Personal View site logo
12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic lens topic
  • 492 Replies sorted by
  • Regarding the 12-35 jitter thing -- I should note that the problem does not not appear in every shot. Even at 35mm and 45 degrees angled downward (not the limiting circumstances, but the ones that make the problem easily seen), I encountered the jitter in only about 2/3 of my test shots. It's probably limited to focus distance and other factors. I tested on two lenses, and the first lens was really, really bad. I could see it at 100% every time. The second lens I had and returned was better.

Probably the quickest way to test -- if you happen to own a GH3 -- is to view the image on your camera's LCD at 10x magnified focus assist while focusing at different close subjects at 35mm.

I know some people will disagree with me, but I believe that the jitter can cause moiré in some shots.

• I have tested the Panasonic 12-35 on my Olympus E-M5, there is the jitter but at certain point of the video it stops and after the picture is perfectly still. To make the jitter more evident, I have added a pink circle, speed up the video by 800% (the original video is 10'38") and 400% scale, camera have in body stabilization and optical stabilization OFF.

• Not that I don't believe what is being said in this topic, but are these tests in anyway related to practical filming?

I use two 12-35 X lenses for wedding films and have yet to see any noticable shake, jitter, wobble, zoom glitches, unnecessary focus breathing or even major distorting at wide and tele.

This lens is a fantastic triumph, beautifully sharp and extremely versatile for a lot of people.

Of course what I have said is purely subjective and my own opinion but i would worry that these tests may put some people off the lens.

Once again, i do not dispute the fact that this lens appears to have some issues when subjected to these tests, i just wonder if these tests represent any real-world scenario. Perhaps I am just naive to the fact that people like to view an image at 400%.

• I think the problem is for long exposure photography, it means the final picture of a 2 or more seconds will be blurred, not something you would like to have from a 1000euro lens. for video probably you would see something in a perfectly still video, if there is a bit of texture or moiré. I could see the jitter from the E-M5 screen when playing the video on camera. (the reason of the 400% scale is to don't smash your nose on the screen when watching in the small youtube window ;~)

• Right for pictures.... gotcha!

Okay makes more sense, i only do videos or normal pictures.

• @jpz Damn you're right about long exposure still shots !! even worse .

Unfortunately in my case , no need to watch in 400% scale , check this my video test , all shooted on tripod , you can clearly see the jittering also at 1/1 size

I'm courious to know if is about different market stock lenses ! european ,asian , or U.S.A. if the people who have found that issue can tell where they com from ! I'm from Italy (Europe) Thx

• I live in Japan and I bought the GH3 with both 12-35mm and 35-100mm lenses last December (the camera is available here but as you know only Japanese menu). After reading about this issue I've done the same test and.. unfortunately I have the same problem. I am now uploading the videos on Vimeo, will post the links later on, but there is a clearly visible jitter with 12-35mm @35 (same result with OIS ON or OFF), whereas if I use the 35-100mm lens @35mm there is no jitter whatsoever (with OIS ON or OFF). It will be interesting to see what Panasonic is going to do now.. I plan to send my lens to them via one of their assistance centers

• I've uploaded the videos on Youtube (had some issue with Vimeo):

[12-35mm OIS OFF - jitter visible]

[35-100mm OIS OFF - jitter NOT visible]

• Guys, whoever has issues- don't hesitate to contact Panasonic service and claim, you have your warranty.

You've paid lot of money for that lens and it should work flawless. Each claim brings all of us closer to Fw update which may fix all the bugs you have to struggle with now.

• @tetakpatak I totally agree. If you have the issue, you should report it to Panasonic. I no longer own the lens, but I sent Panasonic two emails.

Relevant links (for US owners) http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/H-HS12035?support http://shop.panasonic.com/ecom/support/contact-us?t=phone

• Yesterday I took my lens to the Panasonic repair center here in Tokyo (it took me a bit to explain the whole story in Japanese) :) but eventually they said that if this is confirmed (and it is as we know) they might issue a recall for this lens. For the moment they sent it for "repair" and told me to wait a couple of weeks...

• @Nakame78 Thx .

Let us know the news about your adventure ; ) ! and feel free to share with Panasonic Japan assistence center all our evidence and videos test about it . I would say thanks to all of you and thx to Vitaliy Forum that allows us to disclose our problems

• @valpopando sure I will post some updates as soon as Panasonic calls me back.

Usually Japanese firms are very sensitive to the reactions from their customers on the Internet, I will check Japanese forums as well to see if this issue is reported there as well.

btw I'm from Italy too ;)

• I contacted Panasonic support and they told me to send the lens in to their repair center in Texas.

• @Nakame78 are You from Italy ? And how did you send the lens in Japan repair center ? I knew that European customers can relate only with european panasonic center !! this is what is written in the Global site. Anyway from Italy repair center I got three copy of lens already repleaced , and the issue still , so the only hope is about new firmware or Nakame78 Tokio's center developments

• @valpopando well the trick is simple... I'm Italian but I live in Tokyo :) I bought the camera and the lens here, so I actually had no other choice than sending it to Panasonic Japan

• If you happen to be a US owner, here's how to get started reporting the issue:

FORUM: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/H-HS12035?support

EMAIL: http://shop.panasonic.com/ecom/support/contact-us?t=email

PHONE: Product Support and Technical Assistance 1-800-211-PANA (7262) Hours Mon-Fri 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM EST Sat-Sun 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM EST

• Hello -- this is from Amin, I'm posting this on his behalf.

Anyone who is experiencing this issue, please:

-Email me: amin at mu-43 dot com

-Use subject line: Panasonic 12-35 video issue

-Indicate your name and whether you're willing to be contacted by Panasonic directly by phone and/or email about this issue.

If you're willing to be contacted, I will forward those emails to my contact at Panasonic.

-Amin

• I've already sent in my lens to the service center in Texas. I'll update the thread when I hear something.

• @v10tdi If you have the serial number of the lens, please email the information to Amin. There is a direct contact at Panasonic who is personally looking into this issue. Thanks.

• @johnmw Is this for any region of the world?

• Well, I'm glad to see this issue is getting some traction at Panasonic. I have been delaying the purchase of several of these lenses to see what panasonic's reaction will be.

• Thanks Amin, I have already been contacted by a Panasonic engineer from US thanks to you! Since I live in Tokyo and my lens is with Panasonic Japan he asked me a few questions and mentioned that he will get in touch with his peers here in Japan.

Great work, thanks again. Will post any news I have of course. By the way I haven't been contacted by Panasonic Japan yet.

• I've been contacted by Panasonic US and I sent a few additional sample videos to illustrate the problem. I can't say whether or not the issue will be resolved, but I can at least report that Panasonic Japan is able to replicate the issue, and that they are investigating. Not much we can do but sit tight and wait. Thank you Amin.

• From Amin:

"I've forwarded a bunch of emails from users all over the world to my Panasonic US contact who has either replied directly to the user or forwarded their email to the corresponding Panasonic contact in their specific country. At this point, he tells me that they don't need me to forward any more emails. They have enough information to go on, including having the lens from affected user(s) in hand to analyze. So please no more emails to me about this issue. I will update this thread and at Mu-43 if/when I have more info, which hopefully will be soon. John, if you wouldn't mind, please copy this message to the other sites so people know that I don't need to get more emails about this. Thanks in advance."