Personal View site logo
Panasonic LX7 topic
  • 320 Replies sorted by
  • At 720p there is no 30 minute limit, only on 1080p FullHD.

• I set up the C2 on the LX7 dial for 720 and the timer says 45 minutes or so. Why does it say that? I've shot for longer than 29 minutes in 720 (for my show), but I noticed the timer yesterday. I've read where there is not a limit on 720 AVCHD. Is that correct? In MP4, the limit is 29 minutes even in 720 according to the timer on the display.

I did a quick green screen test with the LX7 and it was okay. I shot in AVCHD and cut it very quickly. I did not light the green screen like I would on a professional commercial shoot. I may try it on a commercial, if I get a job soon, but only as a test not as the key camera or anything.

Here it is for you guys criticism (it is awful green screen work keep in mind):

• @DailyFilmFix "Key moving forward is to get a hack that removes the 29 minute time limit"

Yes this is what is screwing me up too. I have to carry the FZ200 for longer shoots, and the LX5 for less-intimidating shooting. It is a pain...

• Thanks for watching! I wish I had time to lock focus. I've shot two or three of these and just can't get a feeling for where to put all the cameras in such a small space. The LX7 settings produced a creamier looking image than the GH1s, I think.

In fourth quarter last year, I shot 40 interviews on my latest documentary, Three Days at Foster, with the HMC150 and the two GH1s. It was a fire drill because we shot in four states over two months or so. Used the reliability hack because I had to be sure that the camera would not stall out (average interview time was 45 minutes or so). We had 1TB of footage archived in compressed form! But this weekend, I toyed around with the BP hack and I may try that out for my next documentary we're hoping to lens here in Georgia starting next month. We Kickstatered Foster with great results, by the way.

If the LX7 could be hacked to give me 1080p for longer than 29 minutes, I would use it as a fourth cam for a behind the scenes wide. The TV show is going to stay 720 in order to use the LX7 and it seems to be less intensive on my iMac to edit (not scientific mind you, but my personal experience).

Thanks again, and I hope to have a few bucks next month to contribute again to the camera hacking cause.

• @dailyfilmfix - no need to answer, just saw your notes on Vimeo

• @dailyfilmfix - looks great! What are the other cameras being used?

• I've been using the LX7 on my little local TV show. I shoot it with 4 cameras. It is really just for fun but helps keep my editing skills sharp (4 camera multicam with a 5th audio track from the radio station). Since shooting this, I have changed my settings and I think I'm getting better video.

• Another indoor LX7 video: two landmark places in Palm Beach.

Stained glass windows and candles in a dim church and a popular pharmacy hang out.

Select 1080p.

• Thanks for all your hard work with the GH1. Given the hacks, my two little cams are hard to give up for my professional work (really want the GH3, but the GH1s are excellent). As for the LX7, I lucked into one on Black Friday for a song. Below is a little video I shot one Sunday morning while making breakfast. It was cut in FCPX (which has gotten better) with minimal CC. But after reading this posting thread, I think I can get more out of this cam. Key moving forward is to get a hack that removes the 29 minute time limit.

• Flying in the dark is always difficult and especially in the auto settings. But the LX7 works well ;-) But having more options in the High speed would hopefully make that usable (in the video I use 100frames and it gets grainy compared to the normal AVCHD 50p or MP4).

• Both. It is limited in many ways

• How is the 120fps mode on the LX7 limited? Shutter? Iris? Both??

• Would be fantastic to get a better timelapse function! Now I need to have a timer set and go back every hour to reset. And off course that means I might touch the camera position :( Having fun with camera. Great night shots and video. A small donation sent for now example:

Also for semipro work in my area flying helicopters it is great (I am not pro..) http://vimeo.com/jojoen/filefjell

• @markr041 thank you for your explanation. have a nice day!

• There are three tweaks for this mode, requiring two buttons/dials:

1. You push the upper right dial and you get two options:

A. EV adjustment (exposure compensation).

B. Saturation. If you move this all the way to the left you get normal saturation, so the video in this mode will look like regular video.

1. You push the left button and you get the option for the size of the focus area. By moving the upper-right dail you can change this. If you enlarge the area to the maximum, most of the frame will be in focus and it will look like normal video.

If you enlarge the focus area and de-saturate you will get a 1/10th time-lapse video in full 108060p, 28Mbps that will match the rest of the video.

Here is an LX7 video that begins with the time-lapse:

• @markr041 How can I tweak 'miniature mode'? Can you tell me more detail about that?

• Another video, indoors. Also makes use in one scene of built-in time-lapse (disguised as 'miniature mode', but you can tweak it so that you get rid of the pumped-up saturation and small focus area) which gives fast motion at full 108060p:

• I used my DIY steadicam with the LX7, OIS really help alot !!

• I would settle for standard 1080p60 with no 29 minute length limitation :) :)

• So how is the hack for the LX7 coming along ? I'm planning to buy one in the very near future.

Ciao

• I got LX7 for my bro. Then another one for father-in-law. Then he likes Fuji X10 more. So we are going to swap. Yeah LX7 for me!!! Woohoo~!

1080p60 56Mbps (hacked) would be great.

• 3D image quality from the LX7 compares very favorably with the quality of the 3D images produced by the dedicated 3D Fuji camera

By idea it must be so, as it has much better lens and sensor. Fuji 3D camera must have been long ago updated to modern specification with adjustable interaxial distance. But managers have huge trouble with 3D, for them it is much harder than megapixel count, or features list length.

• Yes, that worked. Downloaded freeware and simply opened/saved a test MPO file from the LX7 and it now loads fine on the Sharp 3D TV. PITA, but at least it works.

FWIW - to my unpracticed eye, the 3D image quality from the LX7 compares very favorably with the quality of the 3D images produced by the dedicated 3D Fuji camera. The Fuji camera is easier to use, but the LX7 can do a better job with static subject.

• I suggest you to check various MPO editing software, sometimes it is enough to load image and resave it.

• Anyone tried using the LX7 3D image capability? It seems to work pretty well, except that my Sharp 3D TV will not read the MPO files (3D) produced by the LX7. The Sharp 3D TV will read the MPO files produced by another camera (Fuji), just fine. And the Sharp 3D TV will only display 3D images from the LX7 using the HDMI connection from the LX7.

I'm curious if the LX7 MPO images might be directly viewable on another brand/model of 3D HDTV?