Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • @fancydancer Yes, but we'd have to get our actors / musicians to do everything 4% slower!
  • People wanting 25P just speed up your 24P footage by 4%. Easy :-)
  • At this point I am going to look for a GH2 body! does anybody know a good source? I gave mine back last winter because of 24p since I am in PAL
  • >New PTool will be released only after we'll move forum and domain to VPS.<<br />
    @Vitaliy

You´ve already moved to VPS, right? Is there a chance to get the new Ptool today or tomorrow now? Sorry for being a bit impatient, but you promised so much good things so that it is hard to wait...
  • "B cam work"
    But yes, broadcast and GH2 as main cam will need "proper" 25p... as well as higher bitrates and probably 10bit...
    And now i feel like im spamming ;)
  • @Ptchaw and daihard - If you would like to use the GH2 for broadcast work in PAL countries, you require 25p - 24p is NOT an option. That's why people are 'spamming'.
  • I 2nd that... people need to realize that its been asked for, programers are working on it... It will happen IF ITS POSSIBLE. Just please stop spamming that request.
    Whats so bad for B-footage to be conformed to 25p? I live in PAL land but, prefer steps in bitrate and 10bit to be highest on the priority list.
  • @Donnie88 If there was an update, it would already be here. Half the posts on this site are just questions asking about 25p. Be patient.

For now, apart from for B footage, what is it about 25p that conforming 24p can't do for you?
  • I know all the things about HDMI, but the GH2 and also the AF100 HDMI output is only 8 bit 4:2:0.

Please read the hdmi-thread here.
  • @disneytoy Hdmi supports 10, 12, 16 bit per channel beginning with the spec 1.3. The 8 bit per channel is an absolut minimum allowed.
  • disneytoy:
    HDMI above version 1.2 supports more than 8-bit per colour:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_1.4
  • The latest version can even do 4k
  • AVCHD is 8 bits codec.
  • HDMI is not limited to 8bit.
  • I have a question regarding 8 bit banding. Are any of the other cameras, F3, AF100 etc 8bit? Do they have banding as well? Is the only solution 8+ bit?

And am I correct HDMI is limited to 8 bit. So no HDMI recorder will receive a signal greater than 8 bit via HDMI, even if I records it in 12 bit. No different than converting a jpeg to 16 bit in Photoshop. You don't gain anything.
  • No 10 bit 4:2:2 hdmi out so far...
  • If you want best quality GH2 uncompressed 10 bit 4:2:2 video go here http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hyperdeckshuttle/ firstly must tested with new VK firmware...

mk
  • Great news here each days ! Thks ya all. Any idea or advice for a firmwrae limitation ,
    if i buy a GH2 now here in france should i verifiy the firmware version ?

• @fatpig @Vitaliy_Kiselev

File Spanning? There is no break between files - (Time Lost)?
    Sorry to ask easy question- my GH2 isn't here yet ;.-(
  • Lovely work Vitaly.

Any updates on 1080/25p? Us Europeaners are itchin for it
  • """ My understanding is that GH2 supports exFAT and SDXC. You can check how it works.
    But in no way it will allow easy >2Gb files (MJOEG, for example).
    As all code is 32bit and requires special handing for such files. """

Yes it's seem a real advance! Exfat, aka fat64 specif:
    Max file size 64 ZiB, 512 TiB recommended
    Max volume size 64 ZiB, 512 TiB recommended
    Http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

So the 2m39 (if i good remembering) limit has completly bypassed, IF you buy sdxc card (sdhc will be formated in fat32 partition).
    For the hacked-mjpeg it will be very useful, but how about r/w speeding..?

For the moment i have found only one card that can match the 'old' sdhc class 10 speed... Panasonic...
    Http://panasonic.net/avc/sdcard/information/sdxc.html

All others can reach up to 25mbit/s (133x if i am correct...)
  • "Or could be just made up by some to make them feel their make/model is better than others? lol"

Who knows...I use(d) 2 USA/China made GH13's and two Japanese made GH13's...all with same hack parameters. Hard to quantify but I prefer the image out of the latter bodies. Then there's the more relevant issue of quality control. One Chinese GH1 recently deceased...

I shoot a lot in remote overseas locations so myth or no myth I'm not taking any chances with my GH2's...

Getting off-topic so remove this if necessary...
  • Thanks Vitaliy Kiselev is the best!
  • Hope you will do the same for the gf2. but it very good project you got here even if you don t!
  • @fatpig
    My understanding is that GH2 supports exFAT and SDXC. You can check how it works.
    But in no way it will allow easy >2Gb files (MJOEG, for example).
    As all code is 32bit and requires special handing for such files.