Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Sony A77 topic
  • 111 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kislev
    The 5D is no consumer camera.

@EOSHD
    You always talk about rumors and press release like you have used the product, but you are only judging specs while all the sample images and videos look crap compared to what's out there already. Marketing people must love sensational journalist like you.

Add the crippled features to that and what's left? A technological advance that is mediocre in execution, like it always is with Sony products.

I am more than happy to wait for Canon or Nikon.

Also:
    The megapixel race started again... 24MP is just a marginal improvement over 16MP but it demands perfect lenses. I prefer to stay where we are now and work on the software side of things and improve the current sensors (better read out, no moire, no rolling shutter, 4:2:2 codecs).
  • For Me, No A 77!
  • Until these cameras are in the hands of actual consumers and being fully pushed to the limit, it's hard to get too crazy about the very limited videos we've seen. I think it's great that the VDSLR community has some new toys that seem to have pushed the capabilities another step forward. Each step makes it that much more likely we'll get more of what we want from the other companies trying to outdo what Sony has done.

I'm still excited about the functions that these cameras bring to the table. I have Canons right now and have been hoping and praying for 5DMKIII. This makes me even more anxious to see what Canon does. IMO a new 5DmkII is most likely to sit at the top of the heap again but when will we see it and how far will Canon push. Has Sony made them have to go further than they already may have wanted to go? I hope so. What will Panasonic do?

A77 is an aggressive step by Sony no matter how you slice it. They went all in on TMT and OLED EVF. Also for those complaining about 12fps taking too long to buffer, remember that it's still 12fps! They've pushed Canon to improve 7D and that's what we want. Maybe new firmware will improve things by time of sale.
  • http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sonyslta77/page8.asp

Raw video file downloads...but nothing special.

All in all...its too early days to make a real opinion and give facts...I was interested in the Nex 7...but here in uk official price is 999 pounds body only...which is too expensive for my liking...so im gonna wait.
  • Canon you use Canon FD glass with the A77? With an adapter without a lens inside? Thanks, Jon
  • @Vitaliy_Kislev

I do understand your point about pixel peepers, but on the other side you have to expect a certain quality at mid high ISO. I am not talking of 6400 and above for an Apsc camera but when your 800 and 1600 are like mud with so much NR, then you can be critical. I would say that to todays level you should expect good 800 and 1600 ISO. Now it is not a final firmware, so I will reserve my judgement when more test are done with a production camera. For now on paper the camera is fantastic (good for marketing selling a 24 megapixel camera) but for now the most important... image quality seems not that good, but it is only early days. I hope it is not more form over substance. I really hope that we will see better example and for video also to see about moire/aliasing etc
  • "I am more than happy to wait for Canon or Nikon. " Keep waiting cause they will disappoint you. They have left features out of ALL of their DSLR's, with no exceptions.

"The 5D is no consumer camera. " It is in fact intended to be a prosumer/entry pro cam not a pro camera. Pro is the 1D line. Many pro photog's are moving to the 5D and that has surprised Canon like everything else. This will no doubt affect their 1D line as well as the 5DmkIII's pricing(it should be higher). In this economic climate there is no reason to release a $3k consumer DSLR when the current model still sell's robustly.

Pixel peeping is pointless. Get the camera that works best for you. Its like people clamoring for clean HDMI out when most camcorders can already do that. When the GH2 came out there were like 3 people testing the HDMI output while hundreds were praying it worked, AS if it would actually improve their home videos. Features should be more important.

Features are more important for my daily work at digital agency. A77 is weather sealed, big , 1080/60 and has a host of other features that are important to me, but the lens adaptability issues will probably keep me away. If nikkon lenses easily adapt it would be a must buy for me.

I love DSLR's, but right now they just don't work for me when I need them to. The GH2 comes the closest. DSLR's will always be crippled in some way, because they are not aimed at the indie filmmakers. As of yet there is no DVX100 for the HDSLR era at a reasonable price IMHO. Camcorders in the sub 3k range are a phenomenal deal right now and no one cares because they think they cant make the next great movie with them.
  • From now, as we seen, A 77 seems to be a fucking piece of marketing.
    Let's wait a couple of weeks, we'll got a better look about that we need here:
    - great codec or full hdmi 4.2.2 out
    - real FULL HD definition and not S-VHS one :-)
    - real Dynamic Range

DPreview test the video part and ... no comment :-/

as says @Aria, lets wait for ver 1.0.
    sonyA77.jpg
    1919 x 1078 - 248K
    GH2.jpg
    1916 x 1077 - 698K
  • @Vitaliy_kislev

ill upload pictures soon. But the buffer rate is the same through out the every reso. Tried lowering down the reso to 24mp and below, its all the same. I thought lower reso will result in faster write to the card but turns out no. Same problem. LOL!
  • Me having no interest in buying A77. A-mount... I don't know.

I just wanna know how new features Sony is introducing perform. Of course focusing on video related features. While recording video, how's IQ of EVF? Any motion artifact from 1080p60 AVCHD? HDMI output analysis? Rolling shutter, tonal gradation, dynamic range, color curves, noise control, moire, aliasing on video clips?

Prolly too early to tell.
  • We just downloaded the original mts files. Not good on the codec end with motion. It's actually a great reminder of how very good the hack is making the GH2 look, as you start to get used to things looking that solid.
  • 24p or 60p?
  • My God those videos look disgusting... looks like Flip video or something. Of course, they are on an overcast cloudy day with crappy composition and boring subjects.
  • I think Sony has made a remarkable achievement--they almost equaled a two year old cam, the Canon 5D Mk2. But hey, it is cheaper.
  • @DrDave

Yes, pretty remarkable by Sony standards... and hey, it doesn't shoot to proprietary Sony media! Sony is just going crazy lately!
  • Some opinions:

As a current Olympus user, I can't help but feel the siren's call of this camera with its sensor that is twice the resolution of the current Olympus 4/3rds sensors and has 40% greater areal space. And then there's the magnesium-built body's environmental (dust and moisture) sealing and the new Sony DT 16-50mm constant f/2.8 with the same environmental sealing. Add the sensor-based image stabilization and dust-busting sensor shake, and on "paper" the Sony α77 makes a for a powerful replacement for both the Olympus E-3 and the E-5.

But that's at first blush. Digging deeper and reading many of the pre-release reviews, I came across the Imaging Resource's review and this particular paragraph:

From what we can tell, there is no strategy for keeping dust off the translucent mirror, except to blow the surface gently with air; it cannot be cleaned, and should never be touched. A fingerprint would require replacement at a service center.
    This is what I was afraid might be delivered. What use is an environmentally sealed body and lens when, by removing the lens and violating the totally sealed system, something happens to fall on the pellicle mirror that requires a trip to the service center? The Sony α77, at a suggested MSRP of $1,400 body only, is a bit too rich to have to send to a service center due to a wayward fingerprint, or any other contaminant that might wind up on the pellicle mirror. It may be that there's no danger, that this is a red herring, a false alarm. And then again, maybe not.

Read the rest: http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2011/08/avoiding-sirens-song.html

So why do I think Sony gets it when everyone else is stuck at 2004? When I first picked up an Olympus EP-2 with the VF2 finder on it I knew I was looking at the future of professional digital cameras. Not because the EP-2 was so incredible (and for many reasons it was) but because the EVF was such a revelation. You could see what you'd really get. When you look through an optical finder you're seeing an image that's always at a wide open aperture setting, and it's beguiling with a narrow depth of field and a bright image. But a great EVF shows you what you're really going to end up with once you push the button. It's reading all the stuff you shoved in ROM and it's finessing the image exactly the way you requested. If you set a color balance manually it's showing you THAT color balance in the finder. No surprises. If you set f11 or f1.4 the EVF is showing you the exact DOF you'll end up with. The only two glitches were the shooting delay caused by moving mirrors and the fact that early EVF's sucked in low light. As the camera's files got darker and noisier so did the finder image. That was/is the Achille's heel of my beloved Sony R1......

Read the rest: http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2011/08/why-sony-a77-changes-everything-going.html

• The guy in that A77 review probably used 1080p @ 60 FPS for the video. However, he also encoded it to 1080i when he edited. It clearly has interlaced artifacts. Epic fail if you claim to be a video instructor.
  • Doesn't A77 use digital image stabilization for video?
  • >Doesn't A77 use digital image stabilization for video?

It looks so, so less sensor heating happens :-)
    Plus you get crop making FOV almost equal to GH2 :-)
  • Digital IS sucks. ILIS is the way to go. Like Power OIS. Or stable rig.
  • α77 is a very interesting model.

BTW, similarly, this α77 seems also to have the problem of heat though there were a lot of people who dislike problem of heat in Japan at the time of α55 and do not use it.

Does not this become a problem so much in the areas other than Japan?

http://www.sony.jp/ichigan/products/SLT-A77VQ/feature_4.html

Environmental temperature - Continuous recording time limit(OIS:ON)
    20℃ ------- 29minutes
    30℃ ------- 29minutes
    40℃ ------- 13minutes

- Please restart recording after leaving while turned off power when the recording stops according to the temperature for several minutes, and falling the temperature of the camera.

• Uhhhgggg... Sony should get some professional movie/video maker to promote their camera than using the money to buy travel ticket and hotel rooms (press event in Greece, I am sure those reviewers will praise Sony camera). Filmed in 50p, mud mud mud codec breakup everywhere, aliasing. You can download the 1080p MTS image. Damn, I don't know if the guy use that part of the video because it is so fast that it might hide the aliasing (Form moire, I see a lot of purple on the water but I can't confirm it because it is smeared) but he achieved the contrary in another way.
  • From a historical film standpoint, the minolta glass is considered to be some of the best lower cost lenses out there. They, like Panasonic today, benefitted from their 80's collaborations with Leica, just as their teams were developing their AF Line, they were producing lenses that some say are up there with leica. It just seems like the bones of the SLT A-77 are good enough to deserve being freed from it's firmware.