Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @km1001

I think the Blackmagic is a no-brainer. Even the Prores is so much better for grading than 8 bit footage.

• @Cde

Thanks for the help :-) I'm a bit of a noob. Is there somewhere I can read about the lenses you can use with it? I have no idea at all about that stuff...

• @Cde Agreed. And saving hours on transcoding is immeasurably beneficial in so many ways.

• @htinla Definitely.

@km1001

You can use all the lenses you use on GH2, only you'll get a 1.5x smaller field of view. So using a 25mm on the BMPCC would be similar to using a 37.5mm on a GH2

• @Cde @TrackZillas I think the clips in the John Brawley film didn't use panasonic lenses but SLR magic 25mm and 12mm lenses.

"Yeah your right the Panasonic lenses looks awesome good thing I have my 20mm Pany love that little lens."

"Wow, Panasonic lenses look great on this camera."

• @andrevanberlo All the shots on the beach were taken with the original Panasonic 14-42.

• That is a nice image from the original 14-42 Lens!

• https_//vimeo.com/66955436
    o jump to Vimeo stream

• @Cde I guess i missed that bit of info, thanks! In that case the 14-42 indeed looks pretty good, gives me high hopes for my 25mmf1.4!

• I'm convinced more than ever that the Pocket cant be used handheld without in lens stabilisation of some sort. The jello and softness with the SLR magics was unappealing to me but the sharp contrastly Lumixs ironically looked better, sharp and cinematic.

what's the word on the new 14-42mm x Lens. Can it be used or not? some discussion of having no zoom/ focus ring has confused me.

• I don't think john's Pocket footage is sharpened right? I know the first one wasn't.

If so you really should try and sharpen a screengrab before complaining it's soft. Cameras like the GH2 always sharpen (it actually heavily oversharpens once you hack it and you cant' disable it) so you can't directly compare it.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Remember when they said the BMPCC sensor is too small, and that it would be better to have a bigger sensor to get a 1080p image from basically the scaling down process. This little cam will be unbelievable, what are your thoughts V.K

• Remember when they said the BMPCC sensor is too small, and that it would be better to have a bigger sensor to get a 1080p image from basically the scaling down process. This little cam will be unbelievable, what are your thoughts V.K

What you want to say?

• @andrevanberlo Yep pana 14 - 42mm was used.

• @matthere @_gl The 14 - 42 kit lens will be my go to now love the way they look on the BMPC. Nicely said "gl" I think those images jump out the screen, and the sharpness is just perfect, It's razor sharp if you ask me more than that will be over doing it.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Just your insight on how the images look, and sharpness cause it's a big discussion about it.

• @TrackZillas I agree, it depends on the look you want. If you like 'soft cinematic', the Pocket is very high quality straight out of the cam, and the detail is there. If you prefer sharper, a little sharpening should tighten that up nicely.

I think we'd all be shocked to see 100% unsharpened footage out of the GH2.

• 12-35 and 35-100 will probably be the killer kit for this camera. I'm curious about whether the upcoming Lumix 42.5mm f/1.2 has OIS...I'd assume it would have to. That could be one to watch as well (though obviously not for bare handheld).

• it wouldn't make sense that it has OIS cause none of their primes have it. BUT looking at pictures of it, it looks like I can see a switch for it, so maybe it does.

If only they put OIS on their other primes like the 14mm, 20mm or 25mm. I wonder what the future of OIS in lenses is however if they have in camera OIS.

• Ok i checked, it will have OIS.

• @gl. I read back and no one said anything about the camera being soft. but if your referring to what I said I was talking about the SLR Magic lenses, which everyone knows can be soft, in fact that's why people like them. It's a personal choice.

• @jimmykorea it wasn't clear how well you know the lenses, you talked about them specifically on the Pocket footage. Sharpened they might look good enough (or not).

• It's a personal view of the look I want but I was at first crazy for the SLR magic lenses now I feel like the shallow soft look isn't my thing and I feel like to the casual viewer it isn't as cinematic as we think.

Again it's personal but this last footage is making me think some of the Lumix lenses are going to be great on the pocket. It's the 12-35mm I have my doubts about due to a grey cast on footage I've desensitised. sharp contrasty lenses might be what you need to cut the flat dynamic range of the BM cameras and make it pop.

• "I shot some tests with the BMCC alongside (the BMPCC) and there’s not much difference between them in resolution to the eye. I was actually surprised there wasn’t a bigger difference. There should be."

John Brawley

http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2013/05/26/shooting-from-the-hip-pocket/

• John Brawley Tests PRO 1 hour ago

With regards to softness and the "softness" of this image....

Firstly, people said the same thing about the BMCC when it came out...and this is a camera with no OLPF. I think we're used to seeing very processed images, Most .264 cameras tend to add sharpening in-camera as well as other things like coring.

The BMCC and RAW way is to give you un-adulterated images. Even in ProRes. So these images haven't been sharpened or noise reduced AT ALL.

You also have to remember that there IS a difference between this camera and the BMCC...resolution. I think the softness people are seeing is more to do these two differences than the lenses. The SLR Magic, especially the 25mm is actually pretty sharp.