Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Cinematics mattebox topic
  • 84 Replies sorted by
  • Standard for a 15mm system is 85mm. Looks like its around 95mm. Bummer

OK. Now slide it back on rods while it is opened for lens change, and try to close. Check clearence with rods.

So something tells me that it is higher for a reason.

• Just in case anyone is interested, this mattebox is not set to industry standards in terms of center of lens to center of rod. Standard for a 15mm system is 85mm. Looks like its around 95mm. Bummer. Fine if you have a adjustable base but if you start to use higher end equipment like cages for cameras, this probably will not work. I'm using a wooden camera cage and it's not even close. On my Wooden Camera rig it measures 85mm from rod to lens center. Another drawback of upgrading cameras I guess. Barely used this thing too!

@kronstadt Ha, just saw your old post! You ever get an answer till now?

• How many millimeters is the distance from the center of the ring to the level of the 15mm rods?

• @rockroadpix Nice. I was actually talking about the dimension of the front of the box and front to back. The Pro MB one I have is so damn big. I used it on my HVX200 and it was fine but it looks like the front of a damn panavision camera! Also, do you have a pic taken from directly on top? I'd love to see the relation of the rod mounting bracket to the back of the box. How far back or forward the rod bracket is from the back of the mattebox.

• @vicharris The Nun's knickers fit in like a dream when the outer ring (pictured to the right) is removed. Not only that, but larger lenses can fit once it's removed. I couldn't use it with the F3 and it's 85mm before, but now I can.

IMG_1030.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 3M
  • Does anyone have the measurements of the MB with flags on it? I'm trying to downsize from my big ass Pro MB.

• @rockroadpix I mean the two rods ON the mattebox.

Missing on Cinematics

arriderbox2pict17.jpg
    1198 x 717 - 90K
  • @rockroadpix Could you show a pic of your mod? Thanks

• @jazzroy ? I've been using this matte box for a while now and it is not much different from Chroszeil as to how it interacts with rods.

I will second the opinion about the filter holders. They aren't up to snuff with the rest of the build. I ended up buying nun's knickers for adjustment to different lens sizes. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/660866-REG/Genus_GL_GARD_NK_GARD_NK_Universal_Donut_Nun_s.html

Now it works great. All I had to do was unscrew the back ring from the matte box.

• this mattebox looks damn good, only thing that makes me think is the lack of extension rods: the mattebox cannot hang out but must rely within the lenght of the rig rods.

• @Sangye Thanks for this very helpful review.

• @QuickHitRecord Yes, build quality for the price is great. Swing-away design is great, and quite robust. French flags are very robust as well, but I do need to tighten down the resistance-adjusters periodically, or they'll start swinging around. That is an issue particularly with the bottom flag, but no other matte boxes at this price point even have a bottom flag to begin with, so I'm ready to forgive that.

I guess an integrated matte holder would have been preferred, but I've just glued one to a properly sized step-up ring, and always use that one with my lenses. Keeps me from having to carry around a bunch of fragile foam mattes, just a set of step-up rings which I anyway need to always have on me.

My only real gripe is that the filter holders aren't built to the same standard as the rest of the unit. They aren't exactly flimsy, but if anything does break, I expect it'll be one of them. I also am a little disappointed by how poorly the rotating filter moves, and how much noise it makes which rotating it.

Other than that it's great, and for the price I would whole-heartedly recommend it!

• @Sangye @nfnte Now that you guys have had these matteboxes for at least a month or so (and hopefully had a chance to use them), what are your impressions? Are you happy with the build quality and the way that it functions?

• I got an email from the seller. He confirmed that they changed the logo design on the mattebox. He said the old design would scratch or wear off and it wouldnt last. So they started engraving them.

• I ordered mine around August 10, and it arrived on Saturday.

• When did you buy yours Sangye? You may be right. It might be a new model.
    I sent the seller an email, but havent heard back yet.

• Here is a pic to show what I mean about the logo.

mattebox.JPG
    2048 x 1536 - 1M
  • @nfnte Mine looks the same as yours. Hadn't noticed that it was different from the images here though until just now. My guess is that this is the new model.

• I bought the Cinematics Professional mattebox and got it in the mail today. Im a bit concerned and a little disappointed. The logo is different. Every single picture I have ever seen had the "Cinematics Professional" logo in solid white lettering with a red "M". My mattebox logo is engraved into the flags and has no color, just the outline of the lettering engraved.
    I know this is maybe a small thing and doesnt affect the performance, but the reviews and the cool logo is one of the reasons I bought this. Aesthetics are big with me, Im building a rig decked out in red anodized parts and thought this mattebox would look killer on the rig.

Does anyone know if this is like an older model or maybe a newer model with a different logo design? Im a bit frustrated because like I said - Ive never seen the Cinematics mattebox with this style of logo. Its not what I wanted.

Heres a pic

• Sorry if this is in the wrong thread but; what about the filter stages in the Lanparte Matte box? Do they work OK? (or is there another chinese MB with good filter stages?)

I´m undecided as of yet wether to go with Lanparte / other CH manufacturer or to give the new Manfrotto Sympla MB a go... The latter has an interesting but seemingly untested design (can´t find any reviews of it).

• @Sangye

FIlter stage is the biggest flaws of most Chinese MBs.

• Mine just arrived yesterday, and I've already had a chance to use it on a shoot. My initial impression is that it's a solidly built piece of equipment, with a few design flaws. Worst are the rotating filter trays. Besides feeling like they'll break if I'm ever not gentle with them, the rotating action is very unsmooth. I mainly upgraded to this matte box to let me double up polarizing filters as a variable ND filter, but there's no way I could adjust it while shooting. It'd create far too much noise, and transition too suddenly.

In other ways, it's great. The flags are impressively well made, and the swing-away design is great for the price. I actually prefer attaching the mattes to my lens hood, so the lack of an internal matte is fine with me. I may sell this unit and buy a TrusMT instead, but I'm not sure yet. I really want to like this box. If only those filters rotated a bit more smoothly...

• Do I need to remove the bottom flag to do this?

Of course. Or you can get riser that you see above.

• Does anyone know if the Cinematics mattebox can complete clear the rods below? My preference is to be able to move the mattebox back towards the camera when needed and I'll only be able to do this if the rods move completely under the mattebox.

Do I need to remove the bottom flag to do this? Thanks for your time.

• When buying raiser, it's important to know whether you also need horizontal offset. Most raiser only allow vertical offset.