Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • Got my repaired G6 back on Friday !!!

Unfortunately Panasonic repair updated the original firmware to 1.2 and I have now lost the ability to use the zoom rocker on top to actuate zoom focus assist. It was one of the nicest features of this cam. The ability to simply zoom in the screen at any time with any lens to check focus.

In fact the new menus are identical to the GH4 now. I can't seem to assign that function on my GH4 either. I have to double tap the screen now on both cams to get it to zoom in to check focus and it only works in manual focus mode.

Does anyone know if I'm just missing it in the menu? I can't seem to find a way to assign that function to the zoom rocker.

Cheers, Pete

• Yes, i knew, in fact i tried today and it works.

However, what i was thinking was to use an external wifi reciever (not a smartphone or a tablet) wich can output a sdi signal that can be sent to an another monitor

• @mcoser you can connect the G6 with an android tablet via wifi. However I strongly recommend you to test your camera, since many G6 models seem to have issues with wi-fi unfortunately...

• Hi to all; does anyone know if it is possible to use a wireless wifi reciever with the G6. Like if you need to send the video signal to an external monitor like in a steadicam or such things.

• @dishe But this happens when shooting in sunlight/cloudy weather, no electrical lighting whatsoever.

• K01, Why the NX30? There are so many cameras in this class, its almost dizzying to keep up, but out of all the options from Sony, Nikon, Canon, and heck even Panasonic's own models in similar price ranges (GM1, GX7, etc), why on earth would you compare it to the NX30? It seems like the least likely candidate to compare the G6 to! It doesn't even do 24p, and Samsung is still playing catch up with their stills IQ, forget how far behind they are in video quality! Samsung makes some great consumer tech, but they aren't even on the map for this indie film maker stuff.

Starsailor, it sounds like a shutter speed / electrical frequency issue. I answered this in that other thread you asked it in.

• I'm wondering if the Samsung NX30 could be a competitor of the G6 for recording video.

• When shooting in EXT tele mode, patterns of colored noise appear and fluctuates between different positions of the frame in wave patterns. What is causing this? Is it higher ISO (I only went as high as 640) or is it something else? It's not always present at that ISO though. Does it have to do with over or underexposure? It has ruined many good shots and I am wondering if there's a way to avoid this nuisance, or if it is a production fault.

I can upload an example if that is needed. Has anyone encountered this?

• @c3hammer

That is great news. They had to replace my sensor. It took forever.

• Update on my G6 going in for warranty. It had three loose screws, with one that fell out and shorted the main board. They got the new board in today and said it should be back to me in 5 days or less !!!

Pretty good service from Panasonic for sure. I have heard a lot of not so good stories.

I now have a GH4 as well and while it gives an incredible image in 4K, the G6 is easier to use. I'll definitely be keeping both.

Cheers, Pete

• @AlecR - I haven't had this experience. You are in Movie mode, right?

• When I preview my recording, I get the colours, exposure, etc. set up just right, but when I hit record, everything changes ("shifts"). Is this normal?

• @Mckinise, OUCH !!!

So I got a call today while I was at Vincent Laforet's Directing Motion seminar that my GH4 came in !!!

Just a great day on all fronts it seems, even if my trusty G6 is in the shop.

Cheers, Pete

• Expect a two month wait.

• Made it by a month! Called Samys and they gave me the Panasonic service number. Got a case number and it's going back today. I had a Canon G9 that had a screw come out and shorted the board. That's what makes me think that is what it is this time too. Super bummer to not have it for a few weeks though.

May have to see about a GH4 in the mean time :)

Cheers, Pete

• Pete- well it's great that happened within your warranty period. You probably shorted out the board which will most likely mean a replacement camera . I wonder if it's somehow related to the strap lugs ? I'd start where I bought it. Good luck !

• Unfortunately my G6 has died. It has had a little rattle inside, like a tiny screw came loose for about a month. Finally yesterday it gave up the chase and won't start up with any battery or card I've put in it.

I've never had to go to Panasonic for warranty work of any kind before. Any suggestions as to where to start there and what's the timeline like?

Cheers, Pete

• Have been playing with the g6 for a few days now and loving it. I came from a GH2 a couple of years ago and then a bad experience with the blackmagic pocket camera over the past 6 months.

it is a joy to get such a strong vibrant image out of a cam with minimal effort..with still some room to grade in post. The bmppc was a nightmare..from getting the correct exposure...to getting the correct white balance...to crap battery..internal sound and memory card usage....!!

The G6 allows me to go full auto when I want and then manual when I have the time. I have found std all at 0 to be fine and then I can tweak the contrast /sat in post.

• Maybe it has been discuss so far, but we got a G6 as the third camera to complement our other two GH3's. After several events I can confirm the flowing:

GH3 in IPB 50 Mb/sec is much more detailed.

GH3 in AVCHD 24p is a little bit more details, I wold say 10-15%.

G6 has lower noise at all ISO settings in video mode, I think it is related to stronger NR. NR 5 in Gh3 produces more noise than NR 0 on G6 at any given ISO.

G6 produces more aliasing but less moire than GH3.

G6 is more saturated than GH3.

GH3 has better DR and more conservative exposure, G6 tends to over expose from time to time.

G6 has more greenish colors in comparison to magenta cast of GH3.

With GH3 original battery I can record 4 hours of continuous video or 2,5 hours of video in normal usage at an event.

With G6 original battery I can record about two hours of continuous video or about 1-1,15 hours of film in normal usage at an event.

The LCD screen is much better on G6, the viewfinder has less pixels but is also sharper than the finder in Gh3.

In conclusion, G6 can be used as a B or C cam in relation to Gh3 if you shot on AVCHD 24p and tweak the WB and other settings in G6 to mach the GH3. I cold not get the exact image form both cameras, but I use some cameras with tele lenses and G6 with wide lenses and the difference is acceptable and correctable in post.

I also must mention, with different lenses you get different colors and contrast with the same camera.

I hope I was helpful to someone. Best regards.

• what mic level are being using for the g6 to give them the best overall ambient sound?

• Proving you don't need expensive camera motion equipment to create stunning video:

• @DanPV It isn't really noticeable, only when you carefully look at it, you see noise ranging from different colors, but it doesn't detract from the viewing experience. If you watch it on a TV from across the room, it would be impossible to see. I used an LED flashlight and graded to be similar to a romantic painting, which is being portrayed on this clock.

Yes, the glass capsule surrounding the clock created a very interesting pattern, I would love to light this clock with candle light. Also, the numbers have a very "Charcoal drawn" look, which is nice.

• @starsailor - that's a cool effect with the handheld light shining through the glass and creating texture and shadows that move. I didn't really notice the noise but I'm not much of a pixel peeper.

• all of these "look" threads , like the "gh2 is out of cinema thread" remind me of artist in the 19th century complaining about the invention of the pencil and how it's far inferior to the raw graphite block for the rendering of fine detail.

• Shot this using only a flashlight as a light source. Graded it quickly, and it rendered some noise on the clock hands. Shot on the Panny G6 of course, and a Vivitar 55mm 2.8 Macro.