Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Sony A77 topic
  • 111 Replies sorted by
  • See Andrew,

You were already shouting that this A77 is a winner earlier this week but from what I hear, see and read, it is nothing special. People always go by steps but usability is key to a good experience. And I also told you that Sony always cripples its products so they don't interfere with business of other products. I am pretty sure someone is working at Sony who does just that as a full-time job. Sony, Like.No.Other.
  • @cosimo_bullo

I agree, it doesn't look very good. The water is definitely falling apart in the calmer trail behind the boat (maybe vimeo compression though?). And the rougher water with the fine waves has a harsh look which is due to aliasing, pretty sure. You can almost see a fine screen super-imposed on the waves tops. Again though hard to confirm without access to the original MTS.

I notive that the MTS file for the clip is 24.45 mbs, which is just about right for the 1080p60 mode. (I get similar bitrate results on my Sony HX9v in that mode.)
  • Maybe the ISO would be improved with the pellicle removed--the ultimate hack! For now I'll be keeping my GH2, but it looks interesting.
  • Could not agree more Cosimo...I think its best to wait till the camera's are out and get samples/give it a try...not from words from a Sony rep of all people.
  • Hmmm. There are words you can bank on, but "Sony says..." I think may not be among them.
  • Just talked to Sony UK.

A77 - Some doubts over HDMI resolution and on-screen graphics.

But Sony say moire and aliasing are not an issue.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/3763/sony-a77-no-moire-aliasing-but-hdmi-output-not-full-hd-during-live-view

• This seems to be from an MTS file, so from the camera. Even with vimeo's compression, it should look a LOT better. Seems to be aliasing, and the water is falling apart. Thoughts?
  • What about the hdmi output?
  • As I had predicted: typical Sony, always crippling just a bit so you still have to buy a FS-100.
  • @flyguy

Thanks for report.

Do you have any photos?

>And FYI, theres no 60p and 24p for the PAL version. Only 50i, 50p, 25p.

Yes, again regional settings :-)

>But for stills, when you were to spam your shots 12fps, the screen goes blank. You can only see the first and last picture of the burst shots. LOL SONY!

They had similar issue with previous generation.
    Reason is simple - processor is not fast enough.
    It seems that it is able only to store simple raw at this speed.

• Oh yeah the SLT is good for video. EVF! But for stills, when you were to spam your shots 12fps, the screen goes blank. You can only see the first and last picture of the burst shots. LOL SONY!
  • Just had my taste of the A77 just now at the private launch. First thing first, you can have AF even in manual mode not just P. (: And FYI, theres no 60p and 24p for the PAL version. Only 50i, 50p, 25p.

But then again, the Sony fella told me that its just a prototype. So everything would be different in the final product.

And oh yeah, if you love the 12fps, think again! Yes the 12fps is fast BUT the buffer is HELL SLOW. It takes 10-12 seconds for the buffer to clear and to write the pics to the memory card. That's a bummer for most of the sports photography enthusiast that was there just now.

And the last thing that just bugs me, the screen of the A77 is cluttered with rubbish everywhere. Its just confusing looking at the screen. No manual audio control too. BUMMER. Thats SONY for you.

GH2 still wins. (: (:
  • I'm excited about Sony's new gadgets. Not that I want any. Sony is pushing the other mirrorless makers harder.
  • Just wait for the GH3... announcement early next year. The Sony's do nothing special.. they conform to the AVCHD 2.0 spec... so will every other cam that will be released from now on.

Canon can be very interesting as they will either do the same or use their 4:2:2 broadcast codec. I think there is a good chance they will use the last one on the 1D-7D-5D lines (the XX and XXX lines will use the AVCHD 2.0 spec I suppose, as they are very consumer orientated, maybe even the 7D).
  • The bald Swiss guy (Videocoach LOL) says the video was shot in auto mode? WTF?

• Yeah he did a vg20 video also with the same problem. Now he is supposed to be a video instructor!!!
  • I suppose this swiss guy has shot with 50i at 17mbps with no good de-interlacing. There is a lot of ghosting...
  • For photography, no miracles here, 24 megapixel apsc sensor + 30% light loss from slt does not good give high iso. I don't know how it will translate for video but a bit of a show stopper, lots of NR smearing no details as low as 800 iso.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA77/AA77A.HTM

• This guy is suppose to be a video guy WTF... His video images are shit while his photos are much better. His videos look so... video. Deep dof, highly contrasted image and god the blur on the boat shot. I think he used an open shutter. It is strange how many of those big corporation use shit people to test and show their product. He could not do worst than this. In this world of look rather than substance where suffice to say that someone gets some hype using a blog etc.
  • Seems to be a lot of aliasing still and the other scenes seem blurred-soft, is it me or does this look awful!
  • It's announced.

- DPReview reports that switching to movie mode on the A77 results in a dramatic crop of the sensor. It isn’t yet clear whether this crop goes away if you disable SteadyShot Inside in movie mode.
    - There are no manual audio controls (as far as we know)
    - The HDMI output is 1080p not interlaced! Good news.
    - It has peaking for manual focus
    - AF micro adjust (like the 5D Mk II) is present
    - AF in video mode is only available in P mode not M (boo!)
    - NEX7 has manual control in video mode (WOO!)

http://www.eoshd.com/content/3715/official-sony-a77-announced-sony-nex-7-has-full-manual-control-in-video-mode
  • MAN! Did you guys see this A77 Video yet?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/mL6KZXE96MW1/?tag=rumors0a-20

Amazon page shows it's body only price is $1,399.99. I'm so pumped up about this camera. I can't wait to see what the video looks like!

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Digital-Translucent-Mirror-Technology/dp/B005IHAICK/?tag=rumors0a-20
  • @fstopandgo, I must admit that if I had the money i'd definitely go for a RED. Love the small size and modular system and of course the great resolution. Thing is tho, with every advance the DSLR's are getting better and better for a fraction of the price. I'm really hoping that these new Sony's up the anti and give us just about everything we need image wise. If they do that will push Canon, Panasonic and Nikon to have to step up too.