Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
AVCHD: Stable settings
  • 288 Replies sorted by
  • can somebody post an A-B comparison of the standard 24p bitrate to a hacked bitrate where it really shows an improvement? :) I just cant seem to find a situation where I'm dissatisfied with the standard bitrate! :) - 24H that is.
  • With my latest settings 1080i/50 bitrate 32Mbps:
    Tested with kae "death chart" shoot over 1 hour,
    SD: SanDisk 16 GB class10 Extreme / 30mb/s.
    No motion, files are 3.99 GB auto split (4 of them , about 17-18 min each ) ...
    No crashes ...
    Will be testing same with class 6 32GB transcend ...

Edit:
    Transcend class 6 32GB, works well but it does not "auto-split" files over 4GB,
    it stops so you must push a record button again ...
    the same works OK with SanDisk class 10 16GB constant recording without break ...
    Can anyone explain this ?
    setd.zip
    377B
  • I tested Sven settings. I shot a quite busi landscape with 1/3 windy water, 1/3 windy trees, 1/3 sky
    24H had the first GOP with low bitrate giving a blocky image for ½ sek. The other modes were OK.
    I modified the settings and now the same landscape is OK for all modes 24H, 24L, FSH, FH, SH and H.
    sete StreamParser all modes.zip
  • @Tomaso

Great, this works even with my transcend class 6, 32GB continuous recording no "break" :-)
  • I apologise for naivety.

Are thes ini files mean't to be loaded, if so how?

Edit, Found it .. shift click on the alphabet letters :)
  • They are input to Vitaliy's Ptool 3.61d (plase in same folder as program).
    see: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/414/ptool-3.61d-topic
    Read all instructions before use! And scan pearlier posts.
  • @kavadni
    yes! Simply click on the letter of Ptools 3.61D
  • Shouldn't a death chart have color? A monochrome death chart will stress luma macroblock components, but not chroma ones. Perhaps having some sort of rainbow gradation (including gray) across the pattern would be better.

Chris
  • I have uploaded the 24H 10sec mts file to vimeo used in my sete tests see post above
  • Sry, I thought only the link should show up not beeing embedded.
  • @cbrandin

"Shouldn't a death chart have color?"

That's a great idea. Could you make one up maybe using the existing monochrome and adding the color? I found with the GH1 when using the monochrome star chart as a 'death' chart that it would the patches more than shooting leaves/flowers moving in a breeze.

• @feha

"does not "auto-split" files over 4GB,"

I get same problem with my 65m settings. I wish I could understand why. I'm using Dane-Elec 32GB Class 10 cards. Is anyone getting files to span on 32GB cards, if so in what mode and what kind of card?

• @swen24
    "The idea to set top/bottom values to double comes from reading in some topic here."

Actually doubling the high/low for 1080 24P was the first thing I did intuitively within 10 minutes of Vitaliy releasing the ptool so you probably read that on one of my posts. I also tried 2.2x but it seemed to break it. Were you able to go higher than a doubling of the high/lows and get a stable patch? I've only been able to go to 2x so far on all modes and still have stability.
  • @kae files seems to span fine for me in 24H 80% mode set to 36mbit/s using end user patches only. This is on a 32GB class 10 Patriot LX series SDHC card. Will test next with swen's "stable" settings from July 26 which i just loaded on this morning.
  • @arvidtp

That's good to know. God, I hope the 65M settings are breaking the cam's ability to span somehow. That would be unfortunate. I think I'll go back to stock and test for spanning to see if it's my card or the settings.
  • @arvidtp

That's good to know. God, I hope the 65M settings are breaking the cam's ability to span somehow. That would be unfortunate. I think I'll go back to stock and test for spanning to see if it's my card or the settings.

UPDATE: Spanning only breaks for me when shooting the death chart as the GH2 with 65 settings is laying down 64Mb/s with normal detailed footage at normal data rates in this mode (50-58 Mb/s) the files are spanning fine.
  • @kae
    "does not "auto-split" files over 4GB,"
    it has to do with bit rate ...
    using Tomaso settings it auto-splits right even with class 6 transcend 32GB ...
    I think that GH2 at high bit rate does "not have time" to split the file than it stops at 4GB limit ...
    Tested in 1080i/50, FSH ...
    Settings from Tomaso
  • what's this with the class 6 SD-cards - the GH2 is a cam for Class 10 => 60Mbps, and they have no problems
  • @Butt
    even class10 have problems , read @kae comments ...
    it is about auto-splitting files over 4GB ...
    I tested with both cards:
    SanDisk class 10 16GB extreme and Transcend class 6 32Gb ...
    if these settings works OK even with class 6 and it means very stable
  • no - with Pana Gold Class 10 60MBps i have no Problem!!!
    I must not read this
  • @Butt,
    sure :-)
  • Would be great to start new thread about most reliable SD cards at high bit rates ...
  • do it !!!

• Was just checking the threads for just that SD info. I just got my GH2 today and want to play :-)