Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy Kiselev

"It means that GH3 firmware with peaking must be in the works."

Not necessarily. Panasonic has already said they can't do peaking on the GH3 because there isn't enough processing power. They may be right. The G6 appears to have a more powerful engine, because it can do 1080 60P in ETC mode. The GH3 tops out at 1080 30P in ETC.

• in six months announce GH5

• @Vitality Kiselev Does all hacks of Gh2 will work in G6??

• irrational exuberance...

• @jazzroy You exposed my secret of not getting out much!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I should have slept in this morning rather than hastily add my post & links! I guess the thought of the G6 becoming the next upgrade to the GH2 got me all excited! LOL

• "Appetizing Food", "Freeze Animal Motion" modes! Finally!

With all seriousness, this is a very nice alternative to a used GH2.

• @Ralph_B, I believe the GH3's inability to do 1080/60p in ETC mode is a limitation of the sensor, not the processor. The GH2 sensor apparently has a windowed mode that supports reading a smaller vertical and/or horizontal portion of the sensor, which means faster read-out speeds and less rolling shutter skew in ETC mode. The GH3 sensor apparently can't, or can't do it to the same extent, which mean rolling shutter is worse in ETC mode, and 1080/60p is impossible. The time to read out the active sensor area must be less than the frame period.

• @jazzroy

Yup. The GH3 sensor and codec are light years ahead of the GH2, G5, and G6. It all comes down to how well the sensor performs.

If the signal coming in is bad no amount of software is going to truly correct that.

• This link shows some still images of the focus peaking. It appears that it works in the zoomed in crop mode. That is good.

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/g6/control.html

• Why do they call it Digital Single Lens Mirrorless? To differentiate from all those Digital Twin Lens Reflex cameras, right?

• So many questions, wait for the answers guys :D and we'll know if we have to sell our Gh2 LOL

• I thought I read somewhere that the firmware for the G5 was never released. Is this true?

• Hard to tell but am I seeing some artifacts, aliasing etc on the leather straps hanging from the poles n the horse video on the 1st page of this thread? There's also a certain "fizziness" around the people and posts on the balcony. I tried looking at this in as high a res as possible but could not download. Do any of you see what I'm describing? Maybe it can be explained by poor quality internet delivery? This camera is my dream after looking for over 6 months, price, form, function etc but I won't buy it if it has moderate artifacting. Thoughts? I'm not very experienced with this stuff. Thanks. WP

• The G6 have proper wireless recording function with start/stop recording and 30fps video stream feed to tablet/smartphone, it should be really useful for remote shooting on crane/jib.

GH3 is more like half completed product that was rushed to the market with half completed feature.

• You have to have patience, and think well, and we can set up a few ideas:

First of all, this is the only official video to which we adhere:

The detail looks good, although there is something softer than what would be a sensor GH2 original and without any hacks. So, the first considerations we can do: is this really the same sensor of the gh2? However, the quality is good, in this video you can not see moire. If it is, well, we have the quality.

The videos with the horse are perhaps not very accurate, may have been shot with a previous firmware, we must wait for the reviews and other video test.

Pros: 1080p 60/50 fps, focus peaking, an HDR mode (finally), perhaps better performance in low light ...

And the cons? The price is also lower. BUT, the most obvious answer: it is not hackerable. And I do not know if I could do it Vitaliy if not with the next update.

So: If you have the gh2, it makes sense to sell it to get this? You should sell at the same price, and you would not have the machine that provides an extra boost, the top.

If you do not have the GH2, it makes sense to take the G6 instead of the GH2 (used)? And if you want to force to take something new, it makes sense to take the G6 instead of the Nikon D5200, which is very good videos and photos much better, and it costs the same amount?

I was thinking about these things today, and it seems to me that the G6 can excite the beginning, but if she remains as she is also rather pointless.

• Edit: Sorry, my mistake in this last post, i linked a video which wasn't of the g6!

• What conclusions can you make from youtube compression? answer: very few.

Seems ok to me. Looks like 8-bit posterization (aka banding) is handled better but it´s too early to tell for sure.

• I'm actually more excited by this one than the GH3 at the moment. I think the "official" video looks pretty good out of the box. I notice that they used a lot of highly detailed scenes with water and sky to show off the lack of macroblocking and banding that the first GH2s would have had trouble with. Good call on their part but I wonder where they got that idea from? :) . Chances are that they've learned how to make the codec more efficient with each version of camera they produce (and every thread on this forum) and with the supposed "faster" electronics, should be able to do everything better. I hope that this also means that any possible hack will bring it to higher quality than the GH2.

• G6 sounds like GH2.5 except live hdmi out.

• Judging from this early video it seems that the resolution is not on par with GH2. At least I see minor difference in GH2 footage on youtube switching between 1080 and 720, it doesn't do anything with G6's footage. Let's wait for proper AB tests, though.

• I work with my GH2 and manual lenses for interviews and ENG shooting. I was thinking about buying a good EVF with peaking (and zebra) but I will now wait for the G6, and probably upgrade for peaking first. I record audio on the GH2'sd card through an analog MixPre, but should like to monitor the audio out of the camera. It seems to be possible with the G6 because HDMI out offers stereo audio, so with an HDMI audio extractor I could monitor in camera audio. And the 3,5 jack for audio in is seating at a safer place. Third reason to replace GH2 by G6 is 1080@50p. I don't think I will buy a waterproof GH3 : I used my GH2 in snow and carribean islands without any problem. And last, I could use same DC coupler and batteries than GH2. Cheap power !

• No multi-aspect... that's a big, big difference from the GH2. People liked their lenses better on the GH2 than the GH3, and that was a big part of it. I'm very sorry to see it gone.

Slowly it becomes a question - just why is the G6 better than the Nikon 5200 or 7200?

I don't know if Vitaliy will hack the G6, he has his hands full with the GH3.

• Come on Panasonic! WTF! Don't let them fool you with responses like "the processing power of the GH3 might not be powerful enough for focus peaking". That's a load of crap - Its has real time exposure highlights which may take up the same amount efforts as peaking. If the GH3 is their top of the line flagship camera, then why on earth would they not keep the GH3 on par with some of the features the new G6 offers. Hey the cats out of the bag with firmware 1.1 and you opened the door to a hack. So theres no reason to hold back on another firmware - Lets get an update ASAP Panasonic or you can say goodbye to future GH3 buyers in favor of your highbreed G6 camera. Rise up!