Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @fatpig I would be careful about the 45 mb/s card as this card is known to be problematic (sometimes) with the GH2, with the increased data rates of the cinema camera the fact that the 45 mb/s appears in an ad may turn out to be misleading. All I know is John Brawley is currently using the 64/95 card and that the price for these cards will be lower when the pocket camera arrives, so I am holding out for any additional card till Blackmagic gives us a card list.. Which I believe they have said they will do on release :)

• Of course we will all test with the GH2 cards we already have. No hurry to buy something here.

I never had a problem with the Intra driftwood patches and my 45mb/s card.

Not to be mistaken with the 30mb/s ones which are a disaster.

• @fatpig: same here, my 45mb/s work like a charm with all settings. the old 45mbs were not good, but the new ones ressemble the old 30mbs ones.

• @Chaos123x

This is from BMD's site: "When using ProRes you can record for more than 50 minutes on a 64GB SD card at 24 frames per second and swapping cards takes just seconds!" so it looks like right around 50 mins of ProRes

• Just call it JCj (Jellocam Jr.) Mark my words: m43 glass with Image Stabilization will be fine, But the length of 35mm and 50mm full frame "go-to" lenses on this thing are gonna be a jello train wreck. if Super 16mm lenses aren't going to cover the sensor, most will be using the glass already in their kit, and other easily obtained lenses. --- Jello city.

It's a very nice image, but I'm thinking the lower price is so you can go out and buy all new glass JUST for this cam.

• You guys just have to put all ideas and strength together and raise a kickstarter campaign on a bad ass M43 adapter à la speed booster with image stabilization and anamorphic capabilities with multiple lens mounts! Oh and a built in variable nd filter! I know I'm so ahead !

• @shian

Have you considered After Effects CS6 rolling shutter repair? I know it's an extra step, but seems pretty effective to me.

• How about using a tripod? lol

But really if you want a global shutter get the 4K it's actually pretty dirt cheap also.

Also doesn't FCP X automagically correct this?

• @Chaos123x

Yes FCPX does it automatically on import if you want it to. It does a really good job too. I use that feature all the time.

• DANG! I didn't realize that those worked so well to remove Rolling Shutter Skew. I must admit that it's very comforting to know that if we do end up with skewed footage that it can be repaired for the most part. It may not be perfect but it's more than good enough for me.

• Don't expect miracles. Woks well with pans but not with more complex motion in the frame.

• If you have FCPX and need more control get MotionBend. I hear really good things. I will probably be purchasing soon.

http://www.motionbend.com/

• "How about using a tripod?"

not everyone likes lifeless, staged looking shots.

• My new Cosmicar 6,5mm f1.8 1inch, No Vignetting =>18,72 mm (2.88 Crop)

super16mm.jpg
    800 x 600 - 139K
  • A bit of barrel distortion on the sides tough.

• What did you test the Cosmicar 6.5mm with? I'm guessing if it fits the gh2 it will fit the pocket fine? Are all MFT mounts the same? Read that some c-mounts are too deep and can hit the sensor (or break your shutter on still cameras).

• Looks like the raw compression maybe 2:1

• Funny, its a kind of pocket guy himself...

• @Tungee77 Which adapter were you using for C-Mount to MFT? It would be good to know of a quality one for when the BMPCC comes out.

• @ kevin_kirchman http://www.enjoyyourcamera.com/Objektivadapter/Adapter-an-Micro-Four-Thirds/C-Mount-Objektiv-Micro-Four-Thirds-Adapter::4696.html

@ Chaos123x i tested it with the GF2 and GH2, no problems so far, but i dont know if the pocket mft is different.....

@ Trumpetman it is something between Fisheye and superwide...

• Are Zeiss primes required to get this look out of BMCC?

I'm mainly referring to the smoothness (not soft, but smooth) of the skin, while still retaining detail, in the close-up shots. I'm guessing BMPCC will be able to get the same look with the same lenses since it's the same sensor.

Do you think the Voigtlander 17.5 can get something close to this look or is this unique to Zeiss?

• @TGDude

I've used Zeiss ZE/ZF's on my Blackmagic(s), they definitely have their own look and it's a good one. Neutralish, pretty sharp just over wide open. I do not think the Voigtlander would have that look wide open or even stopped down, but its own value.

The Zeiss look is pretty unique to Zeiss altogether. I shoot with SLRMagics (12/1.6 and 25/0.95) on my MFT Blackmagic, they aren't as clinical and have a more "nostalgic" feel. It's different, I like it, but it's different.

• @kholi do you have any screen grabs or video of your Blackmagics with the Voigtlander? If so which Voigtlander lens? I ask cause like @TGDude I was thinking that the 17.5mm V lens was going to be perfectly matched for cinematography shooting on the BMPCC.

• Thanks @kholi

I recently got the Voigtlander 17.5mm F0.95 in anticipation of either getting BMPCC (already pre-ordered) or BMCC-MFT. I sold my Panasonic Leica DG 25mm F1.4 that I was using on GH2.

That clip from my previous post with the Zeiss glass makes me want to go with Zeiss instead, lol.

@kholi I checked vimeo and saw some of your BMCC-MFT clips, assuming your channel is http://vimeo.com/campcomet ... Glad you actually took sample footage using human faces, lol. Your stuff looks great and I can see how each lens has it's own look on the cam. I've always had one "normal" FOV lens on all of my past camera bodies. I never really kept a stash of lenses to compare.

Your vimeo video titled "ProRes LT" that was shot with ""Zeiss 35/2 ZF" according to the comments is very similar to the smooth skin look that I want on BMPCC.