Personal View site logo
AVCHD: Stable settings
  • 288 Replies sorted by
  • @arvidtp

If you have to revert back to 3.61, the 65mb extreme settings will span. They look as good as the new 44 (better to my eye) but at least they'll span until the new 3.62 settings are sorted.
  • What are the best stable settings for maximum image quality right now?

GOP? (I read: low GOP not good in 3.62, use GOP12 or higher)
    Quantizer? (I read: use AQ 3 or 4 for maximum detail)
    Framebuffers? (I read: multiply times the bitrate - so x2 for 44mbit)
    Spanning? (Not working in 3.62 with bitrate over 32mbit?)

I lost track with all the progress that everyone is making.

I would love 44mbit settings that improve image quality/detail/less banding that span. All I need :)
  • (ps Im a hack newbee!)
    Ive just hacked and tried out "a new Setting @cbrandin 1080p/ @Butt 720p B-Frames
    GOP12" against normal camera settings, for a spesific dark picture and shooting situation. 24p 1080 H.

Used Scandisk 16gb gr10.
    Stability, for me no problem. Thou it stops at 4gb file(tried 3 times). Camera will playback files that was stopped by me(not those stopped by 4gbsize). FCP log transfere will convert all files except 4gb files. VoltaicHD converts the 4gb files.

Picture:
    Same light, position,nostalgic(-1,0,-1,-1), iso 640, voiglander, f2, generally underexposed, out of focus darker area, resolution chart in focus.

Result: less banding/areas with one single color, more detail,
    and much more noice all over, thou noise is small grained, its very prominent.. This acounts also for test in 160iso, white surface, (smooth setting -2-2-2-2) which makes for a lt of green red noise. Too much for my liking.

Any oppinions experience on this noise?

Ill try standard 3.62 settings and AQ: 2.
  • AQ:2 and standard 3.62 seems to be much less noise.
  • And Big Thanks for all great work by Vitaly and testing and settings done in forum!
  • @gong I think you may have changed a lot of settings at once? Can you post both sets of settings that you see a lot less noise between?
  • @kae thanks for the tip about 65mbit extreme settings spanning. would that be this post? http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/10555#Comment_10555
  • Here is the shortfilm I shot with my GH23 at 42Mbps
  • @arvidtp

Yes, those are the ones. They are all stable except for 1080i 50 mode which is buggy because the low gop is locked to 1080p and 24L won't work. Remember to reformat your card when you start using them and if a clip won't play in cam, just turn the cam on and off and it usually will. The 10 frame glitch in 1080p will be in the front of each clip. But, so far at least, these 1080p 24h settings still look better to me for motion than anything I've seen posted from 3.62.
  • @larsolite

Waoo good job.

Hi Kae, Or download the firmware 3.61?
  • Do the video buffer and audio buffer get set automatically with 3.62 when you change the bitrate? Might increasing these help with spanning?
  • I was testing for two days shooting the rosemary killer camera bush and his friend lavender bush. These bushes killed cosimo_bullo's 88mbps settings and others including my own. These extreme settings worked fantastic in doors with less detailed scenes. I was over joyed with what I was seeing but then, then rosemary had to spoil it all.

I thought I had a great setting to share but after reading higher bit rates will not span. Bummer (I have not tested this myself not yet.) I was planning to post a real stable 24H-66mbps, 24L-44mbps, 720FSH-44mbps AQ-4 & 720AQ-2
    Works with Cards 6 &10 on these settings. I used Transend class 6 16gb and Sandisk class 10 16gb
    I'll post anyway for those doing shorter clips.

I have not tested the spanning on this patch but from what I'm reading from others it's not going to span. I might go back to 3.61 as Kae had a great setting I played with.
    Thanks to everyone
    setd.zip
    489B
    24H-66--AQ3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 918K
    24L-44-AQ3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 867K
  • Apologies if this is a foolish question, but the only version of PTools available is v3.62, correct? The web link on the 3.61 page ( http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/414/ptool-3.61d-topic/p1 ) is directed to the same page where version 3.62 is hosted ( https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/ptool-software).
  • @killagram

Thanks Man

(And V.K Forerever ;-)
  • I just ran a test with Vitaily's recommended settings (those that are in the notes of Ptool) span. The only thing I changed was the GOP (from default 12 to 6). Need to run Streamparser but at least the spanning does work above 32mbit. Needs more testing.
  • Just as a clarification, I could get spanning to work at 32mbit/sec with 3.62 but only when the scene was pretty static and the average bitrate of the resulting recording was ~22mbit/sec. When I would shoot a tree outside (so leaves filled the whole frame) and the bitrate of the recording was the full 32mbits, that's when spanning would die. And again, maybe my SD card is just crappy (patriot LX 32 GB class 10).
  • @arvidtp
    Thanks for the info. I was going to try lower Mbit setting in ptool 3.62. I had erased the earlier ptool. No looking back just have to wait for the new ptool.
    @sohus
    Are you getting as good a look compared to the GOP 12? Just asking because of the bug with lower GOPs.
  • I know its disheartening to go backwards, but I can send the 3.61 binary to anyone who wants it…

Also @sohus what material were you shooting? If its a scene that does not demand a high bitrate spanning can work.
  • @arvidtp Thanks man, might take ya up on it. I think I still have mine at home though. If I do I'll try and host it.
  • Thanks arvidtp
    I might take you up on that.
    Luke
  • @sam sorry, I compared unhacked and hacked(settings:"a new Setting @cbrandin 1080p/ @Butt 720p B-Frames GOP12"). But I think the noise thing was a question of AQ settings. guess there is a balancepoint where AQ add noise in dark areas, instead of detail, but it may be just a taste question?. (seems like nostalgia filmode adds noise too.)
  • AQ makes noise more prominent, but it also adds detail to non-noise portions of the image (better gradation). Maybe use a little in camera NR?

Chris
  • thanks for tip, Im trying it out.
  • Can someone send me a link to Ptool 3.61?

I was shooting a static scene in low light with a low bitrate it turned out. So it appears that the effective bitrate makes or breaks spanning under 3.62. I read that 3.61 spanned clips of 66mbps -- what changed between them? Can this be fixed by Vitaily in 3.63? I am thinking of reverting to stock for now (with 29 min removal and PAL/NTSC switch).
  • ptool 3.61 is here: http://arvidtp.net/browse.php?dir=/dropbox/gh2-hack

I don’t have the official zip anymore, so you get my setting files also :) set h is my current conservative setup where spanning seems to work (32mbit max for 1080p24 and 720p). I may test 36mbits tomorrow but tried 44 today with these settings otherwise the same and it didn’t span on my SD card.