Personal View site logo
GH2 Digital Sharpening removable with hack?
  • 134 Replies sorted by
  • yes I hate these auto things...
  • Oh yes, I'm with you. Was merely pointing out what we can do until we have a hack solution ;-)
    If possible, that is... I read people say it's just the nature of the sensor itself, let's hope that's not true -.-
  • yes starstuff but my desire is to turn off artificial sharpening filter, I shoot landscapes, f8/f11 and lower iso as possible. Prime lenses at wide apertures are always softer, no matter what body you're using. Same for high iso. Open apertures are softer in a different way than the diffusor because of limited depth of field, while the diffuser diffuses the global light, similar but different effect.
  • Have read a lot on this but only now found this thread. Keyphrase is "edge sharpness".

Tips I've collected from all over the place to help soften the edges in your videos:

- Prime lenses, shoot wide open
    - Diffusion filter, Tiffen...Schneider...
    - higher ISO, some suggest between 400 and 800 (cannot confirm this yet but apparently the edges result to be softer?)
    - lower the in-camera sharpness and contrast to the lowest setting possible

I only own a few "cheaper" lenses but using my old 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor so far seems to produce a much more softened skin/look compared to the kit lenses that come with the GH2. Have tried a diffusion filter too but I'm not yet too sure if it's any different than adding diffusion in post.

I hear the Voigtländer f/0.95 gives the softest look so far whilst remaining an overall image clarity and sharpness, can't comment on this myself.
  • any news? thanks
  • @Ptchaw
    "I have a suspicion the additional sharpening with M4/3 lenses @stonebat reports is to compensate for the effect of distortion correction on the image. "

Ptchaw, yes please post images with the contacts taped and not taped. This should be interesting.
    If you can, post images of the kit lens at its widest with tape on and off.

• @Oedipax Only did a quick test, will get some shots up tomorrow :) I have a suspicion the additional sharpening with M4/3 lenses @stonebat reports is to compensate for the effect of distortion correction on the image.
  • @Ptchaw, would love to see some before/after comparisons of the distortion correction on m4/3 lenses.
  • @proaudio4 Masking tape worked fine. The contacts are pretty thick and have springs behind them, so the extra thickness won't matter.

@Stonebat Just tried it now. The distortion correction is very noticeable, not sure about the sharpening. I only have one M4/3 lens (the kit one), which I never use. All the others are legacy cine/35mm lenses; focus by wire is the devil!
  • @Ptchaw Good luck with that. For those who hate the digital sharpening, better to use proven MF lenses. This had been discussed numerous times in some other forums. High bitrate hack boosts images from SLR lenses. Sometimes color grading helps little.

Don't get me wrong. I like m43 zooms. Fast moving scene would mitigate the digital sharpening to some extent. Set it to AF-C and good to go.
  • Except, I would not use tape. You may fu*k up the contacts or cause another issue.
  • @stonebat A definitive way to check that would be to tape over the lens' contacts and do a direct comparison to see if the is a sharpness difference. Would also be interesting to see if the distortion correction is visible. Will try it later...
  • @stefanos +1.

-2 is fine with me when I use old legacy lenses. But m43 lenses gives aliasing even at -2 "sometimes". As stefanos said before, it really depends. Then I use a diffusion filter. I guess the body recognizes Lumix m43 lenses and applies some sort of sharpening. If artificial sharpness is a showstopper, use non-m43 lens.
  • Thank you!
    Also, I agree with you stefanos. The ideal priority would first be bitrate improvements, HDMI, then other improvements.
  • @proaudio4

I don't know.
    I started looking at film modes stuff this weekend.
  • @proaudio4
    there's no final word yet as it hasn't been investigated yet since it' s 2nd priority along with HDMI after the encoder is reached at satisfactory level. If we want to talk probability, then it's most probably possible.
  • Have we heard the final word. Is it possible to turn off all added "sharpness" enhancement in the GH2?
  • Not unless you want to kill detail.
  • +NR settings generally render less sharp, until now most posters recommend turning NR to -2 could turning it up help with this sharpness issue?
  • Same here, I'd like to turn sharpening completely off.
  • yup I know that thanks, but I'm asking about sharpness anyway
  • @robbie75vr I.resolution and I.dynamic both have an off mode.
  • exactly.. all those "filters" are not improving anything in my opinion.. they (Pana) should give to users the options to turn all of them off. I hope Saint Vitaliy will implement this option soon
  • which is an unsharp masking equivalent...
  • no no, I meant Intelligent Resolution