Personal View site logo
ColorGHear [PART 2]
  • 568 Replies sorted by
  • If it were at all possible to put GHrain Killer and the 3way into CG Pro - it would already be there. It's just not possible.

• You are a patient, patient man Shian.

• @shian

I'm super pumped for the Resolve version! I believe I've already bought the Premiere version, so is it just an upgrade price? I'm not seeing an upgrade option on the site? (Also, if I buy it now, can I download it later?)

• Can someone help me with the installation of this plugin. I'm using the old CGH on After Effects, and my workflow so far was sending the Premiere clip via Dynamic Link in After Effects and editing it with CGH there.

I have the Pro file now. I'm on W7x64. How do I install this. Can I get a simple step by step? Shians video is basically Mac explanation but it's more of "this is how it works here" condensed into 10 minute video. It's not bad, but I can't understand how do I get this thing running in Premiere.

I didn't get any PDF file in the downloaded zip file.

• per Vitaly please confine tech support questions to PM or email. There's also the forum on the CG website... in case I'm asleep.

@B3Guy email me and from your email address I can sort through which version you have, and advise you better. But yes, you can download it at anytime form the Pro Member page.

• @b3guy did you not get the email? The upgrade for cg(afterfx) owners: log in, go to members download page http://www.colorghear.com/member-download-page/ go to page bottom. $75 upgrade

@riker go to pro member download page http://www.colorghear.com/pro-member-downloads/ install video there

• So the GHrain development is coming along nicely. Lots of options for heavy and subtle looks, successfully emulated Eastman EXR and Kodak Vision 2 stocks, still working on Vision 3. Here's an example of a heavy look.

Raw

Graded plus Vision 2 500T

I've created a development page where you can view and download full rez images without clogging the thread. So to see the full gamut of what's in the works go to:

http://www.colorghear.com/development

Will slam on Tutorials this weekend. Hope to have GHrain Overlay tutorials, GHear Overview, and the magic of using each platform for it's strengths and porting results to other platforms up this coming week.

Vision 500T.png
    1918 x 818 - 3M
    RAW.png
    1919 x 819 - 2M
  • Wow, @shian that is some of the most convincing grain I've ever seen, that' for sure. Looks like a screen grab from a bluray of something shot on film. Good work

• Some still caps of my screen in DaVinci from the tutorial I'm working on. Kodak Vision 3 - no grain. [edit] oops. I double checked the settings... this is Fuji 3513.

Obviously not full rez, just grabs of the viewer window in Resolve. Shot with Quantum v2 Panny Pancake 20mm.

Screen Shot 2013-02-16 at 10.10.59 AM.png
    1337 x 571 - 942K
    Screen Shot 2013-02-16 at 10.11.13 AM.png
    1337 x 569 - 906K
  • @shian Kodak Vision 3 looking real good.

• @shian couple questions...

1) is your grain setup still using the AE grain tool, which is slow as f*ck, or are you generating custom grain files that will be as impact-less to a project as Film Convert's grain tool?

2) are you, in your Vision3 examples, creating conversion to a graded Vision3 or an accurate representation of how the stock responds, with no additional influence?

My point for asking is, I'm both a GHearhead and Film Convert customer and I'm not seeing actual apples-to-apples equivalency here just based on the imagery and the methodology you're describing to snipe potential customers of their's. Their standalone lets you play with grain and stock conversion in realtime on old-ass 2008 Core2Duo systems, fyi, and functions as a fairly robust "tech pass" interface for preparing your footage before actually grading in your look, however you decide to do that and in whatever package.

• it's a build your own film look package. the grains are overlays, these have been heavily graded [u know me] on top of the film stock. In fact those using them without watching the tutorials (still in progress) will be scratching their heads. The LUTs are programmed with the response curves provided by Kodak and Fuji. You'll be able to do everything from mild conversions to the heavier stuff shown here, the possibilites are endless, and renders pretty damn fast.

There's enough leeway for them to work with everything from Alexa footage to DSLRs.

BTW the first batch is downloadable now, and included in the download package for new upgraders as a default. You can play with them if u like but don't pass judgement until I show you how to use them. It's really easy, but not intuitive unless you understand how they work. And warning, there's a drastic difference between the fuji and kodak stocks.

• I think you'll see from this that it accomplishes everything I wanted it to do. Without blurring or softening it takes the digital edge off the footage. These are warmed up a little to give them more of a vintage look. But the blacks can be crushed, or just pushed down to give it more contrast, and a more modern look. And the highlights here are rolled off, but that can be altered as well.

stock used Kodak EXR 5298 - for easier viewing on flickr go here http://www.flickr.com/photos/76276262@N04/sets/72157632784156675/

00003 (1.00.16.22)_1.png
    1920 x 818 - 7M
    00003 (1.00.16.22).png
    1920 x 818 - 7M
    00003 (1.00.36.11).png
    1920 x 818 - 7M
    00003 (1.00.36.11)_1.png
    1920 x 818 - 6M
    00003 (1.00.51.00).png
    1920 x 818 - 7M
    00003 (1.00.51.00)_1.png
    1920 x 818 - 7M
  • @shian so are these made with scans from actual film grain? Either way, in all seriousness, this is the most convincing grain effect I've ever seen. You've got me incredibly stoked for when I get a 30' monitor and can actually use all this stuff with Resolve (I'm on a laptop right now with too small a screen to run Resolve).

• For those having trouble finding the LUT folder in DaVinci, This folder is actually hidden by default on Windows 7. You have to go to windows explorer and select "organize" then "view" and click "show hidden folders."

It's likely the same on other versions of windows as well. When I was a windows user I would always have to go into the view options and check the box to allow hidden and system files to be visible.

• If you are experiencing any issues with the site they should be sorted out shortly. I'm in the process of upgrading the server to a dedicated host, which should solve the download and access issues for you guys.

• @Shian, will the film stocks be available to CGT users, or just Pro?

• @shian,

Could you advise me on your CG Pro, 'cause I don't get it very well: 1) I haven't tried yet but I know I should upgrade to CG toolkit 1.1, will there be the stocks described above (for example: Kodak EXR 5298)? 2) Should I buy CG Pro/Plus in case I'm on AE and I'm not planning to use other grading/editing software? Or CG Pro will give me some new features to be used in AE?

Thanx.

• @OzNimbus The stocks are pro only - the simplest answer is: because you don't wanna have to go through everything I had to go through to create them every time you wanna use them. And with CGT you'd have to. Lots of pre-comping stacks of GHears, collapsing transformations, applying transfer modes, adding more Ghears, etc. It's not simple. And the point of CGT and CGP is to be simple. IN CG Pro, its a 3 GHear combo, and then mix, add grain if you feel like it.... simple, and allows you to create up to 28 different stocks just by doing that, and the you can start branching out and customizing from there.

@MikhailiK I'd say hold off for a while. Like I said in the email this is a soft opening. Just for those who had to have it "right now." I'm not really promoting it yet, it's not really ready for new users, those who are already using CGT won't have any problem learning the Pro version because they've already watched all the CGT tutorials, so they know how the system works, but newbs could get lost very easily. So I need to finish another 4 or 5 tutorials before going into promo mode. At that stage I'll be making some videos that show off the new system, and better explain what CG is, and what it gives you. Pro does have some functionality in AE, but I've yet to create those tutorials so I'm not saying much about it. Pro doesn't work in AE as smoothly as CGT, and it's missing a few things that are exclusive to AE like GHrain Killer and Colorfist, etc. but because I'm having trouble with my video card and DaVinci not liking each other, but I'm able to port my DaVinci grades into AE and finish there.

BTW - CGT v1.1 is a free upgrade to you as a member. Just download it from the member download page, but if you are on CS4 or earlier the new GHears won't work, v1.1 only supports CS5 and above.

• @shian, thanks for the comments. I'm on CS6 and I've just upgraded to v1.1.

• Quix question y'all

OK so I just edited my short short I shot on foot few days ago...I did all the editing part, the audio and cut the clips the way I want the final video to be.

Now, since I'm a CGH user, what would be the best way to grade this? Only two methods come to mind, holler if you have a better advice

1) grade clip by clip with "Replace with After Effects comp" 2) render the entire video and edit it in AE with CGH with adjustment layers going over each cut

Thing that bothers me about method 2 is quality loss (double encoding) and, how can I precisely transfer those cut points from Premiere to AE?

Thanks

• Just select all clips in the compostion and then replace by after effects composition. If your clips are not shot in the same way, you're going to have to grade on a clip basis in afterfx.

You can buy colorgear pro and do it in premeir. Would still be clip by clip, unless they all have the same shooting style.

I can't comment much more, since I don't know how much variation there is brightness, color, etc in each clip. YOu may be able to group them and grade several with the same grade, grading one, saving a preset, then applying to the others.

• @Riker just bring the Premiere file into AE, grade there, then render. You don't have to replace with AE comp, everything will be cut together when you bring it in AE. One of @shian's videos talks about the workflow and bringing in your cut/edited file into AE, grading, and then rendering.

• I just did the Replace, but since I have 30 cuts, I'm now looking at 30 layers in AE on my small 23 screen...I didn't get to sit and watch CGH tuts on grading it via Premiere...so I'll punch thru with all these layers being stacked...I shot the video for practice only anyway

But yeah, this is necessary for understanding how important the damn workflow is...if I was shooting a project for a client now, I would be wasting time on figuring things out.

Need to practice. I started to shoot a lot lately, figured pixel peeping and reading about shooting won't help me. Especially the pixel peeping part. After all...people watch videos from few feet distance, nobody cares for my macroblocks anyway :)

Will post the video when I get it done, I'll try to make the grade match the mood of the footage...

• watch the "working with sequences" tutorials

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters