Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
PTool v3.62d topic
  • 327 Replies sorted by
  • Chris,
    Thank you for your great work with the new ptool AND Happy Birthday!
    That's dedication man!
  • Mistan,
    what did you mean by "Noise at 3200 is insane"?
    I imagine the higher bitrate and quantizer improvement for static detail is allowing the codec to really display the "true" sensor output. This is very good news. I imagine shadow detail now has a lot more clarity!
    This is a game changer!
  • First of all: Happy birthday Chris!

Now regarding the "holy grail" of B-frames in 720p:

Can we start testing different encoder setting in order to turn on B-frames in 720p without the need to shoot 1080p first? We know that "Encoder Setting 1 720p" = 3 turns on the B-frames. But it seems that camera needs to initialize something before using this mode thus the need to shoot 1080p first.

P.S.
    IMHO, it's better to use B-frames with medium bitrate than to rake up the bitrate without
    the B-frames.
  • @proaudio4,
    Ha, I just realized how that could be interpreted. I meant insane as in natural looking. I can see just about every single individual grain now. The noise is a LOT finer and I can see a lot more detail than before. 1600 ISO is exceptional looking. Very usable now.

Also, what you say about displaying the "true" sensor output is correct. It's hard to imagine that this little ole GH2 is outputting this type of quality.
  • Has it been determined to use the
    1080p24 FB1, 1080p24P FB2, and 1080p24 Frame Limit settings?
    I had planned on trying these settings at 3X as shown below:

24H @ 66mbps, 6 GOP, Auto Quantizer for 1080 modes = 3-Most to details
    1080p24 FB1 = 2350080
    1080p24 Frame Limit = 23592960
    1080p24 FB2 = 2952069

Or should I just make only the: 66mbps, 6 GOP, Auto Quantizer for 1080 modes = 3-Most to details
    and leave the others OFF (default)
  • No problem mistan. I thought that was what you meant- just checking for sure.
    I agree with you. It just goes to show the data lost from compression.
    Less compressed video = better video ;)

The worse part of this, I am away from my camera. I'm now sitting in an airport in Phoenix Arizona.
    I won't be able to check the new firmware out until Saturday afternoon.
  • @vk & @cbrandin well done guys on the new release. Cant try it out now till i'm back from Greece but it sounds like an awful lot of progress has been made. And happy b'day Chris. Can't wait to analayse the quant functions.

PS Chris, Elecard are currently analysing some 50meg uploads/and spurious 8x8 data I sent them. They seem keen to sort it out and I have mentioned your suggestions. Have you looked at stream Analyser with the new settings /mts recordings? Anyways, ill keep u posted.
  • As a basic rule,do we have to check all the fields in the ptool software as default and change those that are being recommended as patches.Because i just fill in the basic patches, for instance, the 65 kae's patch but left everything else unchecked.
  • These new settings are pretty exciting! Thanks Vitaliy! And Happy B-Day Chris! I just had mine on the 9th.
  • Looking forward to an answer to blues' question. And APX happy b-day to you too, brother!

We've been fiddling all day and have settled on 110000000 for vid bitrate 24H and ADD, and GOP 6. Why 6? Well, 1 was fun, but the encoder with complicated scenes was falling apart, it turned out. And 6, when tested against an identical scene looked better than 3 (this test was for noise character in low lit shadows... our biggest concern). That all said, the 600 500 400 300 mjpeg at 1080, other than for pixel-peeping detail is also blowing our minds.... but at the end of the day, the mjpeg is impressing more at lower ISO settings than at higher. At higher, the 24h setting seems stronger.

That all said, the new Sony 77 will have to be VERY impressive to compete with this. We have an operating budget and can get away with buying the Sony as well, but if they hobble the thing, we'll happily stick with our stable of red, 5d, and GH2; that is to say: The GH2 with 3.62 has seriously changed the game.
  • @mistan:

"It's hard to imagine that this little ole GH2 is outputting this type of quality."

It truly is. Thank you to all the developers!
  • @cosimo_bullo

Please use either Stable or Extreme topics.
  • Okay, will port over.... the problem is that these are what I'd consider extreme settings that are behaving very stably! So I'm not sure where to move. I'll start at extreme.
  • Tried out a lot today! Saw the flickering FX of GOP1 @ 62mbs footage (test!) - tested VK sugested values @ GOP 24 and GOP 3 in lowlight in my hometown and just finished some outdoor test with Chris's settings @ 44 mbs GOP 6 with 3-Most to details - wow!! These settings are a keeper for the time being!
    Try out handheld steadicamshots in daylight with these tomorrow- thanks a lot!!
  • >Okay, will port over.... the problem is that these are what I'd consider extreme settings that are behaving very stably!

:-)
  • morning guys! the problem is probably between my ears?!?
    link points to 3.6d - though 3.62 was released. where can i find it???
  • Using the same kae's 65mpbs patch and now with auto quantizer checked i get an average of 45 mbps instead of 55mbps with the previous ptool.However the 10 frame glitch in the beginning is gone
  • @jetman104 - The 3.6d link points to 3.62d.
  • Thank you, Vitaly! You make a very good job, I will thank you;)
    I hope that soon you will succeed in the 25 \ 50P:)
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev, would it help if there was a searchable web-interface where people could upload their ini file, Ptool version, screenshots (i.e. screen parser) and comments?

I could make such a thing (RoR or PHP + MySQL or Postgres), but I don't have the resources to host it at present (my webservers need upgrading).
  • I now changed my settings. All high to 42 mbit and all low 32 mbit. Works fine for all but 720p high where I get write problems both on my SanDisk Extreme III 4gb and SanDisk Ultra 16GB. Can this be du to bursts in the writing? Will buffer size fix this and then what size would you recommend. 24H and FSH 42 mibts works fine on both cards.
    setb.zip
    334B
  • I just would like to say thank you to Vitaly, Chris, and all the testing team members!
  • Hi, Vitaliy!

Are you still angry about G3?

I hope not, as a G3 hack would be also welcomed. Some manual controls for video recording or make US cameras able to record 50i (in addition to 60i), etc.

Thanks in advance!
  • @cbrandin
    Just finished some real live steadicamshots with your settings @ GOP 6 - 44 mbs - 3 more to details.
    The movement, details in shadows and sharpness during motion are wonderfull!
    Uploading a demo straight from camera to YT right now but it won't play correctly probably.
    Anyway thanks again! Could you include improved settings for 720P also? - they seem to be @ default now.
    How are anamorphic patterns progressing? (oops off topic!)
  • I'll add another thank you! This is fantastic. Have not done much testing yet, but looking at a video i shot of a scene with shadows using 44mbit 24p and doubling the 24p frame buffers and frame limit - its beautiful - i paused it and am like - this is a VIDEO frame? Not a still photo? wow.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions