Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • @snvid

Seems like specs from someone who really never touched camera with bunch of affiliate shit added instead of any review.

• Has anybody seen this review yet? _eduardoangel.com/2014/02/07/4k-video-under-2k-panasonic-gh4/ you can also follow him on twitter, he still has a GH4 to play with.

• @Rambo

Yep. Also remember that all Japanese companies have only one goal now - profitability. They are ok to reduce volume, reduce sales. But sale more premium stuff with very high margins. Hence all constructive and feature sets.

Also, camera market is very similar to Earth atmosphere. It becomes sparse with price increases, and quite fast.

• I think externally connected and recorded audio on a separate recorder/preamp is still the best solution for most people. Why invest a few grand in a huge brick that is limited to just that camera.

• If I use a DSLR and let's say a Tascam DR-100 for audio, they cannot sync together with a master clock. Audio products without a time-code master clock tend to drift. If I'm recording a live concert or something else that needs long takes, there can be problems.

OK, let's go again. Usage of time codes with such cameras is limited at all. People who use GH4 won't have video mixer, most won't have any recorder that can use this signals. Most won't even connect recorder, frequently it is just not so safe and easy thing to do outside special studio. So, check above for my comment about real sceneries.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

My point was that the GH4 doesn't have master time-code syncing without the DMW-YAGH attachment. If you want to use a separate and higher quality audio recorder (that also has time-code) than what's in the camera, then you need that brick. With time code you keep audio and video in perfect sync for as long as you want to shoot. It's like the audio recorder's sound track and camera's video track are now one. Post processing is simple and no-fuss: Great video with 24 bit pro-audio in perfect sync.

Film cameras have to have time-code genlock with on-set field recorders. It works the same way with pro video. If I use a DSLR and let's say a Tascam DR-100 for audio, they cannot sync together with a master clock. Audio products without a time-code master clock tend to drift. If I'm recording a live concert or something else that needs long takes, there can be problems.

You have to master/slave time-code devices and without that time-code output, you're screwed. The GH4, according to Panasonic's press releases, needs the attachment for time-code syncing. They chose to leave a time code connector off the body of the camera, which is a feature on most pro-sumer and professional video cameras.

• For sensor it's clear that the sensor used by em1 is the same you linked. Of course no clue that Pana used it on GH4.

I think you messed up here, as I was talking about article statement and provided link to 4K sensor that author states is in GH4 (using his fantasy mostly).

• One of the big issues of DSLR film making, as I'm sure you're aware, is synced sound. Without time-code enabled devices (cameras, audio recorder, etc.) you're back to un-synced dual audio recording. It's an absolute pain in the butt and even Pluraleyes doesn't always work with sync drift.

I also fail to understand point, as whole point of JL or this attachment is to not have dual audio, at least for two channels.

I also do not think it is any issue for small filmmakers. Sync works very good, if it does not work just small skill and few attempts and you learn how to adjust audio.

Guys who use many cameras in studio usually use also external recorder or mixer so all audio is in one place. DR680 is cheap, really. If this cameras are dynamic and unconnected, well, timecodes won't save you here.

• @vitaliy_kiselev ok for crop calculation which I skipped. For sensor it's clear that the sensor used by em1 is the same you linked. Of course no clue that Pana used it on GH4.

nevertheless I think that is a fair summary of what's happened/happening

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Is there a time code genlock connector on the GH4 body itself? Otherwise, you actually do need to buy this accessory... even if you use a JuicedLink as a pre-amp, or bought an aftermarket HDMI to SDI converter. One of the big issues of DSLR film making, as I'm sure you're aware, is synced sound. Without time-code enabled devices (cameras, audio recorder, etc.) you're back to un-synced dual audio recording. It's an absolute pain in the butt and even Pluraleyes doesn't always work with sync drift.

We're back to a Franken-rig full of add-on devices rather than a nice, stream-lined package that fits together like a glove. Panasonic should have thought this through better. That is, unless they didn't want to sabotage their pro video camera division. :)

• @LongJohnSilver

It has some unproven facts, like sensor used (we discussed it in topic below), like 1080p frame rate does not match.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/8745/new-m43-panasonic-sensor-with-4k-support-mn34230pl/p1

Crop factor calculations are just completely fucked up, using diagonal pixels and comparing all possible modes.

• Waiting for the mighty Driftwood's hands-on. Don't really care about all this other stuff until we hear a report from Nick.

• One of the problems, and yes it's a problem, with their add-on audio/video "brick" is the ergonomics. It really looks hideous and makes the camera chunky and unwieldy, even on a rig. If they had smoothed out its lines, stream-lined it to match the GH4's body, and also made it weather resistant and more like a battery grip then it might have been something. As is, it smacks of "kludged together after-thought."

How about just buy small JuicedLink?

Since Panasonic knows you HAVE to buy their accessory for XLR audio, 4k SDI video, time-code, etc. they have no incentive to make the add-on cost to consumers be more reasonable

And it is not true, you do not to have to buy anything. It is just XLR preamp, and HDMI to SDI converter. Mostly made for people who need reliable connectors and all in one solution.

• After 19 pages :) I think this article makes a good summary of the GH4 launch, info we have right now and some consideration.

http://m43photo.blogspot.it/2014/02/gh4-game-changer.html

• One of the problems, and yes it's a problem, with their add-on audio/video "brick" is the ergonomics. It really looks hideous and makes the camera chunky and unwieldy, even on a rig. If they had smoothed out its lines, stream-lined it to match the GH4's body, and also made it weather resistant and more like a battery grip then it might have been something. As is, it smacks of "kludged together after-thought."

Since Panasonic knows you HAVE to buy their accessory for XLR audio, 4k SDI video, time-code, etc. they have no incentive to make the add-on cost to consumers be more reasonable. The audio pre-amp circuitry is probably not pro-grade, but they'll more than likely price it as such. You're a captive audience and that's never a good thing.

If they had priced the GH4 body and a better designed add-on device as a $2,000 pro kit package, they'd give Sony and others a run for their money. You know they could do this since this stuff is built in low pay sweat shops in China and relative build costs are negligible.

• I'm hoping the DR will be very nice though! I want to buy a lens adapter so I can still use my Canon lenses. Anyone has some experience with that?

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/9086/rj-lens-turbo-m43-adapters#Item_212

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5770/metabones-lens-speed-booster-adapter-focal-reducer#Item_704

I am sorry, but this topics are also long :-)

• I've tried to read (and follow) all 19 pages about this new camera, and I have to say, I'm not that technical like you all are but it's an interesting read though :) I am a longtime Canon user, still filming all my projects with an oldie: the 5D MII and a 7D. This is actually the first time I'm looking forward to a new camera. Only decision I have to make is which camera I will sell to buy this GH4. I'm hoping the DR will be very nice though! I want to buy a lens adapter so I can still use my Canon lenses. Anyone has some experience with that?

• Hey guys there is a live talk in NYC about the GH4 here is the link:

• @mrbill the reason why I'm very interested in the GH4 is the fact that it has 96fps 10bit 422 @ 1080p which is lovely, and I also love the G series look. Don't get me wrong the Pocket Cinema Camera is a winner, but only 30fps that's it's only limitation.

• @thorn - 10-bit 4:2:2 was what i was hoping for out of the box. The pocket camera now looks a lot more attractive.

• I wasn't aware of another camera that uses SD internally for 10/4:2:2... so, I'll not criticize Panasonic if they too have decided it's an unrealistic data-bottleneck situation and instead require off-camera storage.

In my workflow, 10bit, and 4:2:2 are content specs - not delivery specs. I'm not planning on a client attempting to play such files on their laptop with WMP... it's about flexibility in the edit, not the final delivery.

As to the cost - the hyperdeck w/media is around $550. The breakbox box cost isn't released yet, of course. But let's assume $1000-1500. Is ~$2,000 not an affordable option for 1080 10bit 4:2:2 ?

• Agreed @manstok without global shutter especially no amount of stabilisation will clean up rolling shutter. And as you say, motion blur starts to ruin everything on jittery footage, more so at 24p.

• @ mpgxsvcd

Surprised that more people are not talking about the potential to do post processing stabilization with the 4K footage. With that much extra resolution you could do very affective software stabilization and still have nice 1080p or perhaps even 2.8K stabilized video. <

Post stabilization becomes useless once you have a few frames of motion blur, and you'll have that pretty fast..

• Maybe a little bit OT but not too much :)

http://chipworks.force.com/catalog/ProductDetails?sku=OLY-E-M1_Pri-Camera

E-M1 uses a Panasonic sensor not Sony.

After all speculation on GH3 sensor being Sony maybe GH4 has really a Pana sensor.