Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @xenocide38

If you are not sure, then don't publish your findings. You will risk misrepresenting yourself, and the product concerned.

• @xeoncide: I found your test not so bad. Of course it is limited, doesnt take all possible circumstances in account in which a hack really does the difference. but it takes a look at your situation. And i like how laid back you react to some people shooting with sharp ammo. I dont know why so many discussions have to bring a bad personal touch. People take talking about a camera as a personal assault. Expanding your ego on cameras, hacks, cars will make you feel under personal attack all the time, so whats the point ffs...

• @Mirrorkisser

Think not everyone attaches his ego to the bonnet of his car, or dick measures all the time. It is called integrity. if you are testing an equipment, and putting forth your opinion for public consideration, then make sure you do yourself some respect. It's because of persons like you who love "laid back attitudes", that there is now a proliferation of people who can make a living off writing fake reviews for books etc

• 1 Driftwood Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' - 6 GOP Nebula '444 2 Driftwood Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' - 6 GOP Nebula '444 Soft 3 Apocalypse_Now_-Cluster_v7_DREWnet_12_15_GOP'444_Soft'matrix 4Apocalypse_Now-Cluster_v7_DREWnet_12_15_GOP'444_Sharp'_matrix

• Does anybody ( @driftwood ) know how the Olympus 4/3 (not m4/3) lenses do behave in terms of extra sharpening in camera?

They do communicate with the camera body and there is a bit of colour correction and contrast enhancement, but I didn't see any over-sharpening (but I haven't done any pixelpeeper test).

Or in other words: Would using the AN-soft with the Oly lenses match them closer to the Tokina 11-16 using AN-sharp?

• @kazuo: well its because of people like you that there are religious wars in the world, racism etc. Jesus, cut the bullshit. The internet serves everybody. Not everybody must like what you like. Everybody can go to the sources he likes. You can give two shits about xeoncide if you like. You choose your preachers. I dont go to a huge cineplex cinema when i want to watch Vigo or Vertov. I dont go to a church when i want to have an excessive party. When i want to know about hacks etc. i ask Driftwood or Vitaly, because of their huge knowledge and not the cashier of my supermarket. If you have the quality to distinguish who has a competence and who not then you dont have to buy any fake review shit. Internet is pluralism.

i dont know if you have followed discussions recently at phil bloom, eoshd and how they are all called. People like you tend to throw dirt all the time, flame nonstop, because they are unable to remain on a rational level. You have to make everything personal. People like you cant distinguish between facts and opinions. And after a while nobody likes to go to those forums anymore.

• @shirap Looks good. Interesting look - reminds me of something, maybe a look somewhere between film and well shot tv. Can't place it. Actually as I write this I realize that it seems like the skin tone/texture is similar to TV show Breaking Bad. Well done. Also reminds me of one of the early shots driftwood did using early cdbrandin 444 that showed a close-up of a woman---that too had simliar skin tone/texture. This Apocalypse Now stuff is pretty damn cool. Thanks for posting video.

• Shot a music vid on AN 444 today.... Unfortunately the band won't let me release stills until the video is released, but the footage looks fantastic. The cool part is that I shot side by side with an AF100, and it was cool to have the director and band marvel at what was coming out of "that little cam" (GH2).

We did a lot of overcranking and 60p footage looks top notch... even stuff shot with Panny glass.

Until this patch is topped. It will be my main sidearm.

• Here comes some more video tests:

• Hey @shian did you use Intravenus as beta-tester or one of the Cluster settings (Neb/Drew?).?

• Whatever the last AN 444 matrix beta test was (preset "j") that we were given before IV beta. It was a last minute gig, so it happened to be loaded on my cam as I grabbed my gear, and ran out the door.

I was a last minute replacement - just a hired Camera gun, and Gaffer for a DP friend. I liked the band, and video concept... and getting paid doesn't suck. It turned out to be one of the most fun shoots I've ever been on. Plus it was kinda cool: the "Mad Men" crew was on a tech scout, and they saw how much fun the video was, and decided to hang out for a while. I guess the building we shot in is one of their main locations.

• walk in the woods test with Mir 10-A lens

• @ shirap: looks really awesome. Do you like soft or sharp better? Maybe my eyes are not schooled enough, but i hardly see a difference. Both look terrific! And the music is excellent and fits really good.

• Does anybody here also use canon fd glass? By the explanations on top "sharp" would probably the best choice. I still like soft, too and still have to look hard to see a difference to sharp. Maybe the real difference appears when i start grading?

• So yeah no Sedna 444? Or not needed/wont apply? :P

• I am really looking forward to trying out these new patches. I have been using the hacks way back to the GH1 and find they are amazing. I am seeing an interesting look with the Apocalypse patch, a good option for people to have, but the softness of a lot of what's been posted so far doesn't look film like to me, it just looks soft. I just want to offer a different view on sharpness from someone who has helped post movies that have shown in theaters around the world. I do not believe sharpness is what imparts a video look at all, I think it's the color tones, the dynamic range, the way a scene is lit and other factors. I think a really well-timed film print-as opposed to the watered down el cheapo prints of the past thirty years--usually had far more detail, color, SHARPNESS, than most modern day filmmakers can imagine. Apocalypse Now the movie has immense amount of color AND detail that if we seek a less sharp image we are not moving toward but away from. I think soft, flat, drained of color and detail has become what indie filmmakers assume is as the "film" look and I think that is a problem. For me and I believe the cinematic experience of the audience (as opposed to the sensibility of the filmmaker) a softer image is in all cases a worse image. Some very sharp lenses have issues that render them less pleasing for other reasons but a high level of detail is in my book a very good thing. My two cents, I value this forum a lot and have learned a lot and just want to add a different POV on this latest patch, which I look forward to trying out.

• @Mirrorkisser -- I use mostly FD Glass. The 50 f1.2 is good and I have a 20-35 f3.5 that is pretty sharp. I do have some primes @24, 28, and 100mm but I can't remember the last time I used them.

The FD glass I have is pretty much pristine, however I can really tell the difference between this and EF (L) glass when I shoot into the sun.

I do have an adapter for EF lens with a manual iris but this hasn't worked out well.

I'm reading this thread wondering if this patch is good for my sweet old FD lens as well. Sedna worked out well for me with just the odd drop out on Duracell Class 10 32GB cards.

• @bkmwcd Your new setting looks stunning. Please people give the new GOP3 setting from bkmwcd a tryout - best 3 GOP 24p Ive ever seen - its downloadable under my settings (see bkmwcd section) on page one.

• @driftwood: @bkmwcd:

For which situations is a gop3 and for which situations a gop6 more useful if you leave aside the size of the files? Longer Gop-structures have sometimes problems with fast movement?

• @Mirrorkisser

And you are as your name suggests, a pompous narcissist. Kiss my arse

• what's going on here, we're all buddies, so please stay calm.

• @Mirrorkisser: Plz just ignore kazuo, cause i don't want to read his stupid insults!

• @botha: You are right :-)

• @driftwood

Many thanks always mate! :-) As you also noticed, I am going to improve except 24p after this.

@shirap

I love your works! :-)

@Mirrorkisser

"For which situations is a gop3 and for which situations a gop6 more useful if you leave aside the size of the files?"

It is just dependent on your liking. In the settings of GOP3, signs that a noise appears are close to Intra, and since the upper I frame size can be enlarged, I have stuck. However, settings of GOP6 are also very rational.

"Longer Gop-structures have sometimes problems with fast movement?"

I think that it is a liking difference rather than there is a problem, IMHO. :-)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions