Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sony NEX-VG900 Full Frame camera topic
  • 118 Replies sorted by
  • Hoping for some vimeo footage/better compressed stuff, but actually like what I see so far. Camera's super ugly, though. lol.

• This looks great!

• @RRRR It has buttons for focus.Iris.shutter speed.gain.zebra.peaking.AE and a "custom" button.

How many buttons do you need for run and gun filmaking? :-D

Even my inferior VG20 has enough button controls. I only go into menu for zebra peaking and one touch focus.

Simplicity is efficiency

Shame the VG900 has only one SD port ahh well.

• @Mimirsan; easy access to fps, color profiles, iso, white balance (manual) e.t.c. is often crucial. On a shoot, where the b-cam was a vg20 (might have been a vg10 when I think about it) the guy (who was using it daily) couldn´t set the kelvin manually nor do any adjustments to the color profiles... (we didn´t have time to wait for it either) The b-cam footage ended up pretty useless because of that / thankfully we had enough from the a-cam. Simplicity is OK, but not when it leads to stupid. Then it becomes the complete opposite of efficiency. A dedicated menu controller / joystick would make it a lot more intuitive to use; and to not have to re-toggle when you´ve selected the wrong thing in the menu.

Few controls might work ok for those who want to avoid settings; run a lot on automatic. For those who want access, it´s no good.

I have an SD90, which is extremely simple and the menu is reasonably obvious but even with that I found the supposed simplicity a nuisance. Thing is that there is often some strange logic at work in the creation of "simple" menus; things are not where you would expect them to be, and some things are always over-looked.

• Yep, I fail to understand why only one SD slot, as this is best camera to put two or more :-)

• Here's a video preview which features the A99, however the last five minutes looks at the VG900. On the positive side, it seems to be able to mount a variety of lenses, but once again they forgot to add a built-in ND filter option.

• @RRRR Sounds it might of been a VG20 (as it has no colour profiles) but kelvin is easy enough to find in the settings.

Funny thing is that I have the very same criticism towards the much loved BMCC in that it has some basic physical buttons but still requires you to go into the world of onscreen touchscreen interface to do certain things. Yet it doesnt get much flack for it.

Even the "second coming" has ergonomic issues. ;-)

Its the way technology is these days. At least theres more buttons for certain things this time around.

• The footage seems a bit soft from the Spain video. Difficult to judge until we get some not too compress ones. Moire/aliasing seems to be very low, I don't know if they did a 5d mark3, that is trade sharpness for lower aliasing/moire. One thing that seem very good is rolling shutter. From the train and the car shot, there seems to be very little skew.

• @Mimirsan Well, I haven´t used the bmc yet so I can´t have any complaints about it. My experiences make me a bit apprehensive for the whole VG lineup. It seems suspect, even if I have not tried this particular model either. God knows there are ENG cameras with dreadful useability as well.

• How hard would it be for a camera manufacturer to take the 12bit RAW / ProRes 422 capabilities of the BMC, and put it into a camera with the sensor and form factor of the VG900? One can only dream...

• @Sangye

Not very hard, but we are not ready yet. Infrastructure is not ready. Storage and memory are not ready. Chips are not ready, sensors speed must be also improved. I am sure that as soon as small SDHC cards will have speeds that will be suitable for this, all will change fast.

• I think Sony has done what Canon should have done ages ago. Provide the split line up of DSLR and Camcorder in Full Frame. Given us interchangeable lenses and mounts and an option for clean HDMI out to a Prores 422 recorder. Just as with the C100, everyone is obsessed with what is happening in camera, but the real truth is the maximum quality of the output through something like the Hyperdeck shuttle or Ninja. My guess is that while neither is 10 bit, the quality of the C100 is going to be great with their excellent sensor (and especially lack of rolling shutter) and even on this camera we will find enough information for doing some decent grading for specialized projects. Given that this camera does Full HD in 60p, I think it ain't so bad for 3000$, at least not as bad as some here are making it out to be. The BMC is great, but I certainly wouldn't use it as a walkaround camera, and I think that is the point of these kind of promo videos.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Do you think the work on the NEX 5N hack can be brought over to this unit?

I would be interested in a hack that can switch on APS - C crop with legacy lenses --- currently suggested to work only with Sony E lenses.

Also a 4:3 mode would be nice

I can dream.............zzzzzzzzz

• I will be pre-ordering this since I have a bunch of FF & APS-C K-mount lenses and have two PK-NEX adapters for my Pentax FA and DA (FF/APS-C) type lenses on order from Fotodiox. I have also been using them on my GH1/GH2. The VG900 has a switch to use APS-C mode with lenses like my 10-24mm and 18-55mm. My first lens purchase may be the FF Samyang 24mm F1.4 and I have the Steadicam Merlin and will use that on the VG900.

• @joe1946

Remember to express your opinion as soon as you'll get it, ok?

• @Tobsen I haven´t got my normal internet connection, so I can´t see the whole thing.. was everything above shot with the vg900? Or are there snippets in there from it? (It looks a bit shit tbh, but it could be that the handling of the cam / footage is really bad?)

• None video showed until now deserve a FF sensor ;P

• @yoclay Judging from the C300, the C100 has rolling shutter. Far better than 5D, though, about the same as Scarlet.

• Psssssh. Scarlet has less rolling shutter than c300.

• @RRRR according to the review they shot it all with the VG900 using the 24-70/2,8 ZA SSM a-mount and the E PZ 18-200 mm F3,5-6,3 OSS e-mount. He said that there was no stabilization available for the a-mount so it is very shaky without tripod. Also, focusing is supposed to be quite a problem for run and gun shooting since Dof is so shallow. Yeah, I thought it looked like shit as well.

• @Tobsen Ok.. yes, it was shaky no doubt. :) Not surprised by DOF / focus issues. Imagine then in low light-conditions..

• In the above video it says there is in camera stabilizer? In the specs I can't find that. The A99 has it, but does anybody know, whether the sensor of the VG900 is stabilized?