony lens. Only the Stalin/Lenin stands to help us. At least the nex/vg20 will adapt better.
  • They know they can milk you up one or two generation. I think without the digital slr revolution we would still be buying 35mm adapter and everybody would be drooling on the RED MX as the only affordable 35mm camera. That is why I don't see a 422 hdmi output from the VG20, too close to the FS100.
  • Aria beat me to it.
  • "As nice as it would be I wouldn't get your hopes up, its still a consumer camcorder." Thats the ultimate truth.

What I dont get is that entry pro camcorders with great feature sets like the HMC40 and Sony nx70 are sub 3k and are pretty damn good. Why doesn't Sony or Panny give us those cams with the same features, form factor, and everything else, with a big chip and interchangeable mount sub 3k.

Whoever would do this could win big time. There is really no excuse for this not to happen. The AF100 and FS100 to me are overpriced for what they are.
  • Well there has been a slow but definite movement on the consumer side to include more pro features. The Prosumer category is a bit nebulous now as cameras that companies simply call consumer are actually prosumer models. ie. the Canon HFG10 and XA10. For years the HDMI output on consumer video cameras have been pretty high quality considering the price point. We know that the cameras have the ability to produce at least 4:2:2 and the only thing that stops that is camera companies blocking that level of output. I don't see why they'd need to do that in the case of the VG20.

I believe that the VG10 may just have output 4:2:2, but I haven't fully confirmed that.

This guy did tests of the old VG10 with HDMI to NanoFlash.
  • Alpha mount Samyangs without metering? Thanks, no.
    Pentax ones works like AF leses, with all metering, flash, correct aperture shown, etc, just without AF :-)
  • You can adapt the M42 lenses like Jupiter 9 to other systems. Not so lucky with Alpha mount to Canon but the Alpha Samyangs will work on the GH2 and NEX also.
  • Yep.
    Main problem of A77 - lenses.
    Buying "affordable" lenses specially for A77? No, thanks.
  • Thoughts on glass here http://www.eoshd.com/content/3701/recommended-affordable-sony-a77-lenses

With Samyang and the Jupiter 9 you have some good affordable A77 optics.

NEX 7 will be similar spec but there are doubts over manual control in video mode. I'd say it will have P/S/A/M like the A77 in video mode and that they'll leave it out of the NEX5N instead (on which the VG20 will be based) but we just won't know until tomorrow!
  • @Aria As nice as it would be I wouldn't get your hopes up, its still a consumer camcorder.
  • The idea of clean HDMI out with 4:2:2 shouldn't be underestimated. IMO I think that Sony will indeed give us that on the VG20! Since it's actually a Video Cam, it's features will differ from that of the DSLR's in some respects. It's much more expected that a video cam have a clean output. I'm very interested in getting details about the VG20.
  • Recording via HDMI can do 4:2:2 chroma subsampling which can improve image quality. But I don't think it's going to transform ugly duckling into beautiful swan. For broadcasting people... showing live video via HDMI would be nice though.
  • I can't fathom why so many people actually care about clean HDMI out.
  • very exciting new announcements from Sony
  • >>Is this actually true?>>
    >>There s an article on eoshd.com on that subject>>

Oh..., sorry for my misinformation. I didn´t know it either. Here is the link to that article: http://www.eoshd.com/content/3661/do-your-lenses-adapt-to-the-sony-a77-a-mount But maybe this one will work, at least for nikon glasses: http://www.leitax.com/Voigtlander-lens-for-Sony-cameras.html
  • People are getting a little bit too ahead of themselves, I don't think Sony will put out a camera with uncompressed hdmi that would make it too close to the FS100. For me, the need of uncompressed hdmi has decreased a bit with the quality we are getting with the hack. A 100+ mbit avchd would be very close to it. What might not be possible is a 10bit and 422 output from the avchd.
  • Clean HDMI will be great. But I think that Sony will not add the feature. So, without a Vitaliy hack, no interest in this piece of marketing :-)
  • Oups my bad @fstopandgo, sorry for the confusion. There s an article on eoshd.com on that subject. Seems that nikon lenses can't adapt to A77 due to its mirror. Only the nex line (A-mount too but mirrorless) will be able to mount all thoses lenses...
  • Look, I understand sensor size. I am talking about rear elements of some lenses being too close or too far from the sensor. Either hitting the translucent mirror or not being able to focus to infinity. That's a huge thing for me. So again, how well does A-mount adapt to say nikkon?
  • @fstopandgo of course. Unless you like vignetting or use crop mode...
  • I'm curious to find out what Sony did with the HDMI output. On their NX cams they've provided 4:2:2. If they actually did that with the VG20 that would really make it a much more interesting Cam. Clean HDMI from such high rez cams should be very good.
  • "It can take every Nikon + Canon glass (Aps-C + FF) with an adapter but no MFT "

Is this actually true?
  • I don't think that the base camera for video will be that impressive compared to a hacked gh2. Many people are talking about avchd 2 as something extraordinary. But it still has the 17 mbit and 24mbit for 24p and only 28mbit for 60p. These are nothing special compared to the hacked gh2. But a hacked version could be damn good. Its photo processing engine should be much better than the gh2 (24 megapixel at 12fps per second) and this should also be the same for video. Speculation abound that the sensor is geared towards video. So much less jello, aliasing, etc... A 100+ megabit hacked version could be really good, more so that Sony has been constantly progressing in the field of low light and dynamic range.