Personal View site logo
Beginners: Basic hacks questions, series 2
  • 318 Replies sorted by
  • @puttydivision you can load one setting at a time onto the camera, but some folks carry cheap SD cards with a different settings on each one, so that you can swap between settings as required, in the field. Just remember that you should always use a fully charged original panasonic battery when installing the hack :)

• @puttydivision only one at once. What you call hack is actually manipulated firmware, there can be only one loaded. Camera understands it as firmware update and loads it.

• Hello I am new to hacking. I installed the hack Sedna Q20 and have recorded several planes with a Panasonic Class 10 16Gb card Read 90 Write 25 Mb / s. My question is this: This hack works to 154 mb / s. So far I have not failed. But the camera should not fail because I'm working with too much information?

• @Axier, I think you are saying you have had no card fails, and are just asking if the camera can handle the ammount of info. If that is your question, then the answer is yes, your camera can handle it. Some patches have exceeded 170 MB/s and so long as the card can keep up so does the camera. There are limits for the camera which are not much higher, but I am not sure what the limit is.

• @mee,Sorry I have explained bad I wanted to ask if it should fail the memory card. When talking about working at 150 mb or 170 mb I do not understand its relation to the capacity of the cards who says for example read 90mb and write at 25mb

• @mee and @Axier
    guys, just read more careful: Mbit/s is not same as MB/s. 1MB=8Mbit

• How do you guys deal with the huge file sizes for some of the high bit hacks (my files average 1GB per minute)? Should I transcode to a specific format that won't take up as much space?

• @DFuture, your best bet if you worried about space is to use 5d2rgb or clip wrap to transcode to proves HQ, then edit down your selects (you should be able to throw 50 - 75 percent of your footage), and then export as source (eg as prores hq) and trash the original. mts files. This of course isn't the best option -- we use the gh2s on a multi-million dollar doc project (as b cam with Reds), and we transcode to a low bit edit-friendly format, backup the mts files to tape or raid arrays, and then relink in resolve during online.

The added benefit though of the first approach, especially if you are not shooting commercially, is that it will allow you do engage with your footage, see what you are doing well and what you are not, and refine your approach, prior to shooting more. Not enough people spend enough time seriously looking at their footage, and when you're forced to choose what you keep and what you throw out, you start to behave more like a professional, and less like a tourist with a handycam. Its important to shoot as much as possible, but if you are not reviewing what you shoot regularly, you're missing a big opportunity.

• @JDN Thank you for the advice. I downloaded Clipwrap 2.4.3 and transcoded to Apple ProRes 422 HQ. However, the file size turned out to be exactly the same size as the same clip that I log and transferred in FCP7 (a 2.03GB for a 1:32min duration: Using AN Boom patch). Is this pretty much the smallest file size I should expect without compromising quality?

• @DFuture, yes, srry, should have said, the benefit of clipwrap / 5d2rgb is not compression, but rather that it gives you a new edit friendly master and avoid the FCP7 gamma shift issues (see eoshd for thorough discussion), and general issues with fcp log-and-transfer/avid import and hacked mts files. Just chop down a rough cut from that and turn it into your new master.

• @tetakpatak I am aware of the difference, but often type it wrong.

@DFuture The best advice I can give is use a lower end setting like cake or sanity for your non pro shots, Cake in particular uses much less memory. That being said storage is up there with my expenses because not only am I doing my best to look at all my footage and throw away as much as possible as JDN mentioned, but I actually am a tourist in a very real sense, as I live in Japan (from the US). After 2 years my relentless filming of everything that makes Japan different has slowed, but I still go through a TB every 3 months or so. Luckily 2TB drives are only $70 here. However my back is already hurting from thinking about the brick of a suitcase I am going to be lugging back to the US.

• MAYDAY. I was updating my firmware, like i have done a few times before, and somehow my battery went down. Camera doesn't show any image on the screen now. Well it powers up but no image on screen just a weird vague sound inside the camera almost like one clock ticking seconds or like a bad hard drive. I have tried all four batteries here and same thing. Camera is off warranty, what should I do? HELP, please. Really stuck here.

• I have a general question about the sharpness settings that regards probably all DSLRs. All DSLRs that i have used, had just one setting to change - the value of the sharping, not the radius size. I mean the radius changing, in same way as it is in Photoshop sharpness filter. That can be usefull for more precision moire adjustments. For new GH3 for example. =) Is it possible in the future to obtain the sharpness radius setting with alternative firmware?

• image hello i m french ,i have put GH2_V11 not V12 ...,hacked with moon trial 5 in other folder of GH2_V11 stock ,it is a problem? please

IMG_3278 - Copie.JPG
    1659 x 1106 - 490K
  • Well, since you're French... You can name the firmware image file as GH2__V11.bin (two underscores) and place it in the root of the memory card, and your camera should recognize it. If you were able to flash your camera with the image, then it did work. If GH2__V11.bin doesn't work, try GH2__V12.bin which I'm certain works.

• ok i have already put the firmware hacked in my gh2,but i would like know if it is a probleme of not changed numero V11 for the camera ?

• @jahmannnn balazer just answered you, if you meant with "already put" that you've flashed successfully the new firmware, obviously it worked perfectly well.

• Hack, firmware update, patch, etc.. from the cameras point of view are they the same thing? and more to the point, from the non tech layman's pov, are they the same in their application? I guess my next question would be..if Panasonic wanted to, could they offer firmware updates that match hacks, and or patches that are only available because of people passionate and intelligent enough to put them out there.

• Your camera is a computer. The firmware is the programming that the computer runs. Updating the firmware means putting new programming in the device. Hacking means changing the programming in a way that the manufacturer didn't envision. A patch is an individual change made to the firmware image. Panasonic can do whatever they want.

• Thanks balazerfor explaining

• OK, I thought things went a bit too smoothly for me the other day when I downloaded new firmware 1.1 and then the Quantum x "spanmybitchup" v2 hack. This mornig I tried 720p in manual mode and discovered the following.

seem to have lost control over the live view, as it shows up being over exposed on the LCD and LVF, and of course records underexposed.

big exposure variations when viewed in recording and playback, with dark corners disloving in and out.

screen flashes when recording is finished.

menu screen darkens when covered by cap, then brightens when uncovered.

Have taken out battery and card and restarted etc. present card in camera is sandisk 16g, 30MB.

24p Cinema mode seems ok at this stage.

Any help with what I've done wrong would be very much appreciated.

• I set the hyerfocal distances manually for the Panasonic 14mm, 20mm and Sigma 30mm lenses and saved each in C1, C2 and C3. Are those settings erased when I load a new firmware patch?

Further research reveals that it is not necessary to save the manually set hyperfocal distances to begin with as the GF1/GH2 set the hyperfrocal distances based on the set aperture when the camera is turned on in the manual focus mode and a Panasonic lens attached.

• Is it necessary to install Version 1.1 GH2 Update and replace my Version 1.0 firmware?

• I have just mastered manual focusing using the EVF finder and have mastered taking still photographs.. Thanks to this sight and members I have improve in areas that I doubted on the GH2. I have another small problem.. Auto focus... When ever I use this feature on the GH2 I get only 45% success with video and 60% with stills. The rest of the images come out blurry. I have tried AFC & AFS with no luck. Another thin I get is focus hunting.. Whoops!!! I'm in the wrong subject thread this is hacking topic.. Sorry....

I have GH2 firmware is version 1.0 on my camera.. Is it necessary to switch to version 1.1 and will version 1.1 give me any improvements over the 1.0 version firmware? I also want to hack my camera but not sure where to start... There are so many hacks that I just don't Know where to start. Ps do any of the hacks improve my cameras slow motion? I am only able to use 80% on 24p cinema variable frame rate which is not enough.