Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
ColorGHear [PART 2]
  • 568 Replies sorted by
  • @shian,

Could you advise me on your CG Pro, 'cause I don't get it very well: 1) I haven't tried yet but I know I should upgrade to CG toolkit 1.1, will there be the stocks described above (for example: Kodak EXR 5298)? 2) Should I buy CG Pro/Plus in case I'm on AE and I'm not planning to use other grading/editing software? Or CG Pro will give me some new features to be used in AE?

Thanx.

• @Shian, will the film stocks be available to CGT users, or just Pro?

• If you are experiencing any issues with the site they should be sorted out shortly. I'm in the process of upgrading the server to a dedicated host, which should solve the download and access issues for you guys.

• For those having trouble finding the LUT folder in DaVinci, This folder is actually hidden by default on Windows 7. You have to go to windows explorer and select "organize" then "view" and click "show hidden folders."

It's likely the same on other versions of windows as well. When I was a windows user I would always have to go into the view options and check the box to allow hidden and system files to be visible.

• @shian so are these made with scans from actual film grain? Either way, in all seriousness, this is the most convincing grain effect I've ever seen. You've got me incredibly stoked for when I get a 30' monitor and can actually use all this stuff with Resolve (I'm on a laptop right now with too small a screen to run Resolve).

• I think you'll see from this that it accomplishes everything I wanted it to do. Without blurring or softening it takes the digital edge off the footage. These are warmed up a little to give them more of a vintage look. But the blacks can be crushed, or just pushed down to give it more contrast, and a more modern look. And the highlights here are rolled off, but that can be altered as well.

stock used Kodak EXR 5298 - for easier viewing on flickr go here http://www.flickr.com/photos/76276262@N04/sets/72157632784156675/

00003 (1.00.16.22)_1.png
    1920 x 818 - 7M
    00003 (1.00.16.22).png
    1920 x 818 - 7M
    00003 (1.00.36.11).png
    1920 x 818 - 7M
    00003 (1.00.36.11)_1.png
    1920 x 818 - 6M
    00003 (1.00.51.00).png
    1920 x 818 - 7M
    00003 (1.00.51.00)_1.png
    1920 x 818 - 7M
  • it's a build your own film look package. the grains are overlays, these have been heavily graded [u know me] on top of the film stock. In fact those using them without watching the tutorials (still in progress) will be scratching their heads. The LUTs are programmed with the response curves provided by Kodak and Fuji. You'll be able to do everything from mild conversions to the heavier stuff shown here, the possibilites are endless, and renders pretty damn fast.

There's enough leeway for them to work with everything from Alexa footage to DSLRs.

BTW the first batch is downloadable now, and included in the download package for new upgraders as a default. You can play with them if u like but don't pass judgement until I show you how to use them. It's really easy, but not intuitive unless you understand how they work. And warning, there's a drastic difference between the fuji and kodak stocks.

• @shian couple questions...

1) is your grain setup still using the AE grain tool, which is slow as f*ck, or are you generating custom grain files that will be as impact-less to a project as Film Convert's grain tool?

2) are you, in your Vision3 examples, creating conversion to a graded Vision3 or an accurate representation of how the stock responds, with no additional influence?

My point for asking is, I'm both a GHearhead and Film Convert customer and I'm not seeing actual apples-to-apples equivalency here just based on the imagery and the methodology you're describing to snipe potential customers of their's. Their standalone lets you play with grain and stock conversion in realtime on old-ass 2008 Core2Duo systems, fyi, and functions as a fairly robust "tech pass" interface for preparing your footage before actually grading in your look, however you decide to do that and in whatever package.

• @shian Kodak Vision 3 looking real good.

• Some still caps of my screen in DaVinci from the tutorial I'm working on. Kodak Vision 3 - no grain. [edit] oops. I double checked the settings... this is Fuji 3513.

Obviously not full rez, just grabs of the viewer window in Resolve. Shot with Quantum v2 Panny Pancake 20mm.

Screen Shot 2013-02-16 at 10.10.59 AM.png
    1337 x 571 - 942K
    Screen Shot 2013-02-16 at 10.11.13 AM.png
    1337 x 569 - 906K
  • Wow, @shian that is some of the most convincing grain I've ever seen, that' for sure. Looks like a screen grab from a bluray of something shot on film. Good work

• So the GHrain development is coming along nicely. Lots of options for heavy and subtle looks, successfully emulated Eastman EXR and Kodak Vision 2 stocks, still working on Vision 3. Here's an example of a heavy look.

Raw

Graded plus Vision 2 500T

I've created a development page where you can view and download full rez images without clogging the thread. So to see the full gamut of what's in the works go to:

http://www.colorghear.com/development

Will slam on Tutorials this weekend. Hope to have GHrain Overlay tutorials, GHear Overview, and the magic of using each platform for it's strengths and porting results to other platforms up this coming week.

Vision 500T.png
    1918 x 818 - 3M
    RAW.png
    1919 x 819 - 2M
  • @b3guy did you not get the email? The upgrade for cg(afterfx) owners: log in, go to members download page http://www.colorghear.com/member-download-page/ go to page bottom. $75 upgrade

@riker go to pro member download page http://www.colorghear.com/pro-member-downloads/ install video there

• per Vitaly please confine tech support questions to PM or email. There's also the forum on the CG website... in case I'm asleep.

@B3Guy email me and from your email address I can sort through which version you have, and advise you better. But yes, you can download it at anytime form the Pro Member page.

• Can someone help me with the installation of this plugin. I'm using the old CGH on After Effects, and my workflow so far was sending the Premiere clip via Dynamic Link in After Effects and editing it with CGH there.

I have the Pro file now. I'm on W7x64. How do I install this. Can I get a simple step by step? Shians video is basically Mac explanation but it's more of "this is how it works here" condensed into 10 minute video. It's not bad, but I can't understand how do I get this thing running in Premiere.

I didn't get any PDF file in the downloaded zip file.

• @shian

I'm super pumped for the Resolve version! I believe I've already bought the Premiere version, so is it just an upgrade price? I'm not seeing an upgrade option on the site? (Also, if I buy it now, can I download it later?)

• You are a patient, patient man Shian.

• If it were at all possible to put GHrain Killer and the 3way into CG Pro - it would already be there. It's just not possible.

• Ok now, but I suppose that I still need AE for grain killer/3wayCC,... and I realy do not want AE for my type of work... so please, integrate those function in the PPro kit!!!

• Just a quick note: If you are thinking of buying FilmConvert, hold off on that purchase for another week or so. As you know I've been working on some film emulsion GHears for awhile. I took them over to an old friend from Lowry who now works at Deluxe to get a new set of eyes on them, and he allowed me to experiment on a feature he was grading. So I spent the day with him playing with some Red and Alexa footage which were shot alongside some EXR 250D and 500T film. The results of that session sent me off in a completely new direction. Now, I'm not saying I've cracked it, but I think I have something comparable to FilmConvert, it definitely works on Red and Alexa footage, now I have to figure out what is necessary to get it working consistently on HDSLR footage. If I can get it there, then I'm gonna add it onto CG Pro. It's gonna take me a week or so to test it, but if it works, it'll save you some money.

[don't worry, those who have already upgraded, it'll be a free downloadable add-on from the member page.]

• @crisvpl that $75 members only price upgrades you from your current CGT to Pro Plus.

• So, the big event hapened... For me (a poor videographer who use the cheapest gear beside a GH2) is quite dissapointig... I was hoping to an 50$ upgrade. I don t want to use AE at all, but you ask for extra 75$. And you decided to criplle CG pro! 3way CC in PPro is awfull! So you force me to buy CGT Pro Plus!... too expensive... But that is a marketing rule... You have to take you share from the big boys (MB, Colorfinesse,...). Succes! You deserve it!... but I hope that you will continue to take care of us... Forgive me for those lamentations...

• CGT - is AE only : it has GHrain Killer, Film Grain, ColorFist (advanced 3-way color Corrector) and some pre-made gradients.

CG Pro - is for FCP7, PP, SG, and Resolve - it does not have Ghrain Killer, or gradients, and doesn't need a 3-way CC as there are 3-ways in all of the other programs, it does have downloadable Film Grain Overlays.

CG Pro Plus- is both CGT and CG Pro together.

ps. running diagnostics now to try and speed up the downloads - it downloads in 20 seconds for me.

• @Shian The price difference is 50$ for AE version, 100$ for PPro and other ecxept AE and 140$ for AE and PPro version. Can you clarify if there is any other difference between Kit, pro and plus versions- then capability for software? Thanks

• For those who asked there is no "standalone" version - the system works in any platform that will accept LUTs so it's a solution for DaVinci and SpeedGrade that just happens to work in PP and FCP7 as well.

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters