Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @moviearmada: thanks a lot for your comparison. Very nice set up and way to compare, with one exception maybe: i think youtube due to its harsh compression is not the best platform to compare your very good work effectively.

• @jesh @peternap: regarding the iso bug: to my knowledge you dont have to stick to the 2nd row. You have to chose an option of the 2nd row first, before you swap to the first row. Then the numbers of the first row should be noise free and un-bugged. If you choose an option of the first row right away, you get the noise.

• @Sangye Perhaps you recorded this footage in low light but using my Avisynth script shows that none of the subject matter falls into the dangerously low luminance zone. I think you shot this subject matter in the best possible way.

I would be interested to know what ISO you used?

BLtV_Sangye _3.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    BLtV_Sangye _4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @Zaven13 Valkyrie is good too but I'm not seeing any advantages to using it over AN Nebula with what I'm shooting at the moment. In a few situations I've seen AN Nebula maintain a higher I-Frame than Valkyrie for what its worth, but subjectively the image is the same, and in post work there is no real difference. I have also been shooting an awful lot of lowlight footage (more out of necessity than choice) and AN Nebula gives the best performance I've seen from a longer GOP setting. However, thats more likely down to the look you get using it in that situation, and how I feel about that look more than any real measurable technical reason. I'd still say you can't beat a GOP1 running CBR-like in lowlight. When it comes to GOP3 settings, I'm still going to reach for GOLGOP3-13 at the moment, which is great in both lowlight and for general shooting.

• Took a risk this morning and now glad I did, shooting a high-paid gig with a major Napa winery on an experimental setting - Boom!

Wish I could share some of the footage, but these frame grabs should give an idea. Raw ungraded footage, Smooth -2-2-2-2, Voigtlander 25mm f/.95 and Pentax 55mm f/2.

00029.MTS.Still002.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    00029.MTS.Still001.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    00006.MTS.Still001.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    00000.MTS.Still001.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • I shot an interview today using Nick Driftwood's AN 444 Soft matrix, with the Olympus f1.8 75mm prime MFT glass. Password is "LadyPart" (case sensitive).

I really like this patch for skin tone and interviews. Thanks Mr @Driftwood, and also to VK for making this possible.

• Will be trying out Intravenus v1 tomorrow. @Driftwood, thanks for the time and effort for these great patches

• I have just uploaded a small settings 444 Clash/comparison.

Thanks to Personal View, Driftwood and bkmcwd. Hope you guys enjoy it. Made with a "soft" lens, NOT a lumix "sharp" lens. Please check the differences. This is a WIDE SHOT, so its a good comparison for WIDE SHOTS, for close ups or Skin Tones please don't mind this test.

I will try to run some tests on Lumix lens later. ADVICE: Run your own tests, it's definitely the best way for you to know what works for your project.

• @Stray. I am a fan of AN 6GOP Nebula. I was wondering if you have tried any of the Valkyrie settings and what you thought about it?

• @driftwood... hello!

wondering,,, if there p and b frame scaling for BOOM?

or is this matrix only 4 intra?

• @peternap Thank you. I guess ill try using other ISO options. It is such a shame since the native ones are the ones with the bug.

• @Jesh I loked at it and there is noise. I expect it's BUG noise and I stick to the second ISO row to avoid it. My experience with AN Drewnet soft is that it's extremely low noise and works well with sharp lenses as well as soft.

• @kavadni oops, I think I went from 200 to 160, but the fact that i even wrote that makes me question myself. I figured that you guys look at a lot of hacked footage and would be able to tell the difference between noise with and without the bug. I am just wondering if the snapshot looks like it has the amount of noise that the drewnet patch would give a daylight shot at 160 iso? to me it looks a lot worse than what I have seen some of you guys getting with the patch. or any gh2 patch to be honest.

• Great stuff I look forward to trying them out. I'm glad to know that the deathchart is still getting use. The thing that gets me about the look of sharp2 is that yes its softer, but not that much softer. The resulting look seems to make the detail in a shot pop more than it does with other settings (this is also true in AN soft, but its not as dramatic). I particulary notice this when shooting people, close ups against neutral but not blank backgrounds. It looks amazing, the first setting in a long while that makes it feel like I'm using a different camera.

• @Stray Yes for sure mate. Cluster v8 will explore sharper more powerful settings in Long GOP structures. Each will be tested on your excellent colour chart of death - used by all my tests - which has seen other popular settings fail or produce very poor dpb (decoded picture buffer) problems. ;-).

• @driftwood So IV is not for wide shots just like BOOM!? Thx

• @B3Guy Intravenus v1 is just the Intra version of what was released in Cluster v7 versions before. All are based on the extreme matrices of Chris's. The Smooth Cinema setting is another of his matrices which will also be offered soon. If you want one single setting there's a few settings out there who concentrate on one look.

Boom is wildly experimental - no apologies for it. The learning curve has been beneficial and in the future who knows could provide the basis of future GH3 stuff.

• @driftwood Are there any plans to release a sharp version of Intravenus ? As it goes I've been shooting with the AN Nebula sharp2 a lot recently with old and soft lenses and I'm in love with it.

• I'll take a look later.

• @driftwood Certainly NTSC, pal does not happen in the frame 29.970. ntsc-1080i, to be 29.970, and the result is exactly 30, so there should be.

• Mirrorkisser Still writing it up...

• @driftwood

Intra Patched Status Update Request

Hey, I'm a bit unclear on where the intra/boom stuff is headed. Do you still have plans to work up a general use intra patch with cbrandin-based matrices? Both AN settings (BOOM and IV) are listed as experimental and for mid-closeup shots only.

• @driftwood: please excuse my slow brain, but what is the main goal of IV? Is it based on the 444 matrix? For which situations is it intended? Thank you very much!! Trying it out right away

• PAL / NTSC ? Can you try and reinstall and ensure youre using latest ptools. Can you check HBR mode.

• @driftwood Intravenus v1 - all-I except 720p - seti.zip 1080i does not work well, the frame doubles the frame rate for some reason 30 frames per second, and should be 29.970. Even sandisk extreme 95MB / s 64 gb does not work, the video recording is terminated at the fourth second.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions