Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
AVCHD: Stable settings
  • 288 Replies sorted by
  • @TommiH can you post the original before the levels in Ps so that we can judge. what Iso was it shot?

Thanks
  • @danyyyel , Here is the original: http://hares.fi/orig.png Can't be sure about the ISO, but I think it was 160.
  • 66Mbps/GOP6/AQ3 seems stable. Can it join in this Stable settings family? That might require Class10 card though.
  • Setting Original GOP CBrandin 1080p and @Butt 720p B-Frames (PTool 3.62D)

setc.zip
    427B
  • @Butt

nice... Have you tested these using a tripod and setting focus mode to AFS? Testing that on a highly detailed scene with a fast shutter will really stress the codec. How are the bitrates holding up - no big dips in bitrate?

Chris
  • Yes - i testet Shutter 1/100 in bright sunlight - the Bitrate is stable - no big dips in bitrate: very evenly
    thank you
  • AFS & fast shutter will stress the codec? Is it because of more focused details and more data required for B-frames?
  • @Butt

I was thinking about something and I wanted your opinion. A common use for 720p is slow-motion. It seems to me that if you have gotten 720p with B frames stable, there might be an additional thing to try; that is, setting the 720p GOP to 12. My theory is that if B frames are used, and the GOP is set to 12, you end up with footage that would blend very well with 24H footage. Does this make sense to you?

Chris
  • @stonebat

It's because with handheld there is always, no matter how much you try to avoid it, some blurring. In my tests I have been able to use extreme settings that never fail if the camera is hand held. Put it on a tripod, set AFS (which prevents focus hunting, which also blurs), and a failure occurs virtually instantly if something is wrong. It's rather amazing...

@Butt

this sounds very good - nice job!

Chris
  • How about blending 1080p GOP6 & 720p GOP6?

1080p GOP6 has 4 I-frames each sec.

When 720p60 GOP6 conforms to 24p, each sec will have 4 I-frames.
  • @stonebat

Sounds good to me - go for it!

Chris
  • @cbrandin your case sounds familiar to me. When 720p60 footage gets slowed down a lot by Twixtor or Timewarp, sharp images are preferred. Yes higher shutter speed and stable shot. Usually those shots are on a fast moving subject. In this case what would be preferred AQ setting? Lower or higher?
  • @stonebat

Tests will tell. I've noticed that you can go quite a ways toward detail before motion is compromised. I have to admit, though, my testing of fast moving objects has been somewhat limited.

Chris
  • I have no problem. My 6 years old kid can run sooooo fast. I will test it out.
  • 44Mbit 6GOP 24P crashed on my 8gb Class 6 Sandisk Extreme card. Lowering it to 42Mbit has been stable so far.
  • @Anpanman

Here are my settings using the default bit rates per tips for 24H/L, FSH/FH and SH/H. I am using some of the cheapest SD cards you can get - Maxell 8gb class 10, Kingston 16gb class 10, and Kingston 32gb class 6. Without setting the GOP 6 for all the modes, I ran into write failure for all the cards. After I changed the GOP 6 for 24H/L and FSH/FH and GOP 15 for SH/H, I did not get any write failure as often. However, I went ahead and doubled the frame buffers for the all modes. Only then, I got stable recordings. Here are my settings.
    setf.zip
    444B
  • @Dusty42
    Tried out your settings, I get a few "garbled" frames at the beginning, but after that in 24p and 60p the video looks fine.
    In 24L, im getting strobing and garbage though. (I tested 10sec clips at both High and low settings in 24p and 60p)
    Ill have to wait till i can test the clips on Stream phraser to have a look at the Bit rate.
  • 66Mbps GOP6 AQ3 24H passed my bush of death test. But there seems a weird pattern. B&P frame size up in one GOP. Then down in next GOP.

44Mbps GOP6 AQ1 60P failed the test. Prolly I need to set 60p FB parameter...
    test2.jpg
    1280 x 683 - 315K
  • Anyone have a stable "middle" range settings, im looking to cover a long event, but would like to switch into higher bitrates when key elements happen (i.e. fire dancers, 5min performances, etc.)
    I played around with the new patch, but I dont really understand everything im doing... im interested in consistant 32 and 42Mbit in 24/60p. Thanks in advance.
  • @daihard
    Use Vitaliy's suggested settings in Ptools 1.62! Gop 6 in 24p.
  • I just bought a Transcend 32GB class 10, which i thought would be the same as my two Transcend Class10 16gb
    I thought i got a bad card because i saw buffer bar on my 60D for the first few second of the recording in a complex scene on 200ISO, but it only happen to the first recording. to get buffer bar i need to re start the camera. I thought i got a bad card. but read a few similar reading and most get the speed around 12mb/s only... so... i guess 32gb isnt as good as 16gb? or maybe all their old batch with gold background are superior? now they are cutting the speed to gain more profit?

I tried writing a 2GB file from HD to SD card on both cards.
    32GB have a slow start from 6mb/s takes up to 5 sec to get to its optimal speed average 12.5mb/s
    16GB starts at average 12.5mb/s to average 16.5mb/s in less than 5 sec.
    (all numbers are from win7 transfer window)
    however, the transfer/read speed are the same on both 32bg and 16gb, which is around 19.5mb/s

so transcend 32gb will have more problem with high bitrate than the 16gb version users
    like... files might not split on the 32gb version
  • @cbrandin
    >war ich über etwas denken, und ich wollte Ihre Meinung. Eine häufige Verwendung für 720p ist Zeitlupe. Es scheint mir, dass, wenn Sie bekommen 720p mit B-Frames Stall haben, es könnte eine zusätzliche Sache, zu versuchen sein, das heißt, die Einstellung 720p GOP bis 12 Jahren. Meine Theorie ist, dass, wenn B-Frames verwendet werden, und die GOP ist auf 12 gesetzt, Sie am Ende mit Filmmaterial, das sehr gut mischen würde mit 24H Filmmaterial. Macht das Sinn?<

Yes Chris, that's my intention at 720 B-frames: That makes much sense
  • Ja, Ich glaube so auch. Warum haben Sie fast alles auf Deutsch geschreiben?

Chris
  • nice to see German here! Although some others will not be able to read it...