Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Sony A77 topic
  • 111 Replies sorted by
  • Oh yeah the SLT is good for video. EVF! But for stills, when you were to spam your shots 12fps, the screen goes blank. You can only see the first and last picture of the burst shots. LOL SONY!
  • @flyguy

Thanks for report.

Do you have any photos?

>And FYI, theres no 60p and 24p for the PAL version. Only 50i, 50p, 25p.

Yes, again regional settings :-)

>But for stills, when you were to spam your shots 12fps, the screen goes blank. You can only see the first and last picture of the burst shots. LOL SONY!

They had similar issue with previous generation.
    Reason is simple - processor is not fast enough.
    It seems that it is able only to store simple raw at this speed.

• As I had predicted: typical Sony, always crippling just a bit so you still have to buy a FS-100.
  • What about the hdmi output?

• This seems to be from an MTS file, so from the camera. Even with vimeo's compression, it should look a LOT better. Seems to be aliasing, and the water is falling apart. Thoughts?
  • Just talked to Sony UK.

A77 - Some doubts over HDMI resolution and on-screen graphics.

But Sony say moire and aliasing are not an issue.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/3763/sony-a77-no-moire-aliasing-but-hdmi-output-not-full-hd-during-live-view
  • Hmmm. There are words you can bank on, but "Sony says..." I think may not be among them.
  • Could not agree more Cosimo...I think its best to wait till the camera's are out and get samples/give it a try...not from words from a Sony rep of all people.
  • Maybe the ISO would be improved with the pellicle removed--the ultimate hack! For now I'll be keeping my GH2, but it looks interesting.
  • @cosimo_bullo

I agree, it doesn't look very good. The water is definitely falling apart in the calmer trail behind the boat (maybe vimeo compression though?). And the rougher water with the fine waves has a harsh look which is due to aliasing, pretty sure. You can almost see a fine screen super-imposed on the waves tops. Again though hard to confirm without access to the original MTS.

I notive that the MTS file for the clip is 24.45 mbs, which is just about right for the 1080p60 mode. (I get similar bitrate results on my Sony HX9v in that mode.)
  • See Andrew,

You were already shouting that this A77 is a winner earlier this week but from what I hear, see and read, it is nothing special. People always go by steps but usability is key to a good experience. And I also told you that Sony always cripples its products so they don't interfere with business of other products. I am pretty sure someone is working at Sony who does just that as a full-time job. Sony, Like.No.Other.
  • I don't know why you criticise the A-mount so much! I think it's one of the better mounts out there... Minolta glass is superb, some Minolta "G" lenses matches and sometimes exceeds Canon "L" glass. And you have some gems there like the Minolta 100 f/2, Minolta 135 STF and Minolta 200 f/2.8. And you can use some exclusive Zeiss lenses like the unique 135mm 1.8.
    I'm really excited about this new camera... even being a m43 user.
  • My problem with the A-mount is adaptability. Even canon can take my nikors. I am more curious about the VG-20.
  • Wow what negativity from some. 1080/60p, manual control, 24p, the best AF yet seen, the best EVF ever made and OLED, 24 megapixel stills, a pro mirrorless, when WILL people be happy??
  • I just read the article and as someone who is a lot here, I would like to know how @eoshd came to the conclusion of recommending the sony camera for filmmakers. He does not even have all the details. The A77 is feature pack, but until we know exactly about the hdmi output the hack gh2 will beat it in pure image quality any-day. How by magic the Sony A77 24 mbit avchd suppose to beat the 66 and more GH23.Vk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@fstopandgo, me also, I am asking me if it is not the big surprise. The VG10 was so crippled that I think a lot of people have disgarded the VG line. In terms of photo quality the A77 is getting a bad rap because the mid to high Iso example are not good at all. Now some are saying that the Sony has a crap jpeg engine and that it is not final firmware, so we will have to wait and see.
  • Since I wrote my last post I see that you have responded, but go on the photo website like dpreview etc and see the negativity that is comming out about the image quality of the A77. At first you say whow about the 24 megapixel then when you see the samples on imagingresource (mid high iso) you get a cold shower. What I see is lot of features as you said above but what count for me above all is that it is an imaging hardware and if in the end the image is not that good then why bother. There was an interview of a Sony rep and he only focused on the features and dismissed the question on image quality.
  • >but go on the photo website like dpreview etc and see the negativity that is comming out about the image quality of the A77

It is not negativity, it is bunch of pixel peeping lovers looking at high ISO.
    Idiots, to be blunt.
    It is easy to do, do not require any logic or hard mind action.
    Even conclusions are mostly wrong.
    So, it is lovely and such topics on dpreview have very low value.
  • I'll be honest.... I'm not impressed with the video samples on Vimeo. That might not mean much since I wasn't impressed with most cameras when they first came out. But still....
  • @EOSHD

When manufactures stop giving us these marginal codecs... 24mb/s second long-GOP is not what I would call a great film-making codec. It's not terrible by any means... but then again, it is... when you consider what they could be shooting with these modern processors. I'm going to bet that these Sony cams are going to have the same garbage-shadow problems that the GH2 had before the hack.

I actually prefer the Canons H.264 codec to a non-hacked AVCHD stream. I think that the "inefficientness" of it lead to less motion estimation (more film-like) and more detail in the shadows... since it was encoding the image as a whole... and not looking for areas to throw out detail. It's soft for sure... but the image is consistent at least. Can't say the same for AVCHD... it looks great until you start grading and find those "surprise areas" where the encoder decided to chuck all the data out the window. The light part of someones face will look like Red footage and then when the exposure starts to drop, it looks like an SD quality youtube video. Damn I hate AVCHD... at least the way their implementing it from the factory.
  • @bwhitz

Be calm.
    No one will be going to give you 50-100mbps codecs in consumer photo camera.
    I repeat, no one, in near future.
    Reason - many customer complains to support lines citing that camera stopped during recording very interesting process of their doughter vommiting, and yes, they have large card and selected best quality :-)
  • About noise again.

I can even predict with 99% accuracy that next main complains thing will be caused by the fact that it is not extra easy to find the lenses that'll look sharp on 24mp APS-C sensor in 1:1 mode for pixel peepers .
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev "No one will be going to give you 50-100mbps codecs in consumer photo camera."

Probably not Sony or Panasonic. But when I talked to Canon reps at NAB, they sounded pretty adamant about not using AVCHD and hinted at using thier 50mb/s 4:2:2 mpeg codec for the next generation. It's not to far of a stretch, their already shooting 45mb/s...

Here's a good interview with Tim Smith that make me feel better about the codecs in Canon's next DSLRs...

http://gotvshowtime.com/369/camera-gear-hddslr-canon-la/

Basically... they're not afraid of DSLRs taking away sales of the traditional video cameras once they have better codecs. They understand that they're just different tools.
  • @bwhitz

It is just talks.
    You have absolutely no reason to use 4:2:2 MPEG2 encoder in such a camera.
    Both from low level perspective and consumer perspective it will be just one big trouble.
  • @Vitaliy_Kislev "You have absolutely no reason to use 4:2:2 MPEG2 encoder in such a camera.'

Well, that is up to me. I would certainly benefit from it. Same with the production company I shoot content for. I could deliver a whole new level of flexibility and content. I also, work with the XF100 quite a bit and the 50mb/s 4:2:2 is VERY easy to work with... It would be no problem at all in the next generation.

There's also no reasons not to do it. Especially since I'm simply not going to buy the new Mark III if it doesn't shoot at least 4:2:2. I told this to many Canon reps in person... and their response is always "yea... we know. You and everyone else". They don't have a choice at this point.

Hell, there's no reason that a FF stills cameras should shoot HD video in the first place either, but they do. If there's profit to be made and a market... it'll happen. :)