Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic LX7 topic
  • 320 Replies sorted by
  • I don't understand the "conformed to 24p". I assumed these were frame grabs from the original videos. If you "conformed" the LX7 video from 50p to 24p, does that mean you transcoded the LX7 video (recompression) and then took the frame grab? If so, then recompression would lower the quality. You did not in your original post say anything about frame rates, nor about "conforming". I am just trying to understand what you did.

• Just my way of saying I dropped the 50p video on a 24p timeline in Sony Vegas, then disabled resample on that clip. There was no re-rendering done on any clip. These are direct saved images off the Sony Vegas Pro 12 timeline.

• Some still frames from a music video I filmed yesterday with the LX7. All untouched, straight out of the camera. I shot in black and white to save editing times in post.

Will post the finished video once it's done.

EDIT: Here's the video.

vlcsnap-2013-04-12-10h58m11s35.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    vlcsnap-2013-04-11-16h13m42s95.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    vlcsnap-2013-04-12-10h59m34s99.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • Nice voice. Nice editing.

Harold

• Thanks ragnar/Harold!

also, here's a clip I shot last night with the LX7 and the GH2. Shouldn't be hard to tell which one is the LX7... but I don't see much (if any) difference in the video quality. Continuously impressed with this little camera!

• Daniel - really nice use of the LX7. I'm using it as my C-Cam now.

• I believe it makes an awesome B camera for sure! Definitely glad I bought it over a GoPro!

• Here is a short 4min video I put together using the Panasonic Lumix LX7's HS(High Speed)Mode. It shoots in 720p at 120fps. All shooting parameters are set to auto when in this mode so it's just point and press record. I'm happy with the results. I suspect that these high frame rates will just get better with each LX series release.

• That looks pretty awesome ragnar. I may be alone in this request (and it's probably impossible, but worth asking anway)... but unlocking the HS mode's idiot-mode-only limitation would be a godsend for all of us. Getting a higher bitrate during this mode as well would be great, but that's not necessary.

• Thanks, Daniel. As for the LX7 hack, we'll have to wait for a firmware update and then see if Vitaliy can work his magic from there. I know he hasn't promised anything in this area but we can still keep our fingers crossed, as they say.

Harold

• Yeah, the key for me for documentary work is to be able to shoot for longer than 29 minutes in 1080p. I know I'm a broken record, but I'm excited that the little camera is being used to produce high quality (dare I say "professional") results already.

• @DailyFilmFix me too. I had to buy an FZ200 to get decent recording length, and it is not as pocketable as the LX7 - and is hard to keep in my pocket :) I am starting to carry one of my GoPro Blacks in my pocket now... but they have no zoom lens :(

• Can you check if the FZ200 have video out/and hdmi out while recording video? The LX7 stops for preview while taking photos and does not show anything while taking movie. Very important for me since I fly multicopters for video and photos

• @jojoen I plugged the HDMI cable into my FZ200 and verified there is only HDMI output during playback. Nothing during record, or preparation for record.

• @trevmar on the LX7 one had to push the delete button a while to start the output of AV video. can you try that? Huge thanks fr testing ;)

• One thing happen and needs to be thought about when buying more of these LX7's. Swapping SD cards while taking AVCHD video is not possible. Not a big deal just beware

I bought a second LX7 and since my first one was PAL I bought a NTSC to be able to take advantage of the 120fps instead of 100fps high speed but also easier conversion for some customers that wants other formats. My PAL camera takes 25, 50 and 100fps (shows as 25fps when played or imported in sonyvegas) while my new NTSC camera takes 29,97, 59,94 and 120fps (shows as 29,97fps when played or imported in sonyvegas). All this fine. But when I swap cards and try to record in AVCHD I get: "Cannot record due to incompatible format(NTSC/PAL) data on this card". So if you have AVCHD files on a card you want to keep swapping into another camera it might get you into a problem. Recording MP4 instead is not a problem.

• The FZ200 has different control knobs. I couldn't find anything to switch on the HDMI output.

• @jojoen

I actually bought the PAL version of the LX7 and have been mixing it in with my NTSC GHx cameras for about the last two weeks. I've had the problem you talk about, regarding swapping cards between cameras... but for the most part it's been smooth sailing. I keep one card for each camera, and I rarely (yet) have filled the card with 4 hours worth of footage (I use 32gb Sandisk Extremes... overkill for this camera, but can be used with my GH2/GH1's just fine).

If you can, number your cards and keep one specifically for each camera.

Although we're still waiting on firmware updates in order to see a hack for the camera, if it happens... a region switch is something I would most definitely welcome. The GH1 and GH2 have it kinda available... hopefully we can see something similer with the LX7.

• Last week I experimented a lot with the HS mode. Here are some examples:

• When carrying LX7, I don't wanna carry any other camera gear. This bag seems to fit the bill. It would fit GF1 20mm 1.7, too.

http://www.geographicbags.us/pouch-medium-for-mirrorless-camera-or-point-and-shoot-camera

image image image image

• (damn the lx7 price is around 419 euros here in France... )

• Could someone make a video showing exactly how the lx7 manual controls are crippled during high speed 100/120 fps video mode? The camera goes to full auto using this mode? WB, focus, shutter, iris, zoom, etc? Are all of these settings automatic?

• @eyeBOX: shutter, iris, ISO: auto; WB, Photo style+sub options can be set; AF,MF,zoom can be set before starting a video. -- I made a lot of videos in HS and M mode: sports/concerts, also together with the Pana X909.

• Hi all,

Have been following this thread for a while and just got the LX7 as I sold my LX5. Am still hoping Panasonic release the firmware for Vitaliy to work his magic on what is already a very capable camera.

A quick video exploring the manual video capabilities of the LX7. All hand held

Am also planning on using it for an upcoming documentary shoot for some of the footage.