Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
AVCHD: Stable settings
  • 288 Replies sorted by
  • Butt@ "no - with Pana Gold Class 10 60MBps i have no Problem!!!
    I must not read this"

SDXC card ?
  • @Ulisse
    >I must not read this< then read something else

Yes: no problem with Pana Gold Class10 60Mbps SDHC
  • 720p B-Frames Setting (However, stability is an issue. If you record a 1080p @ 24 FPS video first and then record 720p @ 60 FPS stability returns.)
    seth.zip
    375B
  • If one wanted to insure auto-splitting over 4GB in 24p what would be the safest improved file posted here using a Sandisk Extreme HD 30 MB/s?
  • As a Gh2 owner and in awe of what is happening here I still do wonder (as I work in post 365 days a year) if the straws we are splitting are even relevant in the real world, do they actually have any gravity...certainly not a downer, but in the end surely it has to be seen somewhere other than vimeo?Chatting to a head of post recently in the UK, a guy with background of international film thru to Tv/video, and now wrangling (generally) 21 year old film graduates working in TV and shooting, his disdain and daily education of production on why Go Pro will cost another 1k to conform etc seems to be his main job - production want to know why it costs so much to "save" their footage and he bluntly has to reply ... it's shit! In essence let's not lose sight on the fact that bitrates and GOP aside we do actually have to shoot something "watchable" by people other than me you and the other "film-makers" on vimeo youtube etc want to dissect ... assuming we do actually want people to see it?
  • Also again in the same v large prod company - new camera choice came up AF100 was tested - ditched instantly (liked by the directors) ... why (no actual viewing at ALL lol) AVCHD hated - if the tech guy who's in charge of ingestion andhates a format - it is dead ... real world basic madness! - funny sad, but true!
  • @soundgh2 - I'm now at 13 years of just filmmaking, and FOR SURE the quality of the image is the key reason the phone keeps ringing. Yes, we can take the tweaking too far at times, and so we need - particularly as producers - to know what battles to fight. But in fact this site really is for the tweakers, those of us who LOVE to play with the image, who live and breathe this stuff. For what it's worth, we also have a non-MX'd RED, a 5d, and old Bolex cameras to play with, and the idea is to keep finding ways to make all of them look and perform better.
  • Yes, even the Bolex!!!
  • I used Butt's No. 2 setting (42MBit GOP6) with 14-140 kit lens, Transcend 32gb class 6 card, ex-tel mode and autofocus with no problem at all.

Here is the video (although it is compressed to 720P before upload):
  • @fatpig - I can't see a difference either between the hacked/non hacked 24p 24 megabit settings. I do get the blip at the beginning of my clips, even with the sven settings. I am going to "unhack" my GH2 and set it back to the original. For me, it's not worth the disk cost. I'm sure it greatly improves 720p and 1080i though; I just don't use those modes.
  • I just modified only the PAL time limit removed and bitrate FSH to 25,000, GOP 12, 1080 50i.
    I filmed the wedding and 4 hours recording is OK. Transcend 64GB SDXC class 10.
    Only the video does not play on the camera display. Is this normal?
  • Good advisement.

If you want really stable stuff, keep bitrate settings below 32Mbit.
  • These settings seem to run "stable" on my camera (even in conjunction with class 6 cards) with static scenes as well as with scenes containing lots of high frequency details and motion (tried clips of 20 minutes duration). This goes for the 2.5/14, 1.7/20, 14-42Kit and 0.95/25 Nokton.

Switching to NTSC results in card speed error here (shouldn't be an issue with faster cards, I assume).

42 + 32Mbits in 24p mode is actually indiscerinble... IMHO. Maybe shadow detail in 42Mbit is slighty better (but really hard to tell... I have to do more systematic comparisions).

All modes play back fine in camera (video and audio). I've noticed ClipWrap has issue with the audio (although I've left the settings unaltered). But the same files are fine in applications playing the MTS files natively. Neoscene has no issues with the audio. Avid MC imports the MTS files just fine.
    seta.zip
    427B
  • @towi
    use ini files, zip them and attach to message.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    >Good advisement.
    If you want really stable stuff, keep bitrate settings below 32Mbit.<<br />
    you mean bitrate 24H and bitrate FSH/SH settings below 32MBit?
  • @KevinC
    i think, it looks great
    amazing work!!!
    thanks for setting-feetback
  • @Butt

I mean any bitrate number 24H or any other mode.
    All things that are over this limit could result in internal overflow and strange behaviour (sometimes) as result.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    thank you - i have to change my settings(!)
  • @Butt
    Problems are mostly related to some software that can behave unpredictable looking at strange parameters in your clip :-)
    I am working on a fix (it is not hack bug, we need to change original code to make it work as intended).
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    OK and Thanks for the hint

here a new Setting for 1080p =<32MBit, GOP6<br />
    and GOP30, 720p B-Frames (However, stability is an issue. If you record a 1080p @ 24 FPS video first and then record 720p @ 60 FPS stability returns.)
    setg.zip
    532B
  • "@towi - use ini files, zip them and attach to message."

done
  • towi@

I will test your setting soon.

How about to return at original FW, it is possible and how ?
  • With my Transcend 16Go class 10, 60mbps GOP 3 is perfect. Much better than 42mbps. Actually, the bitrate is about 52mbps in 1080 24p. But, I can't read it with VLC.
  • @BenjaminDUPLAIX
    use MediaPlayerClassic . . .
  • Same here, no problem with Kae's last setting (60mbps Gop 3 in 24p) using Transcend 16go class 10. Footage of crowd and moving subject (subway and Paris by night) looks awsome, even at 1250 iso (!)
    Play perfectly on mpc AND VLC on my platform through (i7 Sandy B., GTX470, 16Go Ram).

Greetz fly to Vitally and all testers (scuse my french !)