Personal View site logo
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • @Aria Yes, GoPro Studio is pretty meaningless without the Cineform capability, and Protune 'enables' that. My newest camera doesn't get as hot as the old one. With 2K7cine 24T, the front panel only gets to 57C and not 60C (LOL). Heat would be a problem inside any redesigned casing...

But 2K7 is worth the struggle. Now if only GoPro would allow my cineform codec to handle 2K7 outside of their Studio software. My HDlink package tops out at 1920x1080. Sigh... Makes it impossible to process footage in Virtualdub without spending more on the Studio Pro package...

• That gp3 mod is by Viewfactor - radiant images just consigns it for rental.

• @bannedindv, thanks for the clarification. I just hope they eventually decide to mass produce it :) Check out this page and the images of the thing and tell it's not the cutest piece of gear that can do serious work, you've ever seen. It's so tiny!

http://www.radiantimages.com/index.php/cameras/hd-beyond/gopro/712-novo

• Manno and Pa Do Thrill Hill

Doesn't everyone love a water-slide?? All GoPro HD Hero1 in 720p60 and two drowned rats.

• @Rambo: What big arms you have Pa :) Love the ant :)

• Hi Guys!

I saw NOVO camera and i want my own GP something similar here are results

I just made my GP2 c-mount adapter.

Now i will try to find solution to block exposure settings. Any idea?

6gfrc4.jpg
    1033 x 689 - 117K
    vo7pyq.jpg
    319 x 219 - 24K
    scrs3n.jpg
    319 x 213 - 24K
    2je3gi.jpg
    319 x 221 - 23K
  • I am jealous. What excellent work! Can you give us details of how you attached the lens mount -- and where you got that mount from?

• I haven't tried this, but it looks like an interesting timelapse method.

http://cineform.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/rethinking-time-lapse.html

• I made it by myself using turning lathe and 3D printer:) Now I want to buy GP3 Black but in Poland it is very expensive:) I know that NOVO crew hack GP3 exposure settings so maybe some day someone will do it for normal users:)

• When I read about the Novo crew hacking the exposure settings with a second CPU, I assumed that there must be signalling through the connector which the LCD display plugs into to allow these exposure commands to be sent to the CPU in some kind of signalling protocol like the SPI used by Arduino. But I haven't spent any time on searching whether this has been documented anywhere. My experience with Protune is that exposure has not been a problem for me, due to Protune's compression of highs and lows.

• A simple question. Why? :)

• @Maciozaurus It looks like you have an infrared filter visible in your 3rd photo (the one without the lens). Or is this the original lens? An ND filter, perhaps? Could you please give me more info on exactly what you did in your conversion?

I see the Tamron is a 1/1.8 objective. Did you test any smaller objective lenses and see when the vignetting becomes a problem?

• @stonebat If you look at David Newman's blog you can see they have big plans for the GoPro. Wonderful time-lapse, and full documentary production with just GoPro cameras. I would not be at all surprised if there is a professional remote control/monitor accessory somewhere in the planning stages. So providing an external control signalling input seems logical to me.

http://cineform.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/rethinking-time-lapse.html also:

• Yes this is ir cut off filter:) Vignete is visible in left up corner but it is mine mistake lens isn't in center of sensor.

@stonebat -just for fun:D You know-the Bob builder factor:D But it is little and cheap camera that you can put in to a pocket and make good quality videos:)

• so you cant buy a NOVO GP3???? that would be the ultimate pocket cam

• Love the videos, Rambo :) Thanks for sharing them :) It puts everything in perspective...

• The articles are spot on, the man is a workaholic. As a longtime facebook and email friend, i finally got to meet him in his office in 2011, took me for a tour of GoPro HQ's, where i was introduced to the rest of the crew, they all share his enthusiasm. Its one of those places where everyone dreams of working, but not my style.

What is more interesting is what products GoPro has on the drawing board for the future to protect their current brand and range and also expand into other areas, money is no object, manufacturing facilities are no object with FoxConn buying a big share of the company.

Funny part in the Forbes magazine is Nick Woodman's quote about his 2nd Company (FUNBUG) failure .............

"I failed and deserved to be on f**ckedcompany.com," says Woodman.

Yes that is an actual website register for failed companies.... haha.

• @Rambo I am using my two Black Hero3 more and more. With 24p Protune, indoors only. I would really love an interchangeable lens C-Mount, but then I would need a decent monitor to focus, and I might as well just carry the FZ200 (because water resistance is not a factor for me). I just use the Blacks for B-Roll and backup footage. I love that people just ignore them, because they are so small... But last month the B-roll saved my bacon, so I see myself using them more and more. Will have to splurge on Cinema Studio Premium though, I have resisted for years, but it makes my Cineform workflow so much smoother...

• I was just playing with my WiFi app (Android) and I noticed I could select extra modes by WiFi -- modes that are not available with the camera buttons, or with the LCD backpack. The most useful for me is 1080p 24T Narrow Protune Camera Raw. I took some footage, it looks good. A bit noisier than Medium width, but not by much. Also I noted 720p 120T Narrow Protune Camera Raw as being useful and 'undocumented'.

Has anybody figured out why GoPro haven't updated their HERO 3 firmware since December, yet the Android App update has more modes in it? Strange... And annoying...

• Now that's interesting - battery life shoots up to 2hrs 4mins with this Narrow FOV rather than 1:38 (average) on the otherwise identical Medium FOV Protune settings. I had suspected that the Sony sensor chip was chewing up a lot of the power used by the Black, and this would seem to confirm that. Somehow it must be scanning less of the sensor in Narrow than Medium FOV. Anyway, this is really good news for me, as I suspect I will be using this setting a lot. Once the WiFi app has been used to make the setting, then WiFi can be switched off and the setting persists in the camera, even with a battery pull...

Oh - maximum temperature on the front fascia stayed at only 42 degrees C rather than the 50C I usually see in medium FOV 1080/24T and the 58C in 2K7 24T mode...

The Narrow FOV is about 5.5mm or 55 degrees (34mm in film equiv).. still usefully wide...

• Well, that's interesting. Selecting that 1080/24T/Narrow setting breaks the lip synch on the Hero3. Audio is about 2 seconds behind video. Hmm... Lip synch in all other modes are broken too. Setting Protune OFF from the app, then on again, gets the camera back in sync again.

Incidentally, I bought a GoPro audio input adapter, was testing it with my Rode SVM. Quite noticeable noise floor from the adapter, more than in the camera itself. No change in noise floor switching the Rode on or off. However, the Rode did sound rather nice. And the audio is stereo :) I wonder if there are any less-noisy adapters available...

• Here some example of timelapse of the Hero3 Black Edition, a little bit of lens aberration but in general very good quality.