Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
PTool v3.62d topic
  • PTool v3.62d released

https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/ptool-software

GH2:
    - Improved bitrate patches
    - Improved GOP patches.
    - Improved MJPEG size patches.
    - Added quantizer patches.
    - Added few other encoder related patches.
    - Few fixes, including 24L behaviour.

1. You'll need this base firmware:
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/330/new-gh2-firmware-leak

2. StreamParser by Chris Brandin as help tool to analyse AVCHD streams -
    https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/ptool-software

Other good idea is also use trial version of Elecard StremEye - http://www.elecard.com/en/download/products.html

3. Remember that Testers section patches are for testers. Use simple bitrate patches.

4. How can I make encoder hold better in low detailed scenes?
    Use Auto Quantizer patches.

5. How to update firmware:
    a. Load GH2 1.0E firmware, see 1. how to get it.
    b. Check all necessary patches, Version increment must be always checked.
    c. Save firmware. Just change last digit to any number you want.
    d. Copy firmware to root of SD card. Fully charge you battery. Do not even attempt to use AC coupler!
    e. Power off your camera if it was on.
    f. Power on camera. After this press (not hold) green play button.
    g. You'll see hourglass and prompt to update.
    h. Press down arrow and after this Menu/set.
    i. Wait until upgrade will be completed.

6. How to privide reports in this topic?
    0. Post here only problems and questions about new patches. For all else we have special topics.
    a. Use systematic approach (one-two changes at a time with careful thinking).
    b. Shift-Click on round button in PTool to save your particular settings.
    c. Paste here settings with detailed observation + MediaInfo screenshot + StreamAnalizer screenshot.

7. If anyone wants to share uncompressed video - you can use http://www.pipebytes.com/ or http://www.sendoid.com/ to instantly share very large files.
    Of course you need good connection as it uses p2p tech.

8-999. Reserved.
  • 327 Replies sorted by
  • My hope is that the new P_tool have a setting to "disable" the audio gain in the GH2. I have an XLR adapter I'd love to use, but sadly even at "lvl 1" that auto gain is a royal problem.
  • I don't know if i has been requested before, but a hack to be able to set the idynamic level would be very great. Form the idynamic thread the last example seem to show that it is done on the raw file prior to compression so even if it brings a little more noise the gain is DR is much more than just boosting the image in post. After the low gop and intra codec, a 2 or more stop DR Gh2VK would be groundbreaking.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev. Any idea from your experience so far with the film modes will ever be hackable to allow setting adjustments to -5 or beyond (which I think the af100 can do?). I ask because a DoP has recently completed a very detailed comparison of gh2vk (driftwood) against a 60D using magic lantern and technicolor cinestyle profile. Although the GH2 kicked the 60Ds butt in every case, the 60D maintained the edge in colour correct latitude, which I believe might be fixable if we could drop the settings down to -5. Anyway, just thought I'd ask. Will post the links to the test as soon as it is online.
  • ok thanks will move the post!

• @learrocket

Please open a new topic under 'offtopic' as this topic is not made for this sort of discussion and may (edited from will) be deleted.
    Or if you would prefer you can PM me for a blow by blow account.

For a simple answer - if you have a GH2- you NEEEEEEEEEED the hack. Simple. Oh- and you can tell. Have a look at the examples on Vimeo...
  • The question is, and that I can't find, how much will the hack improve the camera? Could I, an amateur even tell the difference? Or is it mainly for people who are "extreme"?? And if it is a big improvement on the camera, would the, for example, 44 stable hack be sufficient?
  • Ok, even how to import and export from fcpx to AE and back and so on??
  • I need help!

First of all, for a amateur like me, should I hack the GH2?

My goal is always to make it look like cinema!
    Second of all, when I shoot 24P on my PAL camera I can only choose 1080i in the camera? shouldn't it be 1080p? Will this be different with the hack?

Next, when I'm done I take the SD card put it in my macbook pro and open Final cut pro X. how should I import?? there are a few settings like apple pro244 and so on?

Then I cut my project. when I'm happy I want to send it to after effects to add some motion stabilizer and magic bullet looks cause FCPX can't handle looks yet. now should I export it full size?? ok then I get it in AE C5.5. I do my things but its extremely slow cause of the big file.

then I export it again and put it in FCPX again to add music and then I export it to vimeo.

I feel I'm not doing the right thing files are huge and the computer is suffering :).

would be nice if you (or someone) could describe a step by step how to do it!
    And if I shall hack the GH2 what hack would be good for a beginner like me? something that is stable but still good!

// John
  • @sdbest
    "When will then be now? Soon..."
  • Just wonderin' when the next "hack" might be available that addresses the spanning issue.
  • Tnx for fast reply. Now i will only change one thing and test. Then if i need other modes changed i will do it later.
  • @Lanzar, you never need to change the value of the version increment, just ticking it is enough. To revert to the original firmware, you must still load it into PTools & tick the version increment (and nothing else obviously) - otherwise it won't flash over a hacked one.
  • I didnt change it to 10, left it at 1. Now i want to start over and only change one setting at a time. If i want to revert to original, do i only copy the GH2__V10 to the card or do i need to do something else before that.
  • @Lanzar

How you want to "add 0 to the version increment". I just try to find any meaning in this operation.
  • I instaled hack but in all the things i had to do forgot to add 0 to the version increment. So i clicked the version increment and left it 1. Is this problem or can i revert to original bin if i need to.

Tnx Lanzar
  • Question. I wonder with the re-configuring of the sensor's range, i.e. Anamorphic... will it be possible to ever shoot 3k, or maybe 4k? or is that just impossible?
  • I have a request. With all these great settings (Driftwood 178mb GOP1, LPowell, etc) Would it be possible in the firmware to edit the in camera settings NAME. So Rather than selecting 1080p Cinema FHD, It could say Driftwood GOP1, Or, Anamorphic 2X - 720p/30. Even just changing FHD, HD, and SHD to something more reflective.

Thanks
  • I got here on a recommendation that ptool would allow my GH2 shutter bulb setting to go beyond 120 seconds.

I successfully got Ptool V3.62d installed along with firmware version 1.0E (It looks like 1.1 is still pending).

I don't see a specific entry to remove the bulb shutter time 120 second limit.

Am I missing something or has this been a futile, though really fun and educational, technical exercise?
  • See the "Don't cry for me Argentina" thread for this, it has been discussed at length and nobody knows yet.
  • ok i get it, is this something that anybody belives can be done or is 25 fps just a dream?
  • @pederw
    correctamundo, my similarly named amigo.
    by "supporting PAL" we imply that the framerates are 50i/p instead of 60i/p.
    As you imply, the lack of 25p means it's not completely PAL'ified, but it is being worked on..
  • Sorry now I get confused, it supports PAL but not 25 frames/second?
  • @pederw, its been answered many times. Yes, the camera now will support both NTSC and PAL. Which will effectively change the 1080i and 720p filming frame rates accordingly. However the 24p mode remains the same, this still is worked on.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions