Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Mitakon lens Turbo, Speed Booster analog, available
  • 240 Replies sorted by
  • Once again: Nikon G with aperture control to m43, please :-)

• Has anyone seen any reviews posted of this adapter yet?

• @QuickHitRecord

You can check chinese forums from time to time, I mean links in the first post.

• bring on Canon FD to M43!!

• Nice to have this on the deals :)
    Still no words on MD to m43?

• Still no words on MD to m43?

Not available yet.

• "There's no such thing as a M43-to-M43 speed booster. It's impossible."

@niGGo, it is not impossible at all. Just illegal.

You can have a focal reducer that maintains back focus distance rather than reducing it. However, Kodak has a patent on that vague idea.

A similar reason why you can have lenses with a focal length shorter than the back focus distance.

Eg; the Angénieux retrofocus design, aka the inverted telephoto group.

Simply put, you can increase back focus distance of a lens optically without increasing focal length, a focal reducer reduces focal length by adding it to another lens.. you can do both at the same time.

• i find this message regarding the speedbooster, on Voldemort´s forum:

JohnBarlow wrote: Hello Brian
    I completed an inquiry form at your website in connection with an anamorphic interest.
    Did you get it? (I can resend if you did'nt) , Am I likely to get a response?

I've been swamped by email lately, and yours may have been lost in the shuffle. Sorry.

Anamorphic is something we are thinking about, but I can't say anything beyond that right now.

• @lolo

Please format post properly. And I think it is wrong topic to post it, it is more about Speed Booster.

Anamorphic market is just tiny.

• Problems I’ve encountered while not deal breakers, have to be mentioned. Opening the aperture of the lens while on the lens turbo requires some care. When putting on the adaptor, one must be careful to hook the aperture lever onto a little metal rod – this done with the lens wide open. This has been a little tricky as there is no open/lock switch on the adaptor. Another problem I do notice is the “blue dot issue” – where a blue light appears in the centre of the frame. This occurs when pointing the camera directly into light with a higher aperture. Vigneting hasn’t tended to bother me much (even on my 20mm) but that could just be a personal preference. Wide open on my 50mm at 1.4 (which is really more like f1) there does seem to be some subtle light effects (I’ll call them auras and rainbows) that disappear when stopped down a bit. There is also a definite color change, some have referred to it as being more green.

All in all, though not perfect… I’m delighted at this cheap $200 adaptor and what it has given me as far as field of view and extra light. I haven’t done an extensive tests of sharpness or distortion, but the results seems to be quite comparable with non Lens Turbo shots.

http://themartist.com/lens-turbo-canon-fd-review/

Other few test images - https://picasaweb.google.com/118178147574042355432/LensTurboChineseSpeedBoosterTest02#5877029592679937458

• you need a lens with a full frame image circle ....m43 lenses don't have full frame image circles.

(this got posted out of order and was in response to someone asking about using m43 lenses to m43 speedboosters ...sorry )

• you need a lens with a full frame image circle ....m43 lenses don't have full frame image circles.

It is also wrong, you need about APS-C image circle for m43 reducer.

• Some of the the effects seen, particularly at wide-open, may not be the adapter's fault at all. Shooting so long through the "sweet spot" at the center of a lens may have given folks an unrealistic idea of how good that lens actually is, especially at wide open.

If they weren't also shooting with the lens under the same aperture on cameras for which the lens was actually designed they need to do a little research before laying fault at this (or the Metabones) adapter. Is it creating issues or is it revealing issues? The relevance of any review is dependent on the author maintaining constant awareness of this in their evaluation.

edit: if the reviewer isn't evaluating each lens with a 135 format reference camera (in the case of boosted APS-C review) or an APS-C format reference camera (in the case of boosted MFT review) I'm inclined to consider the review total rubbish.

• My tests on http://themartist.com/blog weren't by any means accurate and I think a lot has to be attributed to performance of FD lenses on the nex system...

Ultimately, wide open I reserve only for night shots when I might need an f1 aperture on my 50mm 1.4... loses all sharpness but a nice option to use (not abuse).

Alternatively, stopping down to f2 or f2.8 on the 50mm FD creates a really crisp 54mm field of view with an equivalent 1.4 or f2 aperture... definitely satisfactory on that level.

The 20mm f2.8 becomes a fantastically wide, fast lens which I absolutely love. Even wise open it performs quite well. Ultimately, between a canon FD adaptor and a lens turbo... and my 50mm 1.4 and 20mm 2.8 I can have the equivalent of 4 relatively compact lenses, all very portable. I'll leave my sigma 19mm and leica summicron at home and travel with one lens on the camera and the other in my bag... and thats it. Thats the part I love.

Its not perfect by any means, but neither is my skillset. I think, however it gives me powerful tools to create some amazing art and video in a very portable setup. I this respect, I think this Nex 7, lens turbo, Canon FD setup is the best combination of quality, portability and budget.

• Yep, corners seem to suck a bit from what you can see in this thread, but even when charts may look quite bad WO with very fast lenses, real life pics are pretty nice in general for my untrained eye. So it seems to be a decent option for Minolta glass. And, actually, the only one since SB does not have a "pro" MC/MD alternative in its plans.
    I hope we can test this for m43 mount soon.
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1216015/0

• @Flaaandeeers dollars to donuts, that's just what that lens does in the corners and it's got nothing to do with the adapter. It's through the adapter that you're finally seeing (close to) the whole of the lens. Stills lenses weren't designed to be optimal (some not even good) at wide open but their faults, in the corners, are largely hidden on small aperture cameras.

• @BurnetRhoades Yeah, I know.
    But maybe we might get better results with this adapter in m43 land emulating ASP-C look than going for "Full frame" in Nex mount.

• No, because that still doesn't address the real issue here which is the lens. The relative performance on both formats, assuming a properly working lens booster, is dependent on the quality of the lens being used. We already know that the Metabones model works as advertised. This has been confirmed.

On an NEX + SB you can expect good glass to be even better in almost every respect compared to the same lens mounted on something like a 5D. If the lens was dodgy on a 5D it's going to still be dodgy on the NEX+SB with the potential to be slightly less so on a MFT + SB setup.

What we haven't seen is what this Mitakon version is actually doing. You have to know exactly what your lens is doing and is capable of before attempting to judge what the Mikaton adapter is doing.

• But maybe we might get better results with this adapter in m43 land emulating ASP-C look than going for "Full frame" in Nex mount.

In terms of avoiding the edges of the image where the lens might not be as good of a performer, yes. But that's not the only factor.

On an NEX + SB you can expect good glass to be even better in almost every respect compared to the same lens mounted on something like a 5D.

This is obviously wrong, unless you believe the NEX is a much better camera than the 5D.

• @balazer

This is obviously wrong, unless you believe the NEX is a much better camera than the 5D.

It isn't wrong. Re-read what you quoted. I'm talking about the lens.

• has anyone had blue dot issues?

• I've found this:

And the rumor that MFT Lens Turbo will be released in August.