Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • There's some promising 720p stuff appearing on Vimeo - can't wait to see some 1080 stuff
  • Pal people it's thinking even about a good 50i, if 25p it's not possible!
  • Excellent!!!!

No idea why I'm saying this... but release the hounds!!!!! Get'em!!!!!!
  • Enough waiting, i'm getting my GH2 i sold a few months ago back again. Really need 25p though.
  • Spasibo, VK!
  • I'll be happy with 50i (PsF). Counting off the days till my "Made in Japan not China" GH2+14mm arrives from Taiwan...

The recent AVCHD setting developments are great news...well done!
  • Any sort of info regarding max recording size? (4 gig limit) Is this still going to be an issue for MJPEG (I understand that 30min is fixed - but don't know if the 4gig limit is impossible to fix)
  • Opposite i guess. Seems 30min can be fixed but 4gb should be harder since that is related to filesystem.
  • > Counting off the days till my "Made in Japan not China" GH2+14mm arrives from Taiwan…

Anything wrong with the GH2s from China? They're just assembled there, right
  • @vitaliy

Sorry for beeing a bit OT but what should be the official name for the GH2 with the hack now? I would suggest "GH23" or "GH2VK". What´s your idea?

VK: GH2 Stalin Edition :-)
  • Theres nothing wrong with "china made" models...its a silly internet myth.
  • It could be there is a difference, but it could also be sample variation.
  • Or could be just made up by some to make them feel their make/model is better than others? lol
    Anyways...
  • @alcomposer: 4 gig limit can never be hacked, because the file format that GH2 uses, does not work with files larger than 4 gb. But anyway, why does it bother you? as long as file spanning works, theres nothing to worry about, right? :)
  • @fatpig
    My understanding is that GH2 supports exFAT and SDXC. You can check how it works.
    But in no way it will allow easy >2Gb files (MJOEG, for example).
    As all code is 32bit and requires special handing for such files.
  • Hope you will do the same for the gf2. but it very good project you got here even if you don t!
  • Thanks Vitaliy Kiselev is the best!
  • "Or could be just made up by some to make them feel their make/model is better than others? lol"

Who knows...I use(d) 2 USA/China made GH13's and two Japanese made GH13's...all with same hack parameters. Hard to quantify but I prefer the image out of the latter bodies. Then there's the more relevant issue of quality control. One Chinese GH1 recently deceased...

I shoot a lot in remote overseas locations so myth or no myth I'm not taking any chances with my GH2's...

Getting off-topic so remove this if necessary...
  • """ My understanding is that GH2 supports exFAT and SDXC. You can check how it works.
    But in no way it will allow easy >2Gb files (MJOEG, for example).
    As all code is 32bit and requires special handing for such files. """

Yes it's seem a real advance! Exfat, aka fat64 specif:
    Max file size 64 ZiB, 512 TiB recommended
    Max volume size 64 ZiB, 512 TiB recommended
    Http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

So the 2m39 (if i good remembering) limit has completly bypassed, IF you buy sdxc card (sdhc will be formated in fat32 partition).
    For the hacked-mjpeg it will be very useful, but how about r/w speeding..?

For the moment i have found only one card that can match the 'old' sdhc class 10 speed... Panasonic...
    Http://panasonic.net/avc/sdcard/information/sdxc.html

All others can reach up to 25mbit/s (133x if i am correct...)
  • Lovely work Vitaly.

Any updates on 1080/25p? Us Europeaners are itchin for it
  • @fatpig @Vitaliy_Kiselev

File Spanning? There is no break between files - (Time Lost)?
    Sorry to ask easy question- my GH2 isn't here yet ;.-(
  • Great news here each days ! Thks ya all. Any idea or advice for a firmwrae limitation ,
    if i buy a GH2 now here in france should i verifiy the firmware version ?

• If you want best quality GH2 uncompressed 10 bit 4:2:2 video go here http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hyperdeckshuttle/ firstly must tested with new VK firmware...

mk
  • No 10 bit 4:2:2 hdmi out so far...
  • I have a question regarding 8 bit banding. Are any of the other cameras, F3, AF100 etc 8bit? Do they have banding as well? Is the only solution 8+ bit?

And am I correct HDMI is limited to 8 bit. So no HDMI recorder will receive a signal greater than 8 bit via HDMI, even if I records it in 12 bit. No different than converting a jpeg to 16 bit in Photoshop. You don't gain anything.