Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • @kavadni Previous angles were 170, 127, and 90 degrees. Should be similar, if not exactly the same, this time around.

• I really like how much extra room you have to crop or stabilize from shooting 2716x1440/24 to a 1920x1080 project:

resChart-crop.png
    2716 x 1440 - 36K
  • GoPro has the best "hold" music ever! I have to find out what music this is. I almost don't want them to pick up the phone.

• Ive no idea really, just a hacking thought... why couldn't 2x hero 3 cameras shoot side by side in 4K and splice together for 25fps or 30fps ??

• @fosterchen

Check out Ragecam or ebay, there are options.

• The hack I'd like to see would be adding small c-mount fast zoom/prime lenses to it...

• Has there been any report on the size of the sensor?

Also what FOV do 'Ultra Wide, Medium, Narrow' equate to?

• @danyyyel

The GoPro wouldn't be my first choice to shoot a movie with. In fact it really only excels at one thing. It shoots close up action better than just about anything else. It is not that hard to make a single purpose device like this be relatively inexpensive. It would be a whole different thing to make a Pro video camera this inexpensive.

• Again another lesser smaller camera company like blackmagic that shows off the price/performance ratio of todays sensor and imaging asic compared to what the fat established ones are selling at. Some would defend price of the Canon C300/C100 !!!!!!!

• 4K has two frame rate options for the two different aspect ratios (16:9 and 17:9). Same with some other higher res settings. May be a bandwidth limitation, so they thought of a useful workaround.

• I have a feeling that the GOPro 3 mounted on the GH3 will give some really cool perspective to action shots. The go pro probably weighs next to nothing but it offers so much versatility.

I will just look at the GoPro 3 as the GH3's 120 FPS mode. Not bad for a $399 add on.

• It looks like there is also a 4K @ 15 FPS option for NTSC customers. That will be good for low motion shots I suspect.

• Most interesting thing I see (beyond all the other insane specs!) is in the White Balance section. They have auto and three color temp presets, and then they have "Cam Raw"....

• 4K 12fps is actually really cool for sport people who want to pick out a bunch of photos of themselves in action. I can't think of any affordable alternative for POV photography in high speed situations. It's a niche, but paying attention to niches has brought GoPro a long way.

• I wonder if there is an allotment of GoPro Black's headed to retail stores? That might be a way to get it quicker.

• 45mbs...that's cool.

Didn't hear anything about in-camera stabilization. Probably not in this version.

• @BlueBomberTurbo Thanks for the link. 64GB would give roughly 3 hrs recording.

• @mpgxsvcd They just said "your order will be delayed." I guess I missed the boat.

• @stonebat

What estimated ship date did they tell you when you ordered yours?

• GoPro is recommending SanDisk Ultra 32GB Class 10 Micro SDHC. Looking for a deal while waiting for the preorder :)

• Anyone recommendation for Micro SDHC card? With 45Mbps, 1 hr recording would require around 20GB space.

• They have put the ordering back up. Shipping in mid November now. I ordered one. I would like to mount it on a GH3 with the 35-100mm F2.8 or 25mm F1.4. That way I can get good 1080p @ 60 FPS video with a tight shot and good 720p @ 120 FPS wide angle at the same time. All while controlling both cameras from my phone.

That sounds like a good combination to me.

• Initial Batch is sold out already. I started to order one. Went for a quick run and they were sold out when I got back. Shucks.

• I think the GoPro boys are happy with the Launch.

557700_10151251872326919_1413265417_n.jpg
    480 x 448 - 62K