Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • The SLR Magic 25mm is actually pretty sharp in the center. The edges don't match the Voigt 25mm.

• Is there any reason to think an inexpensive battery solution like the one below wouldn't work? It provides 12v of DC power.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Astro3-10000mAh-Multi-connectors/dp/B005NGKR54/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370063099&sr=1-3&keywords=anker+battery

• you simply don't need anything other than the cheap nikon batteries unless you have to run the camera for more than an hour on one shot. Google them , they are cheap and last maybe 40-50 minutes each. The swappable battery and sdhc card are what makes this camera so great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-4V-1400mAh-EN-EL20-ENEL20-Li-Ion-Battery-DC125-charger-for-NIKON-1-J1-Camera-/181148266156?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item2a2d472eac

• I know, they're great for flexibility, but sometimes a power solution is better than a pocket full of batteries. And if this does work with the DC in, it could power the camera for 5-7 times longer than the stock battery for near the same price.

• As long as you regulate the voltage the same they will work fine and yes, they are a great option. If you are going to be shooting all day it saves time and headache not having to pull the camera off the rig to change batteries. I use one like this for my GH2 but it's larger and I literally leave my camera on all day long, except during long breaks and it works great. I plan to connect my BMPCC up these when it comes in. I have no time to pull the camera off the ring and change batteries.

• Strikes me as weird why anyone would try to turn this pocket cam into a rigged, on tripod cam. Its primary strength with an IS lens is its small form factor and ability to shot low profile light and flexible. I see people spending more on rigging these little cameras than just getting a more expensive camera. When I hear disscussions about getting a metabones for it logic to me seems to fly out the wondow. If you find yourself spending more than a $1000+ to rig this cam, then I just recommend just getting the EF, MFT or if you afford 4k.

Do what you want in the end, just seems silly.

• @jimmykorea

It is good habit to understand that different people have different needs. And for some it is just light raw camera they want to use in different situation (as they do not have plenty of cameras) and get stable footage.

As for BMCC type bodies, they need rigging even more.

• @jimmykorea I don't think it's silly. Why not just have the best of both worlds. Rig it up when you want something extra...tear it down when you want something stealthy. The BMCC or other cameras can not do that.

• That's a fair point but I don't think most people are thinking like that, I think they are going cheap for 'false' economy reasons not flexibility. And anyway I would argue again if that's what you want then having two cams might be similar price once you strive to turn the pocket cam into basically an EF mount.

• I agree with Ian_T. Nice to have my gh2 with 20mm when I want to be stealthy, or rig it up with a 30mm sigma and follow focus/rail/ect.. to get those cinematic shots in a controlled environment. Best of both worlds. Makes this camera exciting. Just went into a bar in downtown Las Vegas recently (freemont street) with my gh2 20mm low profile. Looked like a typical tourist with a "picture camera" around his neck. Wouldn't of worked with a 4k cam.

• @jimmykorea

Yes, everyone saw this :-)

Yet if you think that BMCC type cameras are easy and fun to shoot without rig, you are wrong.

• You can run BV1 right now with a top handle and an LCD if you wanted to, and in a pinch I have done just that and NEVER had an issue with poor handheld footage.

I choose to use Viewfactor because I do use V-mount batteries, and most of my work requires rigging more than just a monitor to the camera (more mounting points with Viewfactor's strategic layout). But if you really wanted to just use a handle and an LCD you could fine.

Coming from extensive use of the camera in various configurations.

BPC (Pocket Cam) won't be any different, and you could likely use it with a handle under it like an old Super8 if you had a small viewfinder as well.

I don't know a single larger sensor, small form factor camera that doesn't want some sort of extra to help stabilize it. GH2/3 included.

• @kevin_kirchman

but sometimes a power solution is better than a pocket full of batteries.

absolutely true! I made the experience shooting a full day with a GH2 and 4 batteries works fine. But if you need them the next day again you need at least two chargers if you dont want to get up at night to change batteries in the charger

• My point was missed, I'm not against using any camera for anything. It's just why fight against the original designers purposes for each camera. Pocket seems the perfect B cam, low profile handheld doc shooter tool. But for more narrative rigged up set ups would seem obvious to get one of the larger cams. And my point about trying to make the pocket into a larger production cam is a false economy, it can be done, but why bother.

Like I said, each to their own.

• I'm getting both the BMCC MFT and the BMPCC. The BMPCC will mostly be used in stealthy or car mount situations. For that it'll be naked using the Nikon batteries. That said I will more than likely use it from time to time as a B cam for interviews. For this I will probably have an ulra small light weight rig set up that will hold a larger battery.

• @jimmykorea The advantage of this camera's size and weight isn't just for a B cam set up. The future gear for rigging this camera will be small and light as well, which means I can pack everything into a tiny carry on bag and shoot any style I want anywhere in the world.

• This style?

image.jpg
    630 x 630 - 81K
  • Im sure someday some company will invent a nice small battery grip for this camera. Summer in midwest is wet, humid and cold. Did anyone notice the 128gb 45mb sd card image on the official pocket website. Does it means 45mb cards can run in this camera?

• Latest I heard from John Brawley is that only the 64gb pro extreme is good enough, not sure if that means the 128gb isn't. I would wait till last minute and till BM do a list of cards. prices can come down on those things in a matter of a few weeks.

Funny thing everyone complained bitterly about only having the built in battery. Unless you shooting a concert. Is it really that hard to flip the back and slot a battery in after an hour of shooting?

• Im sure there's a reason why blackmagic design put an image of the 128gb sd card on their website together side by side with the 64gb. This could be a cheaper large volume sd card option.

• @jimmykorea This is the second time you've been unable to see anyone else's opinion as an option here. Why can't you just except that other people have other uses for gear and let it be? I really don't understand it. It seems all you want to do is argue with people. If someone wants to make a small rig so they don't have to pull anything apart all day, why not just let them instead of insinuate how stupid they are? I'm sure you'll send me a nasty pm like you did last time but you're really starting to form a pattern of behavior towards everyone here. Let it go man. :)

• Forgive my ignorance...I've been trying to follow the last 39 pages and still am not sure. Will this thing work with the same Prime Glass as my GH2/3? Thanks!

• @perternap, the BPC will work great with most of your glass for GH. It's one of the reasons this is an anticipated release. The idea that you can add this camera to your kit and get some RAW going is exciting. From my perspective it should fit in pretty well with any GH you already have.