Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sony NEX-VG900 Full Frame camera topic
  • 118 Replies sorted by
  • This seems very exciting to me, something that doesn't exist on the market. Will work great with the F mount lens set I am putting together.

• Vitaliy_Kiselev :"This one is true, believe me :-)"

that will be unbelievable :) (Jobs tm)...

• Well, it is very large, compared to a 5D and it is more expensive. Maybe the looks part is weighing towards this one. youre just not looking like that guy with a photo camera anymore. ;)

• Well, it is very large, compared to a 5D and it is more expensive.

How told you that it is large? Or it is your fantasy?
    As no photos had been released yet.

As for 5D. You never ever checked Mark III price?

• I'm assuming this will have several crop settings, so vignette would be an issue only on the largest setting, hopefully. Hopefully Sony will deliver without the usual BS somewhere in the product. Actually, I'm surprised that no one has really put forth a more serious quantum leap competitor to Canon, so here''s hoping.

• I was infering from the NEX-EA50UH. my bad. In Germany the 5DIII is just under 3200 euros. I imagine when this one is released the 5D might just be under 3000 euros, which would at least make it a strong competitor.

Here's hoping this ridiculous bitrate can be increased from 24mbps- if its not H.265, Image quality will be worse than 5DIII.

• @fatpig

Who would buy this over a 5D?

I would! 5D still has no 60fps in 1080p mode, and sub-720p resolution. It's a no-brainier if there is good down-sampling in this camera. Sony also seems to be ahead in sensor design these days... plus, a Sony FF video-hybrid-thing will most likely have less pixels than a 5D, giving even greater DR and low-light. 5DII was amazing in 2009, 5DIII was never anything special to begin with. Canon really doesn't want people using their DSLRs for video...

The one thing that will get me to NOT buy this cam, is a sub-50mb/s codec. It's just not really excusable to be this low anymore. Hell, even the GoPro pro-tune is 35mb/s. Any new cam has no excuse for being below the 50-100mb/s range.

• I think we will see it in a VG-20 type consumer type camcorder body. For this price they will have to cut corners somewhere.

• @bhwitz: smaller pixels means worse low light quality, where I come from. less photons per pixel. where are you getting this from?

• @fatpig

hmmm... weird, I meant to type "less" pixels, not "smaller".

@subco

It is not all about high bitrates for the best quality.

It very much is for flexibility though... or if you're shooting a flat profile for grading. Sure you can get great looking quality with something like that 24mbp/s AVCHD codec, but you touch the levels or any color control and it falls apart instantly. No room for anything. 24mbp/s is a great spec for a DELIVERY codec (or broadcast footage), not anywhere near sufficient enough for capturing footage you intend to do post work with.

Not to mention, when you're at low bit-rates, it usually means long-GOP coding... which is not only bad for high-motion shooting, but looks video-like. Long-GOP codecs are like the new interlacing. Terrible look to it.

• From rumors:

The camera itself records in 24p/50p (or 60p in USA) at 24Mbit/s (AVCHD). It has a Quad Capsule Spatial Array Stereo Mic, a 3 inch 9k and 270 degree swivel touchscreen. An XGA electronic viewfinder. A manual control jog dial. A dual SD card slot, remote AVR/IR, mic jack and hdmi. The body looks like the current VG-20 camera. Includes(!) the new A-mount LA-EA3 Full Frame adapter.

Price - $3300, or 3300 EUR

• This would probably kill the C100 if the Image quality is on par!

vg900_1.jpg
    608 x 524 - 50K
  • I hope that this new 24 megapixel sony sensor is good in video, because it will be in a number of dslr from Sony and Nikon like the d600.

• I've been impressed with Sony Sensors overall. The D800 has some really nice DR and good resolution. With fewer pixels, this could be the sweet spot in their sensor design. Still curious if it wouldn't be better to have the A99 versus the VG900. At some point have to do a direct comparison of the 2 cameras sharing this sensor.

• Will be interesting to see. In my opinion it needs to sport ND-filters and XLR to fetch my interesting over the coming Nikon D600 (which probably will feature clean HDMI).

On other question: Do you think the Metabones Canon to NEX electronic adaptor will retain the whole image to a NEX full frame sensor? I'm not sure if it's designed for that?

• The camera market is exploding with products and options at the moment. It is a very interesting time

@apefos

look at more expensive cameras like canon c300 and sony f3.

Yes these cameras are wonderful products with a shameful weak point. Both are capable of wonderful images on reference monitors but then they record that lovely image to what were once considered professional codecs like XDCAM and Canon MPEG. Time passed and the professional codecs have been revealed as not doing justice to the picture in the cam. To use these cameras in the future you will make peace with external recorders.

This is the glimpse of the immediate future. All cameras have amazing sensors with recording quality and lens to make the difference in IQ.

• I just bought a Sony AX 2000, it is a good camera, but it is pretty dated at almost 3 years old now. Seeing this makes me question which is better in comparison? Could someone please help me decide if I should keep my 2000 or return it for this newer one?

• @iamsikora

This things are just different and made for different purposes.

One is with small sensor and 20x zoom, and other is just body with full frame sensor. Remember that Sony power zoom is not cheap (but new smaller power zoom announced). And due to large sensor you'll need to close aperture if you are doing doc stuff.

Also remember that from audio side, it is really HDSLR, no XLR until you get extra pricey addon (much better is to just get third party preamp or recorder).

• Now, this is a good "HACK" investment :P

• Personally I think it´s crazy that they chose the previous vg-line form factor for it. It could have been really interesting if it had been more like the early rumours - an ENG light if you will. Weight / Size is not so much an issue either as many FF lenses are huge.

Obviously, it will propably still be a viable option for dslr videographers, if the quality holds up. (No doubt it seems like a better prospect than a mk III).

• @RRRR

Generally, I like this small form factor.

XLR could be good, of course, but someone was aftaid that it can be too much.

• Ok - I'm a convert - I like this thing.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Small form factor is good, however I don´t like the lack of dedicated / programmable buttons on the VG series.. It´s like working with any cheap camcorder these days. Endless browsing of menus. Maybe this will be better on the VG900, can´t say.

Oh, and I really hate smart phones (I want a phone that can call and send messages, with buttons) btw so maybe that is something to take into consideration when reading my opinion. ;)