Personal View site logo
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • I got my GP3 and did same tests. My editing machine is not newest but sits works ok for hacked GH2 or GH3 footage. However I cant get smooth playback GP3 footage in Premiere cs6. Non works smooth: raw nor cine conversion even with 1/4 quality. 1080p50 should works. quick time and other players works fine. Do you have similar issues?

• @konjow LOTS of people are having problems on other forums playing back the new GoPro formats, even in standard media players. Comes down to processing power and correct codecs. I can play up to 2.7K at any fps on my Core i7 2600K and GTX 570 with the 2011-11-11 CCCP codec pack:

http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

4K stutters for a couple seconds, then it plays back fine. Well, as fine as 12/15fps can be played back at. ;)

• Also, don't drag the files directly into Premiere/AE. At least the Protune ones (haven't used regular ones yet). The programs clip highlights and shadows. 5DtoRGB conversion keeps them intact, and makes the red look more normal, too.

• thanks @BlueBomberTurbo Im on mac cant use this codecs:). Cinefom conversion same problem with playback but only in Premiere. It in in protune.

• @konjow Ah, OK. TONS of people are having problems on Macs in every step of the workflow (even getting a Mac to see the GoPro via USB). Seems like the newest iMacs are powerful enough to handle the files, though.

• Just a heads up, the official Technicolor Cinestyle LUT does work with Protune. I use the free Magic Bullet LUT Buddy in AE to import it. Looks great! Not as contrasty and oversaturated as Cineform Studio's standard Protune setting, which I never liked to begin with. Just enough to make the image look normal.

• Cineform Studio's transcoded file never changes the original file. You can lower the contrast easily from your favorite editor. But I sure do with that the free Cineform Studio supports a curve.

• Is it normal that GP3 get hot after 30 minutes constant recording? (all settings, no case no frame). Mine gets hot....

• Yup, both mine get pretty warm. The sensor's always active, and it's probably the biggest source of heat.

• My GP3 gets REALLY hot as I am running it from external USB power most of the time when shooting (gets me 3 hours or so of constant filming). There is extra heat dissipation in the USB 'charging' circuitry. The heat doesn't seem to affect the video quality, though.

• Hi, recently i bought a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition camera with a SanDisk 32GB microSD card, and besides all the problems with the camera (freezing, not enought bus and stoping the camera, color changes in the same room/light in camraw protune filming mode, buttons doingwhattheywantanytime) suddenly it stops working and a "SD ERROR" appear in the screen so i plug it to my Mac to reformat it (the camera doesn't allow me to do that) and my Mac says it has no format and when i tryed to give a new format in only appears a 32MB (not GB) partition wich i tryed to format and doens't allow me in any case (i tryes it infinietly) so what i'm trying to do before i go to the shop where i bought the card and the camera is to completly erase all information as i use the card first to save passwords and sensitive information but as i can not access the card, how can i do this? any manual method to completly erase the card? (like magnetic o electric charges) i don't want to return the card to the store with this info inside it and i just bought it 2 weeks ago... Any ideas? Thanks.

2939af97d9b319f098d686bb75b91e.jpg
    1278 x 317 - 77K
  • Kaikerr, I left an answer in the other thread you started. I probably left it in the wrong place. Sorry, I get confused sometime...

• Can a GoPro 3 owner tell me whether the lens has an iris? Does it stop down in bright light? Or is the only way the camera adjust exposure by changing the shutter speed and ISO?

• Yep you guessed right, the camera reduces the shutter speed to compensate, you cannot lock the shutter. There is no iris in the GoPro cameras, the aperture is fixed at f2.8. In low light the cameras auto gain function will adjust the sensitivity of the sensor to keep the shutter from falling too low at the expense of a noisy image. You can attach ND filters, but that will only force the shutter speed down.

• Thanks, Rambo. I guess that's how they keep the cost down. What sort of ND filter do you need to force the shutter to around 1/60 sec in bright sunlight?

• That's a hard question to answer, as anything bright or dark dominating the FOV will affect the shutter. Best to test by putting an ND on and taking a photo ( same setting will apply to video) and checking the exif data to attain shutter speed and iso, then add or remove till your in the ballpark of your required shutter speed. At best it will add some blur or mask curved rotating objects like props into a blur and can help hide jello from HF vibrations, but is hit or miss. However once shutter is low enough to allow blur, the iso will take over and shutter will not vary as much.

Start with ND4.

• @rambo don't you work for gopro? or are you a rep of some kind? sorry if I have you confused with another person.

• Anyone else see this rehoused Go Pro Hero3 by Radiant Images?

Radiant HD3 photo Picture1_zpse9deac4a.png

Really cool way to make the Hero3 an interchangeable lens unit. It isn't a mass production product, but I hope they do decide to go that route. It allows C mount Lenses and it has a CPU to enable/disable Auto Exposure and digital Zoom checking for focus. Assignable buttons on the housing.

http://www.viewfactor.net/blog/?p=331

• @GravitateMediaGroup Rambo makes water sports videos and uses GoPro's quite a bit. He also owns the biggest and best GoPro website around. While he does have a relationship with GoPro, he isn't a rep or an employee.

• @Aria - I want one! Any lightweight gear which can shoot protune will make things much easier when I travel :) And at least I don't have to worry about the 29 minutes limitation with GoPro :) Batteries used to be a problem, but I now feed the USB +5V from another battery...

• @trevmar, yes that Radiant Images HD3 is pretty hot. I would buy that thing in a heartbeat if they ever decided to mass produce it. I'm really hoping GoPro will get into the Cinema side of things and make a unit that has an emphasis on the 2.7k or 4k side of things. Rehousing the tech they already have to make it much more robust and flexible. Perhaps this Radiant Images rehousing will stimulate them to go in that direction even faster. Clearly they see the interest in such things or else they wouldn't have done the Cineform and 2.7k stuff.