Personal View site logo
RED EPIC DRAGON [finally a reality]
  • 85 Replies sorted by
  • Isn´t the f55 supposed to have the same color gamut as the f65? Seems like a darling rental a year from now.. Relatively small, great high speed options.. global shutter.

Until the Dragon is in a camera, working, it´s only a tell tale.

Looking forward to these new options – I can´t stand the alexa look any more.. (And then I´m not talking about footage that actually is graded/colored properly).

• @driftwood Well, it's more like 18+ stops of dynamic range, really.

I'm waiting to see some real images from the dragon sensor before I join the hype. Right now the F65 is really blowing me away with its color gamut. Will be interesting to see how the dragon's colors stack up to that.

• @Shian we shot some stuff out near Joshua Tree (It's the footage of the girl in the western looking town that is now part of the Davinci 9 manual) it was really a treat and a half to grade. I, like you am also horrified by most of the stuff that I see online shot with it (it's almost like a conspiracy theory). I think in the hands of somebody such as yourself you would find it in a league that you didn't even know existed. I am also grading full its full raw 4k in real time on Davinci (though the system I am using is pretty wacked out).

• Well color me impressed.

• @bueller I may have to go down to Division and test one. I haven't seen anything out of it yet that impresses me, but it could just be the person(s) and their subsequent settings and decisions with it that are lacking.

• I know that it's not an everyday realistic kind of camera, but I have found that grading the Sony F65 to be the closest thing to if not surpassing film. It's 8K sensor and F65 gamut really do work exceedingly well. I don't understand why more people are not using it yet. I know this is from their marketing site but in my visual opinion and testing it appears to be pretty close.

Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 6.56.18 PM.png
    976 x 506 - 215K
  • That's for sure!

• A base Epic is, $19,000 now so likely $30,000-$35,000 for the Dragon. Which means battle tested Scarlet will likely be available for a discount with all the trade-ins that will happen. Always an upside. :)

• Let's say that I'm not a current Red owner, What is the supposed cost of an Epic- Dragon brain?

• Looks like 20 stops of DR then for Dragon and goodbye Scarlet upgrades to the new sensor as it needs serious power. :-(

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?92158-Enter-the-Dragon

To put this into perspective, the Arri Alexa and current Red Epic resolve around 13.5 - 14 stops, the Sony F65 has 14 stops, the GH3 resolves, at best, 10 stops.

• Lincoln Lawyer and The Social Network were both very good looking. Those two along with Prometheus offer a nice variation in final looks. I liked the look of The Walking Dead on the BD release but thought it was quite flat looking as broadcast. At the other extreme, for RED, I really liked the look of Southland.

• Valhalla Rising was supreme on Red. As @shian pointed out, its a matter of putting skin tones first. I'm very preferential to the look of Arri stuff but when it comes down to it, a colorist can really break the whole thing. Hell On Wheels' skintones are nauseating.

• I wouldn't rate anything on @MarkV list very high visually. Prometheus was decent with the way it looked. But my favourite film this year was Moonrise Kingdom, and my favourite tv series was Walking Dead's third season. What piece of technology did both of these productions use? You guessed it, they used 16 mm film. Anybody know anything visually great shot on a Red? Only thing that comes to my mind is Antichrist by Lars Von Trier and that was some years ago.

• I think it's worth emphasizing that if Red does put out a camera that is consistent with the test chart earlier in the thread, then it will greatly exceed the dynamic range of moving picture camera commercially available (or announced) so far.

That makes it of very great interest to me.

• Even Michael Bay, the biggest "I hate digital" guy out there shot his latest film on the Epic.

• The Great Gatsby, The Hobbit, The Social Network, Flight, The Amazing Spiderman, Prometheus, Pirates of Caribbean, Contagion, Magic Mike, The Lincoln Lawyer, Knowing, Angels and Deamons, Jumper... to name a few...

• Innocent question - anyone know what "popular" or "classic" films been entirely shot on Red so far ? Not an incendiary question just fascinated ...

• @robmneilson Thanks, man. It was a dolly shot so she is slightly out of focus at that second. I don't know why they chose that particular frame except that there's no spoilers in it. There were better frames from that shot to use. At full rez, when she's in focus, its pretty spectacular. We didn't use the most expensive glass on earth. We shot Zeiss Super Speeds - the lower contrast of the lenses really lends themselves to the RED image, this was an 18mm. We pushed the Panther dolly almost right up into her.

• @shian that frame grab look great. Goes to show you it's not all in the camera, lighting and lens go a long long way.

• Didn't I read on nofilmschool that the upgrade price will be closer to the $10k range? No dragon for Scarlet X, too.

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/01/red-dragon-first-image-scarlet-upgrade-path/

It does sound like Red is getting closer to what I want in a cinema cam.

• The technology is still evolving. Every signle day. They are late (again) because they decided to step up the game even more.. they found a way to make it even better and executed it right away.. they know what are they doing, yes they will be late by couple months but technology-wise a year ahead of competition..

• I find it both funny and ridiculous that Red's crowning achievement for the year of the Dragon was a still frame extraction, when they were supposed to be shipping upgraded cameras for $6K by now...

Oh well, even after all the misses they tend to deliver something decent ahead of everyone else at a competitive pricepoint ...

• I wish I could share the proof of concept footage from "Growl" with you guys. The things Sxully and I did with the M-X were really awesome. But other than the 3 or 4 stills that were released, I'm under strict orders to keep it under wraps, here's a link to a still grab that was straight out of the camera - interpreted "as shot"

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/26822/screamfest-11-singularity-short-to-screen-before-stormhouse

It's the image of Katee Sackhoff at the bottom, and it's not remotely full rez. Just what was compressed into the PDF of the press release.

• Interesting. Would it be possible to post any examples?

• Well, my solution only really works for the stuff I normally shoot. I don't normally get asked to shoot flat boring "friendly" stuff. Most of the time I get hired to shoot odd, gritty, dark stylish stuff, and I always WB for somewhere between 3800-4800K, and then light and gel accordingly. It drives colorists nuts, but if you bring it in "as shot" it yields some interesting results.