Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Mitakon lens Turbo, Speed Booster analog, available
  • 240 Replies sorted by
  • The SpeedBooster delivers a small sharpness increase. Plus, the DoF and brightness advantages make it a winner. But it's not as big an improvement as actually going Full Frame.

For example, take the 90mm Elmarit with the SpeedBooster. It is slightly sharper than both the 50mm or the 90mm on APS-C without SpeedBooster. But it is not as sharp as the 90mm on Full Frame. If all I have is the NEX-5N and I have to take a portrait, 90mm+SB is slightly better (sharper in the center, about the same in the corners) than 50mm with the standard adapter. But 90mm on FullFrame would be a lot better.

http://www.similaar.com/foto/lenstestsff/lenstests_speedbooster.html

• anyone pull the trigger on this new lens turbo? i'm tempted.

• The mft to Nikon isn't avail yet but I might on the Metabones if it doesn't come out soon

• I'm so waiting for the Nikon(G) to m4/3 lens turbo - I still don't understand why they are waiting so long with it...I mean you can get aperture control on this lenses - you can't get that on cannon glas!

• @Psyco Yeah man, I'm stumped too. Might just grab a Metabones instead. I'm sure I won't be the first.

• I still don't understand why they are waiting so long with it...I mean you can get aperture control on this lenses - you can't get that on cannon glas!

They are not waiting, they made fixed E mount version. As for m43, just limited manufacturing and enginnering staff (and E mount sells better). It'll be ready in August as I was told.

• I think that the most interesting focal lenght on the Mitakon Lens Turbo + GH2 could be 35mm: we can get in this way, using a cheap 35 2.8 lens, a 50mm eq. FO, similar to 25mm lens (like Panaleica or Nokton 25), with an extra stop (a 35 2.8 with Mitakon on GH2 should perform like a 25 f2 lens). I hope it will be a nice low-budget solution, since it is very hard to find cheap old manual glasses for this focal lenght apart from Vivitars/Kiron 24/28mm 2.0-2.8, which have evident perspective distortion too.

Ps. I love my little Vivitar Komine 28mm 2.8 , Pentax mount, on my GH1, however, while the FOV is 50mm Eq, it has the distorted perspective of a wide lens, and not the magic 50mm look (flat, but not exaggeratedly).

• I love my little Vivitar Komine 28mm 2.8 , Pentax mount, on my GH1, however, while the FOV is 50mm Eq, it has the distorted perspective of a wide lens, and not the magic 50mm look (flat, but not exaggeratedly).

What is "distorted perspective of a wide lens"? All this is defined by your camera position, not the lens. So is FOV is same as of 50mm FF lens, perspective will be same.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I mean that using my Vivitar/Komine 28mm 2.8, Pentax K mount, I usually have a "grand angular effect": distortion on the faces, distortion on the windows (which appear a bit "bended"), and when I shoot a scene where the subject is in front of me and at the same time there is , for example, a painting on the wall behind him , the painting appears very small while the guy very big. It is a problem of my vivitar 28? I hope not! XD

• It is a problem of my vivitar 28? I hope not! XD

It is problem with your framing and choosing position, plus using proper lens :-) Nothing to do with lens.

• Ok thanks, I will try to correct my framing then...If I have futher problems I'll post in a separate topic some still ;)

• Over on dpreview they are saying the blue dot is still an issue with the new adapter.

• Over on dpreview they are saying the blue dot is still an issue with the new adapter.

Hmm. It needs more testing, I doubt that they claim it fixed if it is not. It is quite competitive field now, so needs double checking.

• There are sample pics. I think blue dont might be smaller and fainter now but still there: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3527375

• Or they can just change the name to something like "Special Blue Dot Lens Flare Optics" and say they did it on purpose, like some other non named company :)

• Apart from the blue spot, the photos in the post on dpreview seem decent in low light. Night shots with 135mm 2.8 have really the same look of 135 f2.0 takes thanks to the extra f-stop gained. I hope to test it on my GH1 for low light scenes when it will be available for m43...

• I have a simple question about Mitakon Turbo Lens and Speedboster: according to the Flange focal distance, it would be possible to buy a Turbo Lens CANON FD mount (which is 42.00 mm )and then simply buy generic adaptors FD->OM, FD->Minolta, FD->M42, FD-> PK...etc, (like this one http://www.ebay.it/itm/M42-SCREW-Lens-To-Canon-FD-Mount-Adapter-/280551766515?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item41523039f3 ) Is this correct?

• @AlbertZ

First, check flange distances of various mounts and get converter for minimum one :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Sorry, but I don't understand..could you please explain the reason why it is not possible to do it? I will be grateful to you :)

• @AlbertZ

I do not see where I told that it is not possible.

I mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance .

Usually normal practice is to select converter for lenses you have with minimum flange distance. As having extra converter always on can complicate things (especially that many cheap converters have variations and sometimes are not very tight).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Ok, thanks, now I understand :) There are lots of cheap converter like FD-m42, etc. Since FD is the shortest flange focal distance available on Metabones/Mitakon, I think that it would be a good choice to buy a Mitakon FD and then cheap adapters FD-> OM, PK etc just to test our vintage lens collection (expect Konica A/R lens, which have a too short flange focal distance ) I realize that more adapters can complicate things..but I think it's worth to give a try since their price is pretty low... :)

• Is there any news about the availability of the m43 version? Vitaly said that he was told it woult come in August.

The makers of these sorts of adapters claim that their condensing nature actually increases sharpness. For my usage, sharp lenses produce sharp results with the Lens Turbo, although even sharp lenses do see some softness towards the far edges. Softer lenses (like the Tamron 14mm in the edges, frankly) produce softer results. Lacking a glassless adapter to compare, I uploaded a full-resolution un-sharpened image taken with my Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 100mm f/4 macro lens, which is a consistently sharp lens.

Likewise, lenses which vignette without the adapter also vignette with the adapter.

Via: http://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pentax-lens-turbo-for-sony-nex-cameras.html

• Any news on the MFT version of this adaptor? I haven't been able to find any updates on it as of late. Thought it was supposed to come out a little while ago...