Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Cinematics mattebox topic
  • Just got this thing:

Initial impressions after playing with it for short:

I really like quality, all but filter frames and their side holding stuff are from metal.
    Feels really sturdy.
    Has four flags (top, bottom, and two side flags).
    Flags (and all mattebox :-) ) are much better than indian stuff, thicker, better made, internal sides are covered with dark velvet.
    Right now it feels like one of the best gear purchases.

I'll later try to review it in more detail, but after more real work.

Btw they no longer have this awful screws heads on top of inside velvet on flags, now they use proper screws with flat heads that are below velvet.

381243596_752.jpg
    1024 x 683 - 70K
    381243609_299.jpg
    1024 x 683 - 71K
    381326305_199.jpg
    1024 x 683 - 65K
    381326306_535.jpg
    1024 x 683 - 95K
  • 84 Replies sorted by

Must be back on deals soon

s58.jpg
    488 x 378 - 32K
  • I noticed a boost on the views of my Cinematics video. I guess this thread helped! Thanks guys!

• But I'd definitely like to find a mattebox with Wooden Camera or Bright Tangerine build quality

Let's make proper topic and discuss what exactly you understand under "Wooden Camera or Bright Tangerine build quality", ok?

• @vitaliy_Kiselev And I didn't even write about "never buying again a single screw from these Indian copyists."

But I'd definitely like to find a mattebox with Wooden Camera or Bright Tangerine build quality (not RedRock, they're products are hit or miss), at a lower price.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev, I think he was referring to my post, in which I mentioned the MB7 model before I start a proper topic on it.

• @fotosiamo

How about to ignore fantasies? As whole post and previous ones seems to made to damage product reputation, just for fun of it.

I will never buy again a single screw from these Indian copyists

Cinematics has nothing to do with India, and it is NOT copy of anything.

It is topic for discussion of product, not about ill fantasies and telling how good are ones who bough, make topic for it.

• I will never buy again a single screw from these Indian copyists. Once bought a Vocas MB and happy for years.

• If it's like the Adorama's Impact's knock off of the RedRock Micro, I'll pass. That one's heavy and cumbersome, built with way too many plasticky parts, has plastic trays, and also has rods that block dumb side (AC's side) for follow focus.

• I'm not going to post links, but if you check my YouTube or Vimeo profile, you'll find the video about the CineCity model. Virtually a bluprint of the RedRock Micro, at like 1/4 of the price. Accepts 4x5.65 filters.

• Yeah, I need one that I can scale up for when I use proper Cinema lenses (Cookes, ARRIs, etc.) on REDs and Alexas in addition to the smaller cameras and lenses.

• Yes unfortunately it's only 4x4. Works well with the 18mm on a crop sensor camera, no vignetting. I have worked with a RedRock Micro Mattebox and this one is superior in quality. Really nice Mattebox.

• Well, too bad this is not a 4x5.6 mattebox

• Oh and by the way, that riser is really strong and totally worth the price. I got it earlier this year. I'm really impressed by the quality, doesn't feel cheap at all.

• Hey! That's actually another of my videos! [..] I own other models, my favorite one is the CINEMATICS. It's built like a tank and the construction is way above all the others.

• That'd be great! Would make a great bundle, especially if you can get both for $350 or less (crosses fingers for a figure closer to the $299)

• I think not. I can talk to them both about price and riser.

• Oh also. I noticed that on Amazon, this matte box is going for $299. Any difference between that one and the $350 one that's on here?

http://www.amazon.com/Cinematics-Matte-Filter-Trays-5dmkii/dp/B00DSK3FR4

• @vitaly_Kiselev Any chance you can get a bundle for the Cinematics with that adjustable riser? I think it'd be so much more useful.

And I'd love to hear from anyone in regards to better filter holders that can work w/ this matte box. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting this very soon.

Thanks!

• I've been eyeing this matte box for a bit now. In regards to vertical adjustment, Cinematics does make an adjustable riser just for this matte box:

http://www.amazon.com/Cinematics-Matte-Baseplate-Adjustable-Highest/dp/B00E37DXWI/ref=sr_1_50?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1416035485&sr=1-50

• @catscratch - let me know when you find good metal holders for this.

• I finally got around to purchasing this mattebox after much research and deliberation. I ultimately chose it for it's all metal construction and the fact it had a bottom flag. Living in Australia there was always a good chance that I would be shooting by the water in bright conditions :-) so the bottom flag was essential in my opinion.

Here's a summary of my feelings about the box:

Pros:

• Metal construction
    • Bottom Flag
    • Velvet linings on the flags to combat internal reflections
    • Good price
    • Excellent packaging, fast delivery and great communication by Cinematics
    • Solid construction
    • RH post that secures the swing away bracket
    • Wide enough for most wide angle lenses (no vignetting on 17mm with speedbooster on BMCC)

Cons:

• Lens not centred (too low) with BMCC and Veiwfactor Contineo cage and rod assembly (fixed with the purchase of an adjustable 15mm rod riser turned upside down - extra $60 including two 2" long rods. I dropped the box down about 15mm on the second set of short rods.)
    • Foam donuts (fixed by wife making a set of black velvet nun's knickers with elasticised ends - total cost $4.50)
    • Plastic filter holders (will fix with purchase of suitable size metal replacements. - haven't done this yet. Does anyone out there know of a suitable replacement?)

All in all. this mattebox (with mods) will serve me well for years to come (IMHO the best mattebox out there for under $1000)

• I bought one through the deal (Thanks Vitaliy!) and I've used the matte box a few time. I think they used the wrong length bolt on the rail mount, because the included one stripped some of the threads out, but I bought a longer one, and it's been holding solid with that. The filter holders are plastic and could stand to be improved, but are workable. The flags and frame of the box are all top notch IMHO. The biggest thing I think it's lacking is a height adjustment. I have an adjustable baseplate, but even that isn't always enough, depending on what camera I'm mounting, and that also can screw up the follow focus' ability to connect gears in some circumstances. Overall I'm happy with the purchase, and would only upgrade if I end up needing both follow focus and filtration at the same time a lot.

• Yep, there's only 3/16" clearence from the rods to the bottom flag mount. So that's 4.76mm that could be gained but that's it. You could drop the bottom flag rod and probably make it. It's a tradeoff but one they should let customers know about. There's many matteboxes in the industry that open just like this one but are set at the right height. Once again, it's great for DSLR work and adjustable basis, but not so good for any set base plates.

So up for sale it goes!