Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
It's Official: Firmware Update for DMC-GH2 / G3 / GF3 / GF2 coming
  • 372 Replies sorted by
  • yep - bring on the 25p!
  • just give me the bloody 25P!
  • I'd take the right. Guess S-Log and 25 FPS are realistic.
  • There's not gonna be 4:2:2 and 10-bit, come on guys... I know it's nice to dream but you'll just get disappointed. If this happens I'll eat my left shoe!
  • I would pay panasonic for 4:2:2 Log C patch... like a lot of money
  • I shoot in 80% mode all the time - it's totally reliable and is actually proper 29.97fps - i've timed it out in comparison to the clock of an audio recorder I trust by slating a long shot beginning and end.

You just don't get sound and you have to conform the frame rate. I conform it when transcoding, so no extra step is required, but still not ideal. No sound to use for syncing is the big issue, and of course, no sound if you just want quick and dirty sound from the camera's mics. But for anything that "quick and dirty" I'd probably just shoot at 720p anyway.
  • @sam_stickland
    yeah.. can't really understand why anyone would want to use 60hz lights. ;)

Though, one can use 80% mode.. Although obviously, it's not as reliable as native 30p - but it should save a shot which you cannot do in 24p. In NTSC land.

I guess my main issue with the lack of 25p is that GH1 has it and the GH2 doesn't. It's not too different to 24p in terms of bitrate. It's a crippling factor with the GH2 right now. No doubt it can be a crippling factor with the lack of native 30p but for 30p you'd need 20% higher bitrate to get similar quality.
  • @RRRR But the same problem exists in NTSC land with 24p surely? 24p isn't a multiple of 60Hz either ;)
  • 24p is only usable in very certain conditions in PAL-land. You only need one light source with the wrong HZ and everything go wobbly, wobbly.. (It doesn't matter that you set shutter to 50 - the odd frame "missing" causes irrepairable flicker. We're stuck with 1080i or 720p50 for such situations - which is a damn shame because the GH2 is clearly capable of better results than that.
    So those who think it's not useful - you clearly do not live in europe. 1080p50 would be a good option to have, but it would not replace the need for 1080p25.
  • Why would they be so unspecific about the GH2 firmware for 24mb other than the fact they have not yet been able to fully test or make it work for 25p? everything else about the mp4 is valid too but to be particularly vague surely means they are doing their best to make 25p work, or 50p work? 50p at 24mb wont be good though? how about 48p and 50p. Their vagueness is very weird though?
  • @Tomaso
    1080p50 would be better, and you can always skipframe and have a perfect 25p. And if you can have 50p is much more simple to vitaliy to hack the 25p
  • 50p is worse than 25p, considering storage.
  • @mpgxsvcd
    1080 @ 50 fps is not bad. But for all of us that would be able to produce for broadcast on TV in Europe 25P 1080 or 720 is kind of a must.Well 24p can be transormed to 25p but.....
  • @ arvidtp and Tomaso,
    Meanwhile, thanks, I had not noticed 3.63d. Vitaliy, you're such a great man.

I'm sorry, I explained badly, for my terrible English.
    I try again, my curiosity was referring to the new firmware panasonic annunced... I was wondering if Vitaliy and all of you have to start all over again to be able to improve it?

salùt!
  • @OTCX

Maybe Santa will bring 1080p @ 50 FPS instead? Funny thing is that people would still complain that it is not 25p. You can never make every happy. Therefore, they should just make the people who spend the most money happy.
  • Maybe Santa Claus is a true and bring us 25p
  • @DLG
    You can find good ini files for different types of patches here:
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/953/gh2-patch-vault-most-popular-patches-in-one-place/p1

Read about the differpatches and look for something for your needs.

I myself is using @cbrandin 44/32 patch. You can find it in this package:
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/21678#Comment_21678
  • @DLG
    You can find Ptoool used to hack an official fimware here:
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1375/ptool-v3.63d-topic/p1

as well as references to what you need and instructions.
  • @hslhsl
    hello ... well come! :)

hi to everyone,
    I am another one of the dreamers: 25p, 50p, 10bit, 4:2:2 for me it's enough ... or better still, also pizza, beer and coffee... sorry i'm italian ;)

but coming to the big question (but it's only a curiosity): I do not know exactly how work a hack, maybe there is a post where you explain it (and I'd like to know it), but with the future upgrade, will be possible to continue to load the patch or have you to work on it?

thanks to all for the excellent work done until now.

• Hello,
    news from Pana: GH2 Firmware V1.1 will be released in December:
    http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/info/update_gh2.html
  • @stonebat
    Never stop dreaming!!!!
    My dreams include 24p, 25p, 30p, 50p 60p, 10 bit, 4:2:2... Come on!!!
    But 1080 25p with at very good quality is the dream that comes first:-)
    AVCHD or mp4 (H.264) as long as VK can improve it.
  • First I thought they made it possible to change ETC while recording, but i think i misunderstood.. :(
  • Let it be 25p for gods sake! :D

I've found the GH2 amazing little camera but unfortunately it's not having a place in the projects we do just because of the lack of 25p. It's like colleagues laughing at it because they consider it a playground camera. "No 25p1080?!, don't bring it then". It's a fact which should change and GH2 deserves it.
    Anyway, it's going to be interesting 3 weeks with the speculations and theories. ;)

My side of view, one of the great improvements in the new firmware will be:
    • ON/OFF control of the touch-screen
    I use GH2 as a travel camera (stills) a lot and I'm pretty much annoyed with the touch screen :)
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions