Personal View site logo
AVCHD: Extreme settings
  • 278 Replies sorted by
  • @OSGondar >for me, his settings play back just fine in camera<<br />@kae >the 65mb/s playback in cam fine<<br />
    more I wanted to know not - thanks
  • @bezerk55 you said your only problem was ex-tele mode. What was the problem?
  • @bezerk55
    I'm starting to be suspicious of Transcend cards as most people having probs with the 65mb/s hack are using those cards. I know they've been reliable in the past but remember the GH1 or GH2 has not shot at this kind of data rate in AVCHD which stresses the hell out of the processor (more than MPEG mode). I'm using Dane-elec 32 GB class 10 cards ($99 each at Sammys camera L.A.) and I am not having the same probs as you guys with transcends. Also, you have to reformat before you do these stress tests. All Class 10 cards are not created equal.
  • I have been using @kae's 65Mbps setting with Sandisk Extreme 16GB Class 10. Not a single crash for 1080p24gop3 and 720p60gop6.
  • Oh boy I am going to have to get a GH2 now and get in on this game. I found the sweet spot on the GH13 was at about a 52-55 mbit setting for avchd. Above that did not produce noticeable improvement in any detail or footage and just increased freeze up chance and storage space.

What has lpowel suggested so far as optimum?
  • @kae

Don't know about lpowel but I do know that so far with vitaliy's current ptool we can't get the data rate over 65mb/s in 1080 24p, that's been stable for me at that rate but not for others. 60mb/s settings work well as do 50. 3GOP looks most filmic to me, GOP6 a lot of people like. I'm waiting for someone tech-savy to do definitive tests on what we gain or lose with the 50-60-65 data rates, if anything. What you will need is an extremely fast class 10 card, an equally fast SD-USB stick to play it on your computer (they are not created equal) and an HD monitor with all the custom NR/film deinterlace/auto-contrast/auto-everything TURNED OFF so you can really see what your footage looks like.
  • @osgondar
    ex-tele would cause the recording to stop with the card speed error, although it would write the file up to the point of the error and the camera would continue functioning without having to remove battery to reset it. i don't understand why there is card speed error only in ex-tele even though the bitrate is the same as in non-ex-tele mode. the bitrate is the same either way so it's not like it needs to write any faster to the card.

@kae
    i thought you were getting the "not spanning past 4GB" problem too? the only card speed error i get is in ex-tele mode, and i think that is more to do with a difference in the way the GH2 is processing in ex-tele and perhaps then failing with a generic "card speed error" message. other than that i have no problems :)
  • @bezerk55 i see, i have not had this problem and in fact almost exclusively been playing with my 6mm Pentax recently, interested if the hack makes this lens a worthy option. It has happened that after a few minutes that it stopped recording and nothing was written! but it has not happened since i first tested this patch out.
  • Hello I am new to all this and have been using the 5D Mk2 with the 66mbits ML hack with excellent results. Having followed the site for a while I bought a GH12 yesterday and hacked it with @butt 's first patch and thank you so much it works wonderfully well with average data rates in CS5 premiere pro of ca 5.8Mbits/s (obviously varies with what you shoot). What is essential is to knock out the GH12 picture style presets and I have been using smooth at -2 -2 -2 -2. The sandisk 30Mb/sec 16G I have is spot on for this. Testing aside, for general use Butt has it spot on for me and stable. I have read elsewhere of difficulties with editing this magnitude of data rate in CS5: I do my stuff on a quad core HP and there are no issues - except the first half a sec is rubbish and needs throwing away. Cracking hack and I recommend to anyone. Just waiting for a variable ND to arrive and I'll post on vimeo and also provide a download to a high res download. Great work everyone!
  • @JWalters
    thank for feetback
  • test of kae's hack -
  • Hi folks
    Kae's "sete" works perfectly with 1080 24p, 1080i and 720p on my camera. Some of the other settings, especially the extreme settings, made it so the camera wouldn't operate in any other mode than 24p. (sandisk 16k extreme 30mbs card).

Thanks Kae and everyone else for the valuable info! Some of the quick little tests I've done so far look nearly 3D. hmmm... has anyone tried a 3d lens with the hack?

• hi...

i tried the extreme setting, converted to h264 .mov files with Media Converter and it worked really good, just until i converted it to ProRes 422 HQ with MPEG Streamclip, and then the ProRes files were making pixel errors every 2 seconds or so. Then i put in to fcp7 and i actually worked alright until i tested out a plugin (looks) and rendered out and then i saw these awful green frames every 2 frame or so... dammit i could have cried!

Any experience with these setting and converting to ProRes422? or even better yet, any solutions?

• @Mads_Junker

I have no problem with these settings in Avid or Edius. I've attached my latest settings to this post. They'll give you the same 65mb 1080 24P settings but will also allow stable shooting in the other modes (except 1080i/50).
    KAE65M1080_24P_3GOPand42M720_1080i_12GOP.zip
    511B
  • @kae neat new settings! can you give the specifics to this file? it is worth upgrading from my current "Kae" settings?
  • From following these forums, most of the people reporting problems are using class 4 and 6 cards. I dont think Transcend is the problem, but the users instead.

Ive been shooting with Two Transcend 16gig, class 10 cards. And I've yet to run into a single problem.
    I've tested lpowel's most recent MJPEG settings and currently Kae's most recent setting just above.
    I did a test of over 10mins of trees and bushes blowing with sun rays peeking through the trees on a tripod. Not a single glitch. Bit rates steady around 57-62 at 25p 24H.
    The files span just fine, no stutter, and the bit rates stay very high. The material is perfectly usable in FCP 7.
    I havent done a log transfer. My work flow for high bit rates is -clipwrap - 5DtoRGB (ProResHD).

I cant wait to see what you guys achieve next!
  • @daihard, so you run clipwrap on all your MTS files and then process the .MOVs in 5DtoRGB? I can see one benefit already, you could use the batch script then (which doesn't support MTS as far as I know), but does this also enable you to keep the camera audio after outputting from 5DtoRGB? Cool idea.
  • Yes, the batch after running clipwrap then into 5DtoRGB retains the audio. (I use bridge to rename the ".mov" extension into caps ".MOV", then the batch will run on the clipwrap'ed files).
    On a side note.. Ive had audio sync issues in the past, but the newest 5DtoRGB seems to be processing my clipwraped files fine lately.
  • @Kae did you just apply these settings to a custom dial setting?
  • Hi,
    I have been happily using these 88Mbps 3GOP settings without any artifacts and with the average bitrate of 83618kbps.
    You need a fast card and try to format it as good as you can (with Drive wiper in CCleaner).
    Sometimes the clips will not play and you will need to turn the camera off and than back on again.
    Happy shooting!
  • since the file will not load:

[Information]
    Comment=86Mbps - 3GOP - All to detail
    SD_Card=Allenswrench Shadow detail test
    Camera=GH2 v1.0E
    [Settings]
    Version increment=2
    30min limit removal=Checked
    PAL<->NTSC Menu=Checked
    Video Bitrate 24H=85000000
    Video Bitrate 24L=35000000
    Video Bitrate FSH/SH=42000000
    Video Bitrate FH/H=35000000
    Auto Quantizer for 1080 modes=4 - All to details
    Auto Quantizer for 720 modes=0 - All to motion
    1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP Size=3

Cheers!
  • @allenswrench
    Use attachment.
    Just zip it first :-)
  • Previously I have used the 65000 bit-rate and it kept falling back to 21 or 32-ish when not challenged.
    I was filming a curtain that is very textured and was back-lit (sun so could use various shutter speeds), and now it seems to stay at the 80-ties :) The card GETS HOT!
    Glory to Vitaley!
  • It is a little bit ambiguous what you are saying as you say very textured (lots of detail) and back lit... and you where talking that now the bitrate does not fall down even on low detail scene.
  • My Stable settings at the moment.

Version increment=1

AVCHD Compression :
    24H=66000000
    24L=35000000
    FSH/SH=66000000
    FH/H=35000000
    Auto Quantizer for 1080 modes = 3 (Most to detail)
    AVCHD GOP Length = 3

Tester Patches:
    1080p24 FB1 = 2350080
    1080p24 FB2 = 2952969
    1080p24 Frame Limit = 23592960

So far the setting above looks great, i did not realize some of you were playing with 88mbs, without touching any tester patches? increasing buffer and max frame size should help with p frames i frames etc and seems especially needed for something like 88.
    setb.zip
    350B