Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @markr041 I appreciate your comment and have to agree. This was my first pass where as you said I literally slapped on an LUT to add something to the video and it doesn't work. My regarded effort in fcp x now has strange flashing artifacts in random clips making it unuseable at the moment and I don't want to start editing the whole thing from scratch again. I am happy for comments good and bad!

• "nice grading"

Are you kidding? The skin tones are those of zombies; there is no real color and an odd overall dark color cast. How is that appropriate for a happy family Christmas video? Another poorly "graded" video that looks the same as many posted from this camera, giving the impression that are all using some awful default LUT. I have never seen coloration like that in any film or television documentary; even apocalypse movies have more interesting grading. Perhaps I am missing some secret society of faux artistes? Really, what am I not seeing in the color?

• Thanks!.. Can live with the moire on a family vid.. Even though it is awful!!. Not much room for a stabiliser either.. But in hindsight a monopod at the least woukd have helped!

• nice grading, lovely family. (Get a stabilizer and kill that horrible moire sequence at 5:15)

• Christmas with my BMPCC, Speedbooster and Sigma 18-35 1.8.

• BMPCC RAW Video: Enjoying a Hong Kong Lake

Color, color, color: Children, flowers, birds, and more.

108030p. Lumix 12-35mm f2.8 lens. .8 ND filter.

Edited in Resolve Lite.

• BMPCC RAW Video: Early Morning Shanghai December Stroll

Youtube version:

Select 1080p

Bicyclists, street food vendors, Christmas decorations, dancing women, working women and men, and, finally, morning school marching drill to marshal music and flag ceremony.

108030p. Lumix 12-35mm f2.8 lens.

Edited in resolve Lite.

• BMPCC RAW Video: Around the Friendship Hotel, Beijing in December

Visit to a Department Store, behind the scenes of a television adventure series shoot, exploring the hotel.

Edited in Resolve Lite.

108030p. Lumix 12-35mm f2.8 lens.

No ugly color cast.

• @last_SHIFT

I am glad for you (btw we have it on deals), just keep it in appropriate topic made for MovCam gear.

• I absofuckinglutely love this black beauty from Movcam - walnut grip, QR reversible handle...

001.png
    462 x 671 - 433K
    002.png
    394 x 603 - 311K
    003.png
    405 x 473 - 249K
  • @markr041 well, regarding colors it's all about personal taste. But many thanks for all the comments - it is from the feedback we all can learn! You said that in the scopes of Resolve it can be seen? I have to try that.

• gorgeous stuff @vicharris

• @markr041

Yes indeed your screenshots and timelapse looks clean and neutral in my monitor. Maybe it was pollution in the air or in my eyes with your latest video.

• The moving scenery may be soft (from airplane) due to the fact that the focus was on the engine nacelle, and the dof was shallow. The train scenics in bright light at the end should be sharp. The BMPCC RAW has more resolution than the GH3, without artificial sharpening. I tried to match the golden sunset scene color to what I saw. None of the frame grabs I posted above have any greenish tint, and I do not see it in the last train scenic - but maybe it's my monitor. In resolve one can always pull down the green - it is visible on the scopes, so no excuse for tints. And the RAW time-lapse video I posted above is crystal clear, fully-saturated and untinted, what ever its other merits.

• @markr041

Interesting video. Moving scenery is a little soft but thats I guess normal. What was the shutter speed. I am so used to tack sharp moving video with GH3. Of cource that is not possible with youtube.

Sunset light (in reality) is yellowish and sky/shadows becomes greenish but is there still a little too much "green" we have talked so much?. Do you remember if this is the color you saw. Is it possible that BMPCC native "color world" is a little greenish?

• RAW Video: Landing in Phoenix during sunset (and some train travel).

The purposes of this video:

1. To capture the changing light at sunset.

2. To test the new FAA rules about use of electronic devices at landing and takeoff.

3. To test for rolling shutter effects: do vertical lines bend?

Be sure to choose 1080p.

RAW video edited using Resolve Lite.

• @markr041 Yes, formatted properly.

@matt_gh2 I bought them in China - I know I know, but I've been living here for 10 years and know all the gear shops. Will go back and swap out 2 more cards and see what happens.

All in all, what an Xmas bummer.

• @last_SHIFT Where did you buy SD cards? I've heard a lot of fakes are sold on Amazon by third-party sellers. I always order my SD cards from B&H to be certain.

• @GMC: I use Resolve, and I do not get the not subtle color cast. That is your doing, and I do not find it attractive. It is a very nice video otherwise, ruined by this discolor. I do not see this tint in any cinema.

• @last_SHIFT: Did you format the cards in a computer exFat, 128bytes?

• So I just got my BMPCC yesterday. Picked up 2 Sandisk Extreme Pro 64G 95mb cards...both are not recording RAW, ProRes is fine. Updated to latest firmware and still unable to record RAW. Anyone else have this problem? Shit, would really suck if I got 2 fake cards.

• @GMC

To be honest it is not a slight. Especially with many other BMPCC users.

Anyway, nice work and Merry Christmas.

• @vesku you are right, there is a slight color cast (which can be tweaked any way you want of course), but I actually like it an kept it - I think it comes from the way Resolve debayers the image, as AdobeCamera Raw does not show it.

• @GMC

Nice video and good quality shots.

I still wonder where comes this greenis/cyan overal color cast which is in many clips shot and graded with BMPCC. Is there some kind of systematic error or method that leeds to that?

• Hi folks, here is a little piece I shot on the BMPCC in raw for the personal view video contest, the "Crazy Christmas Market". I love the grading possibilities of Resolve, amazing!

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/9159/personal-view-video-contest#Item_14