Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • I could find a couple good uses for a GP1... If I see another one for $75 or less I will bite

• @Myzter Nice. A waterproof remote control.

• @Rambo thanks for the chart. I have to say, it is tempting and I could even see using the 12fps in a large hall for crowd shots at 4K. I was just on a shoot where one of these things started beeping when the battery ran out.

• GoPro HERO3: Black Edition Overview

• @Vitaliy What's the alternative to GP3 that is bundled with a waterproof case, a few mounts, and a remote control and supports WiFi, mobile app, 1080p60/50/48/30/25/24, and 720p120 at $400? DIY?

• @Hallvalla

That was one of the best videos I have seen so far. What I got out of it was.

1. My GoPro 1 is going into the garbage. It is worthless now that the GP3 is out. Maybe I can find a sucker to give me a few dollars for it.

2. 1080p @ 60 FPS looks great.

3. 1080p @ 30 FPS appeared to be pro-tune and looks good for editing.

4. 720p @ 120 FPS is why I am buying the camera. However, there is a lot of aliasing there just like my GP1 has.

5. 1440p is cool but not really that much better than 1080p.

6. GoPro is making a mint off of the GP3.

Why would anyone buy anything but the Black edition? The other ones seem to be missing so much.

• Big interest in new GoPro shows that you can make and sell just dumb body, without big LCD, without flashes, etc. With cheap Sony FP batteries.

But one that can make 4K 60fps and 1080p 240fps and record them into 1.8" or even 2.5" SSDs.

• Nice footage here:

Didn't really need to see a comparison with an old version, but some good footage to look at. Also, they enabled the download (of the edit).

• German review of the Black Edition, don't know how they got it, but here it is!

EDIT: Apparently it was a GoPro event. So many cameras.

• Stonebat, can you review it.

Nope, not at this point in time, I won't receive a HD3 till Nov some time, they are still being certified in Aus and some other countries outside US . I've had them before release in the past but not this time. Standby for plenty of reviews though, all of the attendees at the launch received cameras to take home and were treated to a Land , Sea or Sky excursion ( and plenty of bubbly) the following day to test their cameras on. I'm also monitoring my forum for trusted members that have them already, so post results/info as I have them.

• @Rambo Yeap you are correct. You the GoPro expert. Did you place a preorder? Can you please review it?

• Condensed comparison chart of all 3 cameras

image.jpg
    857 x 1860 - 335K
  • 2.7k is ultra wide only (170 degrees) and is 16:9 ( in 30p, 25p) (or 17:9 in 24p) not 4:3

1440p mode is 4:3 only

• 2.7K mode can use only ultra wide fov. 190 or 170 degrees fov.

• Ugh. 4:3. How is the lens on this thing, anyway?

• @DrDave @mpgxsvcd 2.7K takes 4:3 aspect ratio. Use 2x anamorphic lens :)

• @BlueBomberTurbo I can't believe I missed that yesterday. The search function must not have got it during the time I was looking.

• @DrDave

You are in luck it does 2.7K @ 24 FPS and 1080p(AKA 2K) @ 60, 48, and 24 FPS.

• I would buy one if it did 2K at 24p, why not? Maybe someone can take the lens off and make an adapter for m43 lenses. I would pay the price of the camera to get an interchangeable lens system.

• I'm waiting for Black Friday deal :)

• You've used GP1. I've never used any GP. So you must be knowing what you are doing. Have fun~!

After watching this vimeo video captured with GP2, I've been thinking about getting one. Glad GP3 is here!!!

• Looks like Best Buy has a link up for the GoPro3 Black as well.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/GoPro+-+HERO3+HD+Flash+Memory+Camcorder+-+Black/6571689.p?id=1218757813679&skuId=6571689

I wonder if GoPro will ship from their stock first? Or it will it be like Panasonic and the smallest most obscure shops will ship first.

• @stonebat

Yes I looked at all of those. However, they are simply too big to effectively mount on the GH3 hot shoe and still shoot stable hand held video with both. The GP3 still might be to big/heavy for it. However, it is now the best option if anything can do it.

I really wanted to cover the wide angle through telephoto at F2.8 and still have the option for F1.4 at about 25mm. All with 1080p @ 60 FPS and 720p @ 120 FPS and wifi for all video. The GH3 + GoPro is the only thing that can give me that and still retain decent quality.

I know that the GoPro video will not look as good as the GH3. That is fine I won't use the GoPro footage as much. It will still be nice to have a second wide angle camera on it to get those unexpected moments.

I guess it is all about flexibility. I think this combination is going to give me flexibility that simply was not possible before.

• @mpgxsvcd Did you consider LX7 or RX100 or G5 as B-cam? G5 is only $500.